Jogglers April 2016

RapidBreath

Cathlete
I have been in and out of the chiropractors office a lot. Every time I see him, I have to recover for a couple of days. I'm starting with walking a mile and stretch max with the band.

Jane- Do we have another April thread? I can't seem to find it.

Tricia- How are you? How is your back? Have you played golf lately?

Alisha

Alisha ~ I don't think so. I think this should be the April/May thread. I can't believe April is half over. Where does the time go? I'm glad you are getting some walks in and taking your time.

I have been working out consistently. I did a 5K last weekend. It was small - under 50 people. Most of it was run on a paved trail which was nice. I was ahead of my friend for the 1st half but she overtook me at the turn around and I couldn't catch up with her. We may have won awards but we had to wait over an hour for the awards ceremony so we left. It was a well run race and even chipped timed.

This weekend we are going up to Vidalia (home of the onion) to do a 10K race up there. We are spending the night since it's a 3 hour drive so we are leaving tomorrow. I'm excited to do a different race in a town that I have never been too.

My knees are achy but they don't seem to bother me when I run. I have been foam rolling.

Hi Tricia!

Tricia- I hope you are getting workout in!

Jane- Great job on those workouts. Your race sounds great. Enjoy your 10k! I hope your knees are feeling good.

I have been doing some foam rolling too. I did a 35 minute workout I picked up at the dollar store 'Kathy Kaehler Basics'. It's not bad, it is very much like Gin Miller's original 'Step Reebok' workout. Not too dancy and rather straight forward but still a good solid workout.

I did a 35 minute cardio/lower body/ab circuit DVD from Prevention with Chris Freytag as the instructor. It's called 3-2-1 3 minutes cardio, 2 minutes strength training and 1 minute abs. Then I did 15 minutes of foam rolling. My left ankle complained in the evening so I put my tens machine on it.

Hello!

My run on Saturday was fun. I took 3rd place in my age group. It was a small race. Afterwards we had onion rings. Delicious! My knees are feeling better and did not bother me at all.

I ran 3.5 miles tonight. It was in the low 80's, breezy and overcast so it was a good run. On Monday I did an upper body weight workout and afterwards my sister and I tossed around an 18# dynaball. It was a good workout.

Alisha ~ Good job on the workouts! I hope your ankle feels better.

My ankle is feeling better. I had a chiropractic appointment this morning. I'm resting now.

Congratulations on coming in third in your age group!

Alisha ~ I'm glad your ankle is feeling better.

I run 9 miles this morning. It's getting warmer here so I had to get up extra early to get out there. Yesterday was a kettlebell, ball slam workout mixed in with some running.

Happy May Day!!

Hi girls!

I know I haven't been around, but you two are always in my thoughts!

I have been playing golf as much as possible! My neck and hip are doing great! (knock on wood)

Glad to hear you two have been getting in some workouts! Jane, I've never been to Vidalia! I love the onions though!

Well, in the midst of trying to get organized for our two-step move, Stephen's father died. We found out a week after it happened. Apparently, he had gone down to southwest Mexico to work with a mission in a town just over the border from Guatemala. According to the newspaper, he drowned. They found his body on the beach and identified him from his passport that they found when they located his car. We didn't even know he had gone down there. Stephen is there now trying to get things situated The embassy is helping him.
This is really something we didn't need right now. We already are going to be struggling to afford Stephen's move without his income (as small as it is) now that he's done at UConn. This will be money out of our pockets and we have no idea if his father has a WIll or life insurance or anything. Lots of work to do with his estate now.

I know that sounds bad. I didn't know him well. I had only met him twice. Stephen wasn't close to him either. He and Stephen's mom divorced when he and his sister were really young. He never paid child support and only got back in touch with Stephen after we got married.

It was such a shock. Someone at the mission emailed Stephen. They found out from the article in the paper. He had finished his work with the mission and just stayed on off-site. I hope Stephen gets some answers and can get the body cremated and sent back to the states easily and without having to make another trip down there.

Other than that, I'm just trying to keep going. I work, I golf and that's about it.

I just hope nothing else happens!

Stephen graduates this Sunday, then he's making his trip to Bowling Green to find housing for us and start meeting with the IT people to find out about what they can do for him for his research computing needs. He's going to merge that with a trip to his father's house in Wisconsin to start looking for documents and, hopefully, scatter his ashes on the lake there, which is what he wanted.

If we survive all of this, it will be a miracle!

Keep us in your thoughts and prayers or whatever else you have!

Take care! I'm still not working out, but I probably really need it if only for the psychological relief!

Love you two!

Tricia ~ I'm sorry to hear about Stephen's dad. That is sad and shocking. I hope everything works out on that end and you get the estate settled quickly. I'm sending you good thoughts, prayers and positive vibes. Don't get caught up in the negative thoughts (I know that it's hard not to). Just take one day at a time, one step at a time. Know that everything will work out in the end. It usually does. It's the getting there and having faith that there is light at the end of the tunnel.

There really isn't anything in Vidalia. It's a nice town but it's in the middle of nowhere. I think the population is about 10,000 people so it's a small town but not tiny.

Alisha ~ Hope all is well.

Thanks Jane! I'm trying to stay positive and not look too far ahead. I played golf today - it was cold and damp and I froze and played my worst round EVER! Oh, well. At least I wasn't sitting on my bum all day! lol

Tomorrow is Stephen's graduation. He got home around 10:30 last night with his Dad's ashes. I'm glad he was able to get that done. He still needs to get the embassy to produce U.S. death certificates from the Mexican one. Stephen had to bribe the coroner to produce it. Apparently, they don't worry about that sort of thing down there when people die.

I'm looking forward to some warmer weather and sunshine next week. It has been cold and rainy all week and I've had to run the heat! I just hope graduation is indoors tomorrow!

Hi Alisha! Hope all is well!

Tricia I am sorry to hear that Stephen's dad died. But, tell him congratulations on his graduation :)
We have a new addition to the family, my cousin gave birth to her daughter a little over a week ago. It's terribly exciting because she is the first baby for that generation.

It is expected to be in the mid 70s today.

I kind of felt sick last night. This morning I have a chiropractic appointment. I went for a hike with my dad yesterday.

Tricia ~ Congratulations on Stephen's graduation! Good job on golfing in the damp and cold weather.

Alicia ~ I hope you are feeling better. The hike with your dad sounds nice.

I did a small 5K race on Saturday morning. It was a gorgeous morning and always fun to hear roosters crowing on the race course. I placed 2nd in my age group and my sister took 3rd place. I got reacquainted with a man that I met in 2008 at a race. He is 78 years old and I finally beat him although it took me most of the race to do that. He has done 1100+ races and wants to get to 1500 races by the time he is 85. He told me that he runs every day and does 200 push ups. Very inspiring!

Sunday was a 7.5 mile run, Monday was a total body weight workout and yesterday was a rest day. I'm planning to run either 3.5 - 4 miles tonight.

Hi Alisha! Congrats to your cousin! I'll bet that's going to be one spoiled little girl! Your hike sounds fun! Hope you had a good treatment from your chiro and you are feeling better today!

Jane - Glad you had a good race! Cool that your running buddy has such a great goal! I'll bet he makes it! I'm impressed too that he has don that much running and is still at it!

I played terrible golf on Tuesday evening! Ugh! I'm in a slump! Then I felt awful all day yesterday with sneezing and itching from being outside. Had to take a ZyrtecD at lunch and I had taken an Ibuprofen in the morning for all my stiffness and back and neck pain. Don't know why my back was hurting, but it's fine now. The Zyrtec made me feel awful! It cleared up the allergy symptoms, but man, was I loopy the rest of the day! Feeling fine today. Just a little sneezing.

Nothing much else going on at the moment. I'm really glad! Glad tomorrow is Friday! Playing golf on Saturday if it isn't raining. We all agree that we don't want to play in the rain any more!

Happy Monday!!

I'm tired this morning. I had a busy weekend. I worked out in the morning and then was at my mom's house on Saturday working in her yard. Yesterday was a 9 mile run. It was a gorgeous morning and cool as well. I got home and did stuff around the house. By the afternoon I was tuckered out.

Tricia ~ Sorry you had a bad golf outing and that she felt back afterwards. I hope you are feeling better now. I hope you got your golf game in on Saturday and had a good weekend.

Alisha ~ Hope all is well on your end.

Dad and I got home from our trip to see the new baby. She is a sweetheart. She slept on my shoulder for four hours!

I went to see the chiropractor this morning. I'm always tired and need rest afterwards. I have been in contact with my medical doctors and my results are back: I don't have a thyroid issue. But, I do have a condition called PCOS. Ugh. That's why my weight is so hard to control and why I'm tired. The next thing to do is to get my liver checked out to make sure I don't have fatty liver like my brother, that determines what I can and cannot take.

Weather wise, we are in the warmer phase of spring. It was close to 90 degrees yesterday, but we expect it to be cool for just a couple more days. I love cool weather.

Tricia- I'm sorry that you had that headache and needed the Zyrtec. I hate taking any kind of antihistamine. They just knock me out.

Jane- That nine mile run sounds lovely.

Hello!

Jane - Nice run!

Alisha - I've heard of PCOS. That can be really tough on weight loss! Hope the liver tests come back okay! Your weather sounds wonderful! We've had some great days, but it's going to barely make 60 tomorrow. Ugh! Spring is so tough here! It's up and down, and up and down. Just when you get used to a few nice, warm days, it gets cold again!

Today was a beautiful day! Was up at 5:00 (blech!) to be at the Triggs Golf Course in downtown Providence by 6:30 for a 6:56 tee time. You know how much I love early mornings! I must say though, it was gorgeous and great to be finished before noon! We had brunch and I was home by 1 p.m. instead of getting home at 3 p.m. and the day being done. It got cloudy and started getting cool after brunch. We hit the early 70s by 11. Mid-week we should be in the 80s!

I talked to my brother today. He saw mom on Mother's Day. He said she wasn't very engaged and is starting to get lesions on her skin. The head person at the facility called him this week. They are moving mom to the next level of care. She's lost 2 lbs. and is having trouble eating. She needs more care now. They are also calling hospice to get evaluations done and paperwork started to prepare for that phase. The head person is very good there according to my brother and she likes to get things ready early. He said that she told him that mom still has good days when she talks to them and does well, but she suspects that she won't last but another 6-10 months. That's just an estimate. So, we talked about arrangements for mom after she passes.

This is a crap year. Even with Stephen's graduation and getting a job, the move is going to be stressful and he needs to find work over the summer to support the second household. His dad died and he's dealing with all of that and now we could lose mom before the end of the year.

He left for Ohio on Tuesday and found us an apartment on Wednesday. He'll probably be moving early to mid-June since that's when the apartment will be ready. There was no availability in July. He'll find work when he gets there. From there, he went to Chicago for the R in Finance conference that he goes to every year. Tomorrow, he'll go back to BGSU to discuss the student fund with the professor who used to run it, then he'll head to Wisconsin to check out his dad's place there and look for documents, then he'll come home for a bit before he has to go back to Wisconsin for a memorial and to spread his dad's ashes with his sister. At some point in there, he has to put the boat and shell on the market, pack and probably move. Oh, and he's doing all this driving instead of flying! Ugh!

I just want to curl up in a ball and hide in a hole until it's all over!

On the bright side, I've worked out twice. I'm doing the XTrain 30-day strength only rotation and my golf game improved a bit today.

Whew! When it hits the fan it REALLY hits the fan!

I hope you two have a great day tomorrow and a good week!

Happy Monday!

I have a short week as I will be off on Friday and will not go back to work until June 1. Yippee!!

This weekend was busy. I was up at 6:15 to make a birthday cake for my sister, did a workout and finished the cake and got to mom's house at noon for the celebration. I was there until 4 or so. Yesterday I was up at 6:15 again to get a 9 mile run in before heading to mom's house for the day. It was gorgeous....in the 80's and breezy. I think that will be last of the cool weather for a while now.

Alisha ~ I'm glad you had a good trip and got to see the baby. I have heard of PCOS but don't know much about it. I hope all is well with your liver test. I'm sending you prayers and good vibes.

Tricia ~ My goodness, you do have a lot on your plate right now. Don't think too far in advance, just take a day as it comes. I'm sorry about your mom. It reminds me of how it was with my dad at the end. Prayers to you and your family. Great job on the workouts and the golf. Keep positive and focus on the good things.

Have a great day!

Tricia- I am sorry about your Mom and Stephen's Dad. That can be really hard. You are right, when it hits the fan, it really hits the fan; last year, my family lost 5 people in one week. :( Just stick to your workouts, eat lots of healthy food, and do some yoga to keep your head above water.

Jane- Thanks for the good vibes for my tests! Enjoy your time off.

I haven't heard from my doctor yet. I went to see the chiropractor, he recommended that I have some green algae to help support my liver. He was the one that figured out it was my liver and he thought that my liver was responsible for why I fell, poor liver function can cause that.

I'm still waiting for information from the doctor.

Today was in the 70s, we expect to see 90 by the weekend. Then it's full summer as far as the forecast can see on Accuweather.

Alisha ~ I hope you hear some news soon. It's still cool in the mornings here but it's been in the 90's in the afternoon. At least it's breezy and the humidity is low.

I have been nursing a sore baby toe and foot since Tuesday night. My sister and I were playing around (sounds like we're 10 years old) and I hit the leg of a chair between my fourth toe and my baby toe. Yikes. I have a 8K on Monday that I'm still hoping to do. It's getting better but still bruised and sore. I didn't workout on Wednesday but I did a seated upper body workout on Thursday night. I rested yesterday. I was suppose to the Crossfit Murph workout today but I had to modify. I cut out the 2 - mile runs and the jumping pull ups. I did 100 med ball elephants, 200 girlie push ups and 300 squats. Then I did a bunch of other exercises with the med ball (russian twists, sit ups, seated half moon, seated halos, seated overhead tricep extensions and more elephants) while will waiting for my sisters to finish the final run. I have nothing else planned for the day.

Tricia ~ I hope all is well with you.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.