Jessica Simpson selling plus sized jeans?

Someone just posted this: I thought it was funny! She makes a good point too. I think it's pretty ridiculous!

QUOTE---
"I'm sorry but if you want to sell plus size clothes to plus size women you need a plus size model or actress to be the spokesperson. And there are plenty out there who would be more than happy to do so. I mean give me a break. Would you use Hillary Clinton to sell hair relaxer to African American women?"

:7

On the one hand it's absurd. But on the other hand........

OK you know the models who do ads for things like Pantene & Suave shampoos? Do you think they really use that stuff?

Or the Oil of Olay models?

Do you think Andie McDowell colors her hair at home with Loreal? Or Sarah Jessica Parker?

It's just another example of a BS celebrity endorsement. Heck, I'd sell plus sized jeans too if someone paid me enough. ;-)

How does someone with Jessica Simpson's body sell plus size clothes anyway? Is she going to pack on some pounds for this??

My guess would be it's just about the profit. I'm sure there are plenty of plus size girls out there that think they will look like JS if they wear the jeans she supposedly wears. Pretty sad.

She also has that line of edible lotions and those sensual products, but if you watched Newleyweds, Nick makes it sound like he hardly ever gets any, so she's just a false advertiser. : )

She also has that line of edible lotions and those sensual products, but if you watched Newleyweds, Nick makes it sound like he hardly ever gets any, so she's just a false advertiser. : )

LOL! You're right. I've seen the show a few times and do remember that. Of course we have to take that with a grain of salt; I think MOST men say that no matter how much they do get!

I did see on tv that Jessica has started her own clothing line. My guess is, they make some of the stuff in plus size, too. It makes perfect sense. With obesity what it is today, if Jessica limited the clothes to only "regular" sizes, she'd only be tapping about 45% of the market...if that! I hope there will come a day when "plus size" sections of junior clothes and kids clothes are no longer there...way too sad!;(

I think a couple pairs of those jeans look really cute. I hope they aren't only available in plus sizes.

>Since when is 12 a PLUS size?? That's ridiculous if you ask
>me!
>

It is ridiculous, but that's the term they use for models who wear a size 12 and up. A "plus size" model can be anywhere from size 12 to size who-knows-what.

I wear some size 12 tops (because of the width of my shoulders), and there's no way anyoone would consider me "plus sized".

Yikes, I wear a size 12. Perhaps compared to other actresses in LA, she is considered HUGE. Some of those gals are sooo sickly thin.

J.S. selling plus sized clothing is as ridiculous as it would be if she sold educational toys for kids. I never liked her because it's hard for me to respect anyone who flaunts being uneducated/uninformed(perhaps just plain dumb) as a way to be liked by the public. And from clips I have seen, she did just that on that strange show with her husband.
I wish she'd "go overseas to Canada" like Britney has done, and perhaps stay there.
:)

My take on it is this: The main thing advertisers tap into in their ads is hope. That's why half the ads you see out there have nothing to do with the products, but with quality of life.

Cigarette ads are a prime example: the rugged Marlboro man in a healthy outdoorsy setting, the emancipated (and, of course, gorgeous) Virginia Slims woman... Buy this product and you'll be (fill in the blank -- sexy, beautiful, happy, loved by everyone...).

Plus-sized women probably wouldn't consciously think they look like a size 2 Jessica Simpson in her jeans, but there's that faint glimmer of hope that they could.

I don't get what is so "ridiculous" about Plus-sized women wanting to wear cute jeans. I just looked at those jeans and they're really cute! (and they are priced right!) Why shouldn't a Plus-sized person be afforded the opportunity to buy cute stuff? JS is a marketing whiz. I'm not a fan of her music or Newlywed show, but I give her props for her marketing savvy because even I succumbed and bought some of her lip gloss. I hope she does well with this line (I'm sure she will).

And no, I do NOT think that plus-sized women expect to look like JS if they wear her jeans. It seems that there is a misconception that plus-sized people are stupid and should should dress like frumps. I'm sure I'm not the only one on this board who has been a size 14 or 16 at one time in their life and would have loved some cuter jeans to wear. Give these women a break already. It's hard enough being overweight. Just because someone isn't a size 2, 4 or 6 doesn't mean they shouldn't have cute clothes!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.