Janet Jackson has ruined my wardrobe.

That, and
>the current trend of girls and teenagers wearing sweatpants
>with things like "juicy" eblazoned across the rear. Yikes.
>
>
>Sparrow
>
>___________________
>www.scifichics.com

Egads!!! I rode along with my best friend the other day when she picked her kids up from school and I saw a lot of that, and girls in pajama bottoms. What's up with that? Frankly, it looked like they were holding a hookers convention on the school grounds what with all the very low rise jeans and cropped tops with bellies hanging out. ICK!!! What are parents thinking!?

Michele

Well, Western society in general tends to swing along a pendulum from very conservative to very liberal. What happens is, people go too far to one extreme, those in the middle get fed up, and then the pendulum swings back the other way. This works in both politics and fashion.

Personally, I am glad to hear this. I don't consider myself a conservative person, but I think some of the fashions on the market today are just ridiculous. I am tired of worrying about my boys looking at skin at every turn, not to mention watching Victoria Secret models stripping during regular television hours.

Marie

Maximus,

Yeah, I hear ya. I went and bought some Tilt jeans last week from Pac Sun and noticed the boyfriend styles and some others that had a weird fit for me. YUCK, just don't like all of that. Prefer my low rise...more like super low rise with flared bottoms more than anything. And I don't want to hide my belly either. What are we suppose to do? I can't stand wearing jeans clear up to my rib cage anymore!!!! LOL!

Charlotte~~

I agree Marie that things are cyclical with just about everything. I just hate it that now my body's in the shape I want it to be I can't find the type of clothes I want to wear. I think you can wear midriff tops & low slung jeans w/o looking like a ho.

And I really hate the new Victorian look. I think it's ugly. Also gauchos. I hated them in the 70s, I can't think of any reason to like them now. :p

I saw a lot of that,
>and girls in pajama bottoms. What's up with that?

Is that still "in"? I saw that a lot last year on campus. Even worse, pj bottoms and fuzzy slippers! On the street! In class! What a bunch of slobs American kids can be!

If I planned to roll out of bed and just go in whatever I was wearing, I WOULDN'T wear p.j.s, but rather a t-shirt and workout pants or sweats (my usual sleep wear in the winter, anyway...and I've been known to wear it all day on days off!)

>Also gauchos. I hated them in the 70s, I can't think of any
>reason to like them now. :p

I actually think some of the gauchos look cute (the floawy ones that have lettuce edging) but they look best with high shoes (maybe strappy ones). I absolutely HATE the heavier textured gauchos. They are SO ugly!

Sadly, they are making people bigger these days (and clothes!). I am just happy to just find pants that fit....heck, I am not really sure if I care what they look like anymore. I just jump for joy when I find a pair not too big or too short!!

Robin:*

Robin, I agree totally with you on how hard it is to find clothes that fit. I had a much easier time finding clothes when I was larger. Luckily I sew and can make my own clothes. But between work and family, I don't have much time.

Lisa

>I agree Marie that things are cyclical with just about
>everything. I just hate it that now my body's in the shape I
>want it to be I can't find the type of clothes I want to wear.
> I think you can wear midriff tops & low slung jeans w/o
>looking like a ho.
>
>And I really hate the new Victorian look. I think it's ugly.
>Also gauchos. I hated them in the 70s, I can't think of any
>reason to like them now. :p

Laura I agree that one can wear low-slung jeans and midriff tops without looking like a ho, just like one can wear more fabric and not look like Ma Ingalls. But for my money there's just too much skin being shown in America today. Midriffs, low-slung, thongs hanging out, "muffin" tops, bulging cleavage...my god, all that exposed flesh makes me nervous! :D And what's with the men walking around with their shirts off?! Unless you're at the beach or the pool KEEP IT ON, gents! No one wants to see that.

Seriously though, each to her own! Good luck avoiding the gauchos....:D

Sparrow

www.scifichics.com

I have to admit I'm glad the belly bearing tops are on their way out. I did get tired of saying all that stomach hanging out and with the low rise jeans even if your slim and have the slightest lower pooch, or rather if you've had children and that area is stubborn, you weren't trying to wear the high top with the low jeans. So although I like the low jeans I prefer to wear them with a nicely fitted shirt. I think you can be sexy and nice looking with most of your clothes on. It lends a little more mystery to a woman.

Hi Laura, well I started buying my clothes from victorias secret, I like their form fitting Tees, I like the low rise pants. And they aren't anymore expensive than any other major store.....

Rhonda

IA Rhonda--VS is one of the few stores where I can still buy "going out" clothes. Also shopbop.com but of course you have to be judicious with them, their stuff is extremely expensive.

Personally, I rather like low rise jeans. I don't however, like how some people choose to wear them. I think that nicely fitting clothes will never(HOPEFULLY!!)go out of fashion, but I do agree that trends come and go so it's best to find something you like because you like it, and not because it's fashionable. A lot of the fashion mishaps that we are discussing are not because of the clothes, but because of the way they are being worn. People are wearing clothes that just don't fit their bodies. If I wore super low rise in 3 sizes too small, then they would look terrible on me. I just think it's a matter of wearing clothes that fit your body!! Don't blame the clothes, blame the people wearing them!

Ok, I'm done!;-)
carolyn

Also shopbop.com but of course you have
>to be judicious with them, their stuff is extremely
>expensive.

Wow Laura. I had never heard of shopbop.com. What a great website! I'm so glad you mentioned it. I live in the shopping dead zone so I'm always glad to find a great new website.

Michele

The fashion pendulum is always going to swing back and forth. And everything seems to come around again in about 20 year cycles.

That said, I'm short-waisted, so I love the moderate low-rise jeans. I don't wear the super lows. I also prefer a bootcut because it balances out the hips and I think looks flattering to most women.

In general, I wear what flatters me. I don't try to keep up with all the latest fashion trends - which, lucky for me, usually don't hit Arkansas until much later. I avoid anything too bizarre because I can't afford to wear something for only one season. It's hard to go wrong with classics.

I say there's nothing wrong with "body conscious" clothes, if they're tastefully styled and worn for the appropriate occasions. I love the clothing at Venus, (http://www.venusswimwear.com/) but it's not stuff I'd wear to work. Victoria's Secret catalog has career clothing that's still sexy.

I'd say my biggest issue is finding sexy, attractive clothing... that happy middle ground between teeny-bopper and middle aged frump.

Didn't mean to write a novel... just got on a roll.

It is not Janet Jackson fault.

Fashion/wardrobe change and recycles itself over and over again.

My thing, wear what you want...if it makes you feel good then do it.

Linda

"We may encounter many defeats but we must not be defeated."
Maya Angelou

I don't really understand this. jcrew.com and especially gap.com are stuffed full of low rise jeans. I personally do not think the low rise jean will ever fade because women feel so much more comfortable in them and because a whole generation of women has grown up with them and simply associates "low rise" with "jeans." If The Gap and other jeans manufacturers know what is good for them, they will continue to make them.

But I hate belly revealing tops. And I hate sdeeing people's underwear, especially things, when they lean over or bend down in extra low rise jeans. Why don't they just do a Superman and wear their underwear on the top?

Clare

Clare

>I must admit that I for one am grateful for the latest more
>modest fashion trends. As much as I appreciate how a woman
>who works hard on her body likes to show it off, and by all
>means she has the right, I just can't handle seeing any more
>enormous love handles exploding over the top of jeans, or
>seeing the guts of women wearing crop tops who really
>shouldn't be. Just my 2 cents though!

You are NEVER LYING ABOUT THAT!!!

How some women/girls can have that fat hanging over their bellys and "THINK THEY GOT IT GOIN' ON" is beyond me....and the crop tops, if you are not TONED...don't even TRY IT....

Linda

"We may encounter many defeats but we must not be defeated."
Maya Angelou

You guys, this whole thread has me depressed! (Except when LOL about zipper jeans, etc.) I was shopping today (very rare), and I was trying some stuff on, and I looked in the mirror and there was so much cellulite I couldn't belive it. I really don't think I'm that out of shape until I see myself in the mirror.

Low rise and ultra low rise and just below waist and at waist... I'd chose just below waist. Any lower and whenever I bend over (in the dressing room) you can see my underwear!! But it is terribly depressing when they fit at the waist but not in the thighs. Sigh. I guess I need to somehow eat less. Hard to imagine doing that.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.