Janet Jackson has ruined my wardrobe.

Maximus

Cathlete
OK this is my latest fashion rant. Has anyone else noticed how much more conservative the latest fashions are? No more belly baring tops. The "boyfriend fit" jeans are more popular than slim fit. Super low rise jeans are on their way out. "Blouson" tops, dolman sleeves, baggy shirts are now in style. Fashion editors are blaming Janet's snafu at the Superbowl for all this.

Personally I think it sucks, especially for people like us. We work hard on our bodies & we should be able to show them off, not hide them under baggy old lady clothes.

I must admit that I for one am grateful for the latest more modest fashion trends. As much as I appreciate how a woman who works hard on her body likes to show it off, and by all means she has the right, I just can't handle seeing any more enormous love handles exploding over the top of jeans, or seeing the guts of women wearing crop tops who really shouldn't be. Just my 2 cents though!

I prefer a more modest style of dress. I think a lean, hard body shows through the clothing. I don't think modest has to mean "baggy, old lady" clothes! ETA I guess what I'm trying to say is that I like "classic" clothes rather than trendy styles.

Michele

LOL Laura! You don't have to buy anything you don't like. I won't be buying those boyfriend fit jeans either. I think low rise will always be in style, just not super low and more like a little bit low in the front and higher in the back which might be the end of the butt cleavage as we all know and hate to see all the time. Basically blouson tops, dolman sleeves and baggy shirts are not for everybody. Personally, I'm a little bit top heavy and I can't wear all those because I look heavier (and even bigger on top) than what I actually am. When it comes to fashion I always find a happy medium, something that's actually in style, but not too trendy it'll go out of style the next season, something that doesn't make me look like an old lady, and something that is figure flattering. Fashion editors can blame it on Janet all they want, but remember it's a business and they can't stick to the same styles all the time because they have to make money. What makes you fashion savvy and not a victim is to buy key pieces that are somewhat trendy and look good for your body type and mix it with pieces you already own and you know work for you. Avoid doing the trendy look from head to toe. :)

Good news to me! I'm with activegirl on being sick of seeing overweight teenage girls bulges squeezing out of too tight, too low pants. Put a shirt over it ! LOL

Nobody needs to wear "baggy old lady clothes", and I don't think that's where fashion is trying to go. As long as clothes fit properly a good body shows through, no matter what the style.

>As long as we don't return to the clown-like and
>football-player-like styles of the 80's, I am ok.

Or MC-Hammer pants like the early 90's haha.

Well, it's not really a matter of NOT buying clothes I don't like, it's more a matter of actually FINDING clothes I do like.

I am with Laura on this one. I don't want all the baggy loose clothing back in. I LOVE the low rise pants! They can't take those away!!

i tend to wear whatever and not give a crap what fashion mags and others think. with that in mind i usually find those flare jeans i love so much at thrift stores. not ashamed to admit it,actually proud of it LOL. although i for one would like girls to cover up more, its not a good image for young tweens to try to emulate their favorite pop star by baring belly and shorty shorts. there is a place for all that and its called playboy and sports illustrated. JMHO though, so nobody get offended by that.

kassia

When they discover the center of the universe, a lot of people will be
disappointed to discover they are not it -- Bernard Bailey

I'm having trouble understanding why Janet Jackson and her tasteless publicity stunts would have so much power over current fashions???? Surely the cycles clothing styles go through have more that influences them from decade to decade than one so-called celebrity's appearance at a sporting event?? That makes absolutely no sense to me.

Carol
:)

Do you think zippers in the bottom of jeans will ever come back?:+ I was in grade 7 the when I bought my first pair of santana jeans and I was in my GLEE!
I for one can't wait to be able to buy a pair of jeans that DO NOT have stretch in them.I would just like to be able to find a pair of jeans that I can wear with sneakers that are not skin tight.Strecthy pants are just to tight...especially after you take them out of the wash:eek:
Lori:)

OMG Lori, with the bows on the top of the zippers? And remember that ugly stonewash? LOL!

I always get stretch denim but I get one size larger, they fit perfectly.

I just can't handle seeing any more
>enormous love handles exploding over the top of jeans, or
>seeing the guts of women wearing crop tops who really
>shouldn't be. Just my 2 cents though!

Amen to that!
Just say no to crack (and muffin tops)!
Though there should be a nice middle ground: low-rise doesn't have to be "I can see your crack" low, but just below the belly button.

I think there's a back lash in general among the public and even the teens against styles. Plus the trend right now is for more conservatism. Janet Jackson may have ignited the fervor, but she's not the only reason. I have mixed emotions because the lower rise jeans fit me better. I have a thicker waist and some brands simply cut me in two when I wear them. But I have to admit that I'm happy to see my 16 year old DD more covered up. She has a fabulous body, but I think she looks prettier wearing things that are not as tight or as skimpy. As someone else said - a well conditioned body will shine in any clothes.

my favorite fit for jeans will always be the men's 501 button fly. they were so comfortable and they would get worn looking easily. alas, they stopped making them the same cut, or my body shape changedx( so i wear the low-ries ones. is that what "boyfriend cut" is? i have only heard that description used in the VS catolog...?

jes

>OMG Lori, with the bows on the top of the zippers? And
>remember that ugly stonewash? LOL!
>
>I always get stretch denim but I get one size larger, they fit
>perfectly.

oh man i remember being in 7th and 8th grade trying to make my own stonewash LOL. man, the memories

kassia

I will never not wear low rise jeans! I can't stand the feel of the snap pressing into me. Second hand stores are a great place to get jeans that you can no longer find in the regular stores. And, I totally agree about a nice body shining through clothes.

I don't mind a more conservative style...I wear what I want regardless of the trends, but if I never have to see another young girl dressed like a hooker, I'll be happy. That, and the current trend of girls and teenagers wearing sweatpants with things like "juicy" eblazoned across the rear. Yikes.

Sparrow

>I will never not wear low rise jeans! I can't stand the feel
>of the snap pressing into me. Second hand stores are a great
>place to get jeans that you can no longer find in the regular
>stores. And, I totally agree about a nice body shining
>through clothes.

i do like lose rise jeans myself and match it with the perfect top can really show off curves in the hips(like i need help there LOL) and nice butt without showing much. gotta to leave something for the imagination.

>the current trend of girls and teenagers wearing sweatpants
>with things like "juicy" eblazoned across the rear. Yikes.

oh good god don't i know it. and its not even teens anymore its little kids too. my daughter, who has sensory issues b/c of autism, hates jeans so we have to buy atheltic and stretchy pants. most of what i picked up at wal-mart and target and those sayings on them. my daughter is 6, i have enough worry about somebody snatching her up without making a billboard out of her with "cutie pie" or "baby girl". the only pair of sweats i have like that say ROCKER GIRL on it. hubby thought it was fitting more me.

kassia

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.