janet evanovich

for those that read her novels,which one do i start with? one for the money i guess but she has so many others that do not start with numbers,if that makes since. i want to give some of her audio books for xmas

laura

Laura, the number series is funny and fast. You don't have to read them in order if you don't want. They do follow the characters from one to the next, but still, you can read them out of order. I, however, being the OCD reader that I am, HAD to start from 1 and work my way up! :p

Her other books, the between the numbers books, are all stand alone books, with the exception of Metro Girl and Motor Mouth. These 2 were released in that order and like the number series, follow the characters from one to the next. Her romance novels are all stand alone and have different sets of characters and story lines.

ALL her books are fun and quick. I like to read books like these in between the really 'heavy' stuff and when I need a break. HAVE FUN!

Gayle

I mildly disagree about being able to read the number series out of order. I think you can't get the full impact of some of the characters' actions if you don't know the history behind them. Sure, they're still amusing but they are much more so if you have the background. They really are fun books to read.

I downloaded one of them to listen to on a trip and was very disappointed in the narration. The woman's voice and her interpretation of the characters' voices were so far off from what I had in my head that it was disconcerting. Maybe starting from scratch you won't have that pre-set notion. The one I downloaded was "fourteen" so I was pretty set in my ways, I guess.

In any case -- enjoy!

I totally agree that these books are better read in order. I have never read the other books just the numbers.

I have read all of Janet Evanovich's books - even the re-released romance ones. She is a great writer - fast paced and funny. I read the books but do like audio books. My library has MP3's you can download to computer, which is nice.

Carrie

Huge JE fan here, but that said, I don't like her stand alone books. The Stephanie Plum (numbers) series is where it's at. Metro Girl is ok, but those others are just not worth it. Start with One for the Money and go in order. Enjoy!

I mildly disagree about being able to read the number series out of order. I think you can't get the full impact of some of the characters' actions if you don't know the history behind them. Sure, they're still amusing but they are much more so if you have the background. They really are fun books to read.

I downloaded one of them to listen to on a trip and was very disappointed in the narration. The woman's voice and her interpretation of the characters' voices were so far off from what I had in my head that it was disconcerting. Maybe starting from scratch you won't have that pre-set notion. The one I downloaded was "fourteen" so I was pretty set in my ways, I guess.

In any case -- enjoy!

Nancy, great picture.
I agree the narrators voice makes such a big difference. I have them all on audio. And when they switch to a different reader it can get annoying especially when they don't pronounce the names the same.
For me the worse, was the narrator of Seven Up. CJ something I think (although I think Lorelie King recorded also). Didn't like r voice at all.CJ's voice at all. I like Lori Petty and Debi Mazar well enough. And of course by now I am used to Lorelie King.

Janet Evanovich is one of my favorite authors. She really develops her characters as she progresses from book one on up. You can read the books out of order, but I recommend going in order.
Michelle

i was going to buy audio cds of hers for xmas but from what ive read on this thread,they're not good. i did buy the first 3 books for my sisters bday.

laura

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.