I've just been diagnosed with colon cancer

joyceann619

Cathlete
Dear Cathe and the educated crowd;

My name is Joyce and I'm a 38 yr old mother of three, and I've just been diagnosed with colon cancer. I had surgery to remove my tumor and my colon was " reconnected". I do have lesions on my liver and I'll start chemo in a few weeks to get rid of that.

I was wondering if anybody else has been through this or any other form of cancer and if they could recommend nutrition books and how to get back into exercising. I will be allowed to exercise in about 4 weeks.

I'm determined to beat this! and I have alot of support from my family and friends. And I know it will be beneficial for my psyche to maintain an exercise program.

Fondly,
Joyce

Hello, Joyce!

First of all:

MASSIVE HUGS TO YOU!!!!!

We're with you on this one, and I applaud your attitude. And you're bulls-eye right - safe purposive exercise will help in all facets of your recovery.

Having said that, I know precisely nothing about the specifics of exercise and cancer recovery. However, I did a brief "Google" search with the keywords "cancer+recovery+exercise" and voila - a long list of resources popped up.

I know there are great books on the subject out there, and I'd bet you'll find a lot of good resources starting with the Human Kinetics website (www.humankinetics.com) - HK is a real clearinghouse for GOOD information (not dot-com crap) on exercise protocols and benefits.

HTH - let us know how you are doing!

A-Jock

I don't have any experience, etc on colon cancer but I wanted to send you BIG HUGS.

Praying for a 100% recovery for you.

Please keep us updated on how you are doing.

~Dana

Dear Joyce,

I have never had cancer, but my heart goes out to you. I am glad that you have a lot of support and that you have such a good attitude about this.

Please keep us posted.

Maggie

Hello, Joyce! Me again -

For sheer practical inspiration, I think a great book for you to read would be "It's Not About The Bike" by our own Lance Armstrong, who came back from near-death from testicular cancer to win the Tour De France (5 times by now, and is gunning for his 6th win). Although it's clear from Armstrong's prose that he's no intellectual, IMHO anyone who's done what he's done deserves an audience - especially when you are facing a similar challenge.

I like the book for the A-B-C's of how he got back into training after his chemo was finished. As well as the psychological process he went through. I think there are fewer distinctions between professional athletes and other exercisers, as well as between men and women, than we think, and what he's got to say could apply to anyone - including you.

Again, BIG HUGS! SELF-EDUCATE! GET SECOND AND THIRD OPINIONS!

And keep coming back here.

Love,

A-Jock

Joyce,

Your in my prayers. My sister had cancer in her throat a few years back and had to have surgery (almost lost her, they had to do an emergency trach) (not to scare you), and she went through the chemo. It was cute because her daughter asked her, "mom will you be glowing in the dark". That put a smile on all our faces. Anyway now to some good news, she was in remission and now years later is cancer free.

Thank goodness. I wish you the best and unfortunately cannot give you any advice on food or exercise.

Rhonda

Joyce-
I WISH YOU THE BEST! My experience is with children and cancer. Many people in the support group went to an all-natural diet (no chemicals sitting in the intestine and a high fiber intake as well). Perhaps you can find out if there is a Whole Foods Market in your area. They maintain a lot of books for natural nutrition. Exercise was a MUST for mental health and stamina, for most of us. Don't be mad at yourself for doing a MUCH easier routine, of course. Its 100% normal to be VERY tired on the days right after your chemo.
HUGS TO YOU!!! You can do it!
Amy

Joyce:
My prayers are with you and your family! You have a wonderful attitude and obviously a great support system! :)

Good luck and let us know how you are doing!

(((hugs)))

take care
Gloria:)

Hi Joyce! I just wanted to let you know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. I'm thankful to hear that you have a strong support system as well as a very strong positive attitude. Please continue to visit us. We enjoy your company! Thinking of you, Cathe

((((((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))))))

Hi Joyce: You are in my thoughts and prayers. My family has had more cancer experiences than I care to mention and I have witnessed that attitude makes a huge difference in recovery from chemo and radiation, your attitude and determination shine through and will serve you well.
Six weeks before my husband had 'mega dose chemo with bone marrow transplant' I consulted with our oncologist to find out what could I do nutrition wise in that time to help him build a strong foundation and whatever edge we could get to stengthen him and his immune system. "Don't eat at McDonald's 3 times a week" was all he could say. I was disappointed and somewhat pi$$ed that this seemingly learned man could not give me any better advise. I have seen over and over that it is up to us to be resourceful, you have figured this out a lot sooner than I did and I applaude you. We lived the vegetarian life for almost a year but when John became weaker during treatments it was obvious that this was not the right choice for him and so we tried another way, I guess it would be your classic 'clean eating' no white anything (sugar, rice, flour), incorporating more soy products into our meals and eating lots of fruits and veggies as fresh as possible lastley we never underestimate the power of being well hydrated and so we started to drink at least 8 glasses of reverse osmosis water every day. After treatments he wasn't hungry for a while and used supplemental drinks like 'Boost' and 'Ensure' after a few days I fed him whatever he was hungry for and I came to realize that the first meal he wanted inevitably included eggs 'they always go down good' he would say and I knew that he had taken a turn for the better. We tried herbal supplements and stuck with it for a time but decided that if we were eating well we really shouldn't need to supplement except for iron and B12. There was no one book that helped me but I gleaned bits here and bits there and feel very confident in the food choices that I make for our family. Being proactive was invaluable in our sorting through life post diagnosis.
Quite honestly it was a long road of trial and error before we found out what worked best for us so be patient with yourself. HTH, take good care of yourself and know that we are thinking about you and sending you tons of healing thoughts and prayers. Please let us know how you are doing:)

Take Care
Laurie

Hi Joyce. I don't have any direct experience with cancer, but I just want you to know that you are in my thoughts and prayers!

Linda

Well I'm 37 and also a mother of three . I pray all goes well for your recovery . Positive thoughts, love from family and friends are so important. I'm proud that you are taking control over this and you will beat it! Bless you.
Try finding some chat groups on what your looking for I'm sure you'll find tons out there.

Our family just went through chemo and breast cancer with my mother. She did very well. Her first treatment was a challenge but the rest were not so bad. She lost most of her hair, not all of it. She got some cute wigs and I was envious that she could fix her hair so quickly (tee hee). I think her biggest symptom of the chemo was being so tired. But she maintained really good color and was able to lay on the floor and do a few weights to keep up her strength. She is all finished now and is doing radiation for the next six weeks. She is doing pretty good with that too. I think the most important thing is to be strong prior to your illness. My mother always power walked and did her weights prior to getting sick and I think that layed a good foundation for her to get through the chemo because she was strong to begin with. So I think your prior exercise regimen will benefit you too. You sound strong and your attitude is very good. Remember, you WILL get through this. Be easy on yourself and dont try to force yourself to exercise. Now is not the time to set exercise goals.

Everyone here cares about you and we care very much about your feelings. Please come back and tell us how you are doing. You are very important to us.

Madonna

Dear Joyce,

No real advice; just want to wish you all the best and say that your outlook is inspiring! I've been fortunate to never have to deal with illness of my own, but I have to agree that exercise is always extremely beneficial to your psyche when dealing with anything difficult. It helped me tremendously when coping with family members' serious illnesses.

Be well and God bless,

-Marie

Joyce, good for you on wanting to continue your fitness program. My thoughts and prayers will be with you as you go thru your chemo. I have a friend that was just diagnosed cancer-free of rectal cancer after undergoing radiation & chemo. She is the picture of health! She continued to teach when she could and got out as much as possible with friends. (she is a single Mom) I am thrilled you have a good support system. Thinking of you and sending a BIG hug your way.

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

My prayers and best wishes to you. My neighbor had colon cancer that went undiagnosed for years. He had most of his colon removed and a permanent colostomy. He also underwent chemo. It is now NINE years later and the guy is the picture of health, fitness, and happiness. You have our support and hugs, Alexis

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.