It's *way* too quiet at my house.....

Jess_jugs

Cathlete
I'm just not used to being ALONE!! My 5yo just left w/ my IL's on vacation for TWELVE days!! I've never been away from her for more than 3 days, and that was at their house last month!! And... they're going to Canada to visit my SIL and family!! At least a 16 hr drive away.... I will survive!!

My 7yo is spending a couple days at my Mom's and my 9yo is at daycamp so it is just *too* quiet!!

I already did a 10K run this morning, now I might head to the Y for a swim since I won't have to worry about childcare!! (trying to put a positive spin on it! LOL)

Anyone else feel that way about their kids being gone/ growing up??? I'm just not ready for it!!!!

Hugs,
Jess

Hugs to you, too, Jess -- it's hard when our "babies" are away! I do what you're doing with that kind of "bonus" time -- fill my days with activities that are a little harder when we're focused on the kids. When my older daughter is traveling (she spent two weeks in Guatemala in June!), my younger daughter and I cook things that older daughter won't eat (tofu! things with blueberries!). And though it's hard to miss one of them, it's nice to have a little one-on-one time with the one left at home.

And I hear you about the "growing up" part. It all goes very fast. My 17-year-old will be a senior this year, and I feel like I'm boarding a fast-moving train...like this "last" year is going to fly by! I'm torn between wanting her to have the world, and wanting to hold on.

Anyway, try to enjoy your days, and if you get too lonely, just keep posting!! (By the way, I always say that the only thing better than 2 girls must be 3 girls; I bet yours are cuties!)

Allison

Hugs to you, too, Jess -- it's hard when our "babies" are away! I do what you're doing with that kind of "bonus" time -- fill my days with activities that are a little harder when we're focused on the kids. When my older daughter is traveling (she spent two weeks in Guatemala in June!), my younger daughter and I cook things that older daughter won't eat (tofu! things with blueberries!). And though it's hard to miss one of them, it's nice to have a little one-on-one time with the one left at home.

And I hear you about the "growing up" part. It all goes very fast. My 17-year-old will be a senior this year, and I feel like I'm boarding a fast-moving train...like this "last" year is going to fly by! I'm torn between wanting her to have the world, and wanting to hold on.

Anyway, try to enjoy your days, and if you get too lonely, just keep posting!! (By the way, I always say that the only thing better than 2 girls must be 3 girls; I bet yours are cuties!)

Allison

Thanks, Allison! My 5yo Allison is starting Kindergarten next month, so I guess this is my preparation for it!!! My 9yo has gone to church camp for 5 days and they've spent some time w/ grandparents, but that's about it!! I'm looking forward to some one-on-one time w/ my 9yo for 2 days and then she goes to her next session of church camp (3 days next week) I'll have time w/ just my 7yo.

Have fun in Chicago, I'm a couple hours south in IL but we hardly ever go that way (we usually go to St. Louis instead!). And yes, I think they're pretty cute but I'm biased. ;o)

Jess

I also remind myself how brave we are to let them get out and see the world on their own (well, without us), and how much they'll learn and grow! Sounds like your summer is much like ours, something different every week.

I'm in central Indiana -- we had a great family vacation in St. Louis a few years ago! Loved the Magic House.

Enjoy your days!
Allison

I also remind myself how brave we are to let them get out and see the world on their own (well, without us), and how much they'll learn and grow! Sounds like your summer is much like ours, something different every week.

I'm in central Indiana -- we had a great family vacation in St. Louis a few years ago! Loved the Magic House.

Enjoy your days!
Allison

Oh, we loved the Magic House! And the City Museum. And we try to go the Zoo every year.

Oh, I would recommend the Cheesecake Factory while you're in Chicago, that was a big splurge for us the last time we were there! Yummy! (but NOT clean eating! LOL)

Jess

Oh Jess, just you wait. When my oldest went away to college I boo hoo'd for like a month while I listened to the Billy Ray Cyrus song "Ready Set, Don't Go". I've never cried when they started kindergarten ,etc. So I'm not a crybaby. It was just such a drastic change. He's been home this summer and leaves in 2 weeks again, I hope it isn't as hard this time around. Hang in there!

I understand completely. My son just turned 8 on Monday and it made me sad that he is growing up so fast. He went on vacation last year for a week with my parents. I was so worried about him but he had a blast.
Oh and hey I am from the mid west too. I am in Evansville, southern IN. So I am not too far from you ladies. We are actually going to Chicago to family night at Soldier's Field for the Bears. DH and DS are sooooo excited. Me I just want to get away for a bit.:D

I hear ya.

Jess - I hear ya, I don't get DS until tomorrow and he's been gone since Sunday, it's driving me nuts!

Hang in there!
Marcia.

I can totally relate, Jess. I have 3 dd's, too! Mine are 8 1/2, 5 1/2 and 22 months. I always wish for time alone-especially when they've been around each other for a long while and start to go at it. But once they leave-to my MIL's or my parents, my husband and I are always checking to see if they called to check in, etc. Enjoy your mini-break and lavish some extra attention on the ones at home. They'll love it!

Oh, and I'm from the midwest, too. We live in Chesterfield, MI which is a suburb of Detroit.

Jess - I hear ya, I don't get DS until tomorrow and he's been gone since Sunday, it's driving me nuts!

Hang in there!
Marcia.

Hey, girl! Glad you're back!

I ended up meeting my dh to see the matinee of Batman, and then we took our 9yo to dinner at Chevy's. I just talked to my 5yo and they made it to Michigan safely.... I can survive the rest of her trip away.... I will keep telling myself that!

Jess

I can totally relate, Jess. I have 3 dd's, too! Mine are 8 1/2, 5 1/2 and 22 months. I always wish for time alone-especially when they've been around each other for a long while and start to go at it. But once they leave-to my MIL's or my parents, my husband and I are always checking to see if they called to check in, etc. Enjoy your mini-break and lavish some extra attention on the ones at home. They'll love it!

Oh, and I'm from the midwest, too. We live in Chesterfield, MI which is a suburb of Detroit.

Oh, wow!! I can totally relate! My IL's just made it to Jenison, MI tonight to stay w/ a relative on their way to Canada. I am trying to enjoy the mini-break and we're spoiling our 9yo tonight!

BTW, nice back pic!!!

Jess

Oh Jess, just you wait. When my oldest went away to college I boo hoo'd for like a month while I listened to the Billy Ray Cyrus song "Ready Set, Don't Go". I've never cried when they started kindergarten ,etc. So I'm not a crybaby. It was just such a drastic change. He's been home this summer and leaves in 2 weeks again, I hope it isn't as hard this time around. Hang in there!

I'm not usually a cryer, but I did cry reading her a book last night when she told me she missed me already. :eek:( It's hard because she's my littlest and has always been attached to my hip!! I can't even think of college yet... but I'm sure it will be here before I know it!

I understand completely. My son just turned 8 on Monday and it made me sad that he is growing up so fast. He went on vacation last year for a week with my parents. I was so worried about him but he had a blast.
Oh and hey I am from the mid west too. I am in Evansville, southern IN. So I am not too far from you ladies. We are actually going to Chicago to family night at Soldier's Field for the Bears. DH and DS are sooooo excited. Me I just want to get away for a bit.:D

Have fun seeing the Bears!! That would be awesome! Happy bday to your ds! They do grow up fast, my oldest will hit double digits this year, she keeps reminding me!

Maybe we'll have to do a midwest Cathe get together w/ so many IL/IN/MI'ers around here!

Jess

Thanks for the compliment! I owe it to all those pull ups in P90X! Where in Canada is your family headed?

A midwest gtg sounds fab! Say in Chicago...:)

Thanks for the compliment! I owe it to all those pull ups in P90X! Where in Canada is your family headed?

A midwest gtg sounds fab! Say in Chicago...:)

Me too!! Pullups are awesome! Ottawa to my SIL's house, then to their IL's cottage for a few days.

Good idea, that would be so fun as I'm getting jealous of all of the Road Trippers!!

Geez, I'm giddy on the rare occasions when the kids (and husband) are gone for the day/weekend. :eek:

That makes 2 of us!:p

Actually, my son goes for overnights with family relatively often and I DO end up missing him. What is rare is when both son AND husband skeedaddle for any length of time (like more then an hour!). THAT is a big treat for me!:)

Oh, that is so me too! I enjoy about 1 day away from my girls before I just miss them and find myself looking in their room. The longest I have been away is 2 days (on my 10 year anniversary) and it was hard.

Jess, just try to keep busy and enjoy all the extra workout time you'll have and time alone with your DH! ;)

Mary

Oh, that is so me too! I enjoy about 1 day away from my girls before I just miss them and find myself looking in their room. The longest I have been away is 2 days (on my 10 year anniversary) and it was hard.

Jess, just try to keep busy and enjoy all the extra workout time you'll have and time alone with your DH! ;)

Mary

Oh, thank you! Yes, 1 day is enough for me. I'm keeping busy w/ my 9yo today, we're going rollerblading later! LOL @ the extra workout time, that's the one thing I thought of! :eek:)

Jess

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.