It's time for beginners and intermediate workouts.

I'm 59 years old and totally understand the high impact stuff - I have modified a lot by using a trampoline or just doing something else during the higher impact stuff and can still get a great workout. But I look forward to all of Cathe's video because they are advanced and can be modified to make it easier by using no weights, less weights or doing as many reps if you can, even if it means doing just one rep. I'm not up-to-date with all of that streaming stuff, I still prefer DVDs but I know eventually these will be gone and it will be a sad day for me. :)

Janie,
You may have already tried all these ideas but :

On days when you are really bad off ( for whatever reason) just do a warm-up followed by the stretch. ( ex: Muscle Max, or Low Impact Circuit DVD) ( Or you can add in the core workout too. Then you have done a 20 min. mini-workout which is good for a whole lot of reasons.)

Good easier premixes are:
ICE-MTB-Pre-Timesaver #4 32 min

Cardio:
ICE-LIS-Pre-Timesaver #4 28 min
ICE-LIS-Pre-Timesaver #10 28 min
CrossFire-Pre-Timesaver-Low Impact Tabata 18min !!
TTM-Pre-Timesaver "No 30/20 HiiT " 40 min ( I modify the TABATA to make it low impact )
TTM-Pre-Less Impact
KPC- Pre-Cardio Conditioning 37 min
SAS-Cardio Slam-Pre-Timesaver#6 17 min !! ( I modify 2 exercises here )

Lower Body:
ICE-CLBB-Pre-Timesaver #4 40 min
RWH-LIHI-Pre #1 All Strength 30 min
X-Train-Cardio Leg Blast- Pre-All Strength 36 min
X-Train-Legs-Pre-Legs-Standing 29 min
GSL-Pre-Timesaver #1 32 min
SAS-TBGS-Pre-Timesaver #1 ( LB ) 31 min
SAS-PHA-Mishmosh Pre-LB Split #1 27 min

There are so many more, these are just some. I think it is easy to modify UB workout just by the amount of weight used.
A P.T. told me a few years ago that now is the time for me to do less 'compressive' workouts and vary things up with more yoga, stretching, swimming, biking. Most of these premixes are about 30 min, so I can use Cathe's premixes and add on core work and stretching or some yoga afterwards. That way I can still get my heart pumping and do a Cathe workout without the injury risk. ( Because I am spending less time doing "compressive" workouts.) My "endurance" workout is swimming once a week.

I don't know how much you have looked at using her Premixes, but they are so great for the very situations you mention. It is like having a whole new set of DVDs .
:)

If Cathe made a less intense workout, I would still buy it - and use it! There are many days where I don't want to go all-out but still prefer my favorite instructor. ;) A beginner/less intense dvd or series is definitely something I would buy!

When I was subscribed to OnDemand, I used the Workout Blender to string together several of my favorite warm-ups followed by a few stretch segments. It turned out to be a nice, 'less intense' 30-min workout!

I'm 59 years old and totally understand the high impact stuff - I have modified a lot by using a trampoline or just doing something else during the higher impact stuff and can still get a great workout. But I look forward to all of Cathe's video because they are advanced and can be modified to make it easier by using no weights, less weights or doing as many reps if you can, even if it means doing just one rep. I'm not up-to-date with all of that streaming stuff, I still prefer DVDs but I know eventually these will be gone and it will be a sad day for me. :)

Well, this is timely for me....I am struggling with a bad hip that just seems to get worse the more I work out, even low impact...waiting on MRI results this week. After learning some of Cathe's modifications from the S&S and ICE workouts, I am able to even modify the modifications (!) just flailing my arms in whatever pattern to get the heart rate up, it never gets where it used to be but at least its something and makes me happy that I can have a morning workout. I agree that when all else fails, just a warm up, stretch and core from a Cathe video can qualify on some days for a workout.

I know I'm the dissenter here, but I feel like Cathe is known for her gold standard advanced workouts, and personally, I really hope she keeps making advanced workouts ad infinitum:)

:):);) Hello here is another dissenter.

We need challenge to get changes, I wonder whose quote this is.:p:p;)
Beginner/intermediate is somehow in my humble opinion a way of looking backward --- Not really a proactive attitude.
So not.... positive as far as I am concerned.

ETA, 'special need' is aka special population fitness class. this include elderly people, vulnerable people, pregnant etc....My statement was made in general. It wasn't intended to one person in particular. At the end of the day, I am not the only person to agree to disagree it is time for another intermediate/Beginner series. So please Harass away.

Last edited:
Cathe is "gold standard " in everything she does, be it beginner, immediate, or advanced in my humble opinion,
And I don't think being at the point of beginner and /or immediate means you are going backward..IMO, it
Means that for whatever reason, you are not able to do the higher impact,advanced moves all the time, but still
Want to be healthy and fit...and be in the game so to speak with everyone else, but at your level....

Those wonderful people in the Senior Fit classes on Live, I don't believe they think they are going backwards, I
Believe they are going forward with gusto!!!!:)

There is truly no need to distort a statement just because one did not get any validation
to her constant quest for modifications:cool:!!
We are all entitled to an opinion. FYI, Senior class is what is referred to as "special need " fitness class which is
not a beginner level.Neither is it an intermediate!

Last edited:
This is music to my ears.....the common ground here is Cathe's next series and just how avant-garde they are!
I know Cathe does her research based on many factors and on feedback from her clients,
but this is truly a wonderful issue to have.

I so agree with you!

Janie,
You may have already tried all these ideas but :

On days when you are really bad off ( for whatever reason) just do a warm-up followed by the stretch. ( ex: Muscle Max, or Low Impact Circuit DVD) ( Or you can add in the core workout too. Then you have done a 20 min. mini-workout which is good for a whole lot of reasons.)

Good easier premixes are:
ICE-MTB-Pre-Timesaver #4 32 min

Cardio:
ICE-LIS-Pre-Timesaver #4 28 min
ICE-LIS-Pre-Timesaver #10 28 min
CrossFire-Pre-Timesaver-Low Impact Tabata 18min !!
TTM-Pre-Timesaver "No 30/20 HiiT " 40 min ( I modify the TABATA to make it low impact )
TTM-Pre-Less Impact
KPC- Pre-Cardio Conditioning 37 min
SAS-Cardio Slam-Pre-Timesaver#6 17 min !! ( I modify 2 exercises here )

Lower Body:
ICE-CLBB-Pre-Timesaver #4 40 min
RWH-LIHI-Pre #1 All Strength 30 min
X-Train-Cardio Leg Blast- Pre-All Strength 36 min
X-Train-Legs-Pre-Legs-Standing 29 min
GSL-Pre-Timesaver #1 32 min
SAS-TBGS-Pre-Timesaver #1 ( LB ) 31 min
SAS-PHA-Mishmosh Pre-LB Split #1 27 min

There are so many more, these are just some. I think it is easy to modify UB workout just by the amount of weight used.
A P.T. told me a few years ago that now is the time for me to do less 'compressive' workouts and vary things up with more yoga, stretching, swimming, biking. Most of these premixes are about 30 min, so I can use Cathe's premixes and add on core work and stretching or some yoga afterwards. That way I can still get my heart pumping and do a Cathe workout without the injury risk. ( Because I am spending less time doing "compressive" workouts.) My "endurance" workout is swimming once a week.

I don't know how much you have looked at using her Premixes, but they are so great for the very situations you mention. It is like having a whole new set of DVDs .
:)

You gave me tons of a variety of workouts. Thank you so much! I now have the ICE workouts in reach and ready to use. YaHoo!

If Cathe made a less intense workout, I would still buy it - and use it! There are many days where I don't want to go all-out but still prefer my favorite instructor. ;) A beginner/less intense dvd or series is definitely something I would buy!

When I was subscribed to OnDemand, I used the Workout Blender to string together several of my favorite warm-ups followed by a few stretch segments. It turned out to be a nice, 'less intense' 30-min workout!

Thank you for your ideas. I hope she does what seems like a popular series to have.

This is music to my ears.....the common ground here is Cathe's next series and just how avant-garde they are!
I know Cathe does her research based on many factors and on feedback from her clients,

Thank you for your input.

Aqua Girl, I don't and can't get Cathe live. We are in a place that is limited in technology. Darn!

I know what I mean about streaming! I moved to area where there is NO internet! We asked for it but they came out and looked and said there is no foundation for it and not enough demand for it here to justify spending the money it takes to bring it here! Ugh

I love love ICE! I think it is not as hard as the others but adding onto the blast makes it way hard.
I know u have it and I know how to adjust the workouts. So I am saying I agree with you!
My sister wants to do cathe but won't even try her ICE or any others except the beginner DVD I gave her.

I want more Like Ice 2, and I think Cathe could do an ICE 2 and do a shorter workout for the beginner and tell them to use this weight and do this move and explain the way to do it as a beginner then she can do the advanced by adding more weights and add to step height and making premix longer for advanced just like ICE. This way there is way more variety and would gear towards all fitness levels and reach more people and would even get new people to try her older workouts.
I am still intermediate level lol and I can't get to the advance stage yet but I think adding in a mixture of intensity would allow me to keep doing Cathe longer in my life!
So yes bring on more intermediate and beginner!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Special need' is aka special population fitness class. this include elderly people, vulnerable people, pregnant etc....My statement was made in general. It wasn't intended to one person in particular. At the end of the day, I am not the only person to agree to disagree it is time for another intermediate/Beginner series. So please Harass away.:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.