Is there one job they couldn't pay you enough

hey gin, . . i hope that during teacher appreciation day that all the parents in your class lavish on you as you should be. i know i do. every time it's teacher appreciation day i give a gift box full of $15 gift certificates from target, . . chevron, starbucks, and trader joes. then i make cookies and buy flowers. it is a HARD job and i applaud you for doing and applaud you even more for enjoying it.

Thank you Lisellesmith for the sweet words. I'll bet the teachers love you! My parents gave me a nice clothing store gift card and also lots of homemade goodies, flowers, stationery, etc. on the last day yesterday. So, yes they are very good to be and I do appreciate it. Truly my favorite gifts from the parents are the kind notes written from the heart! I treasure those. Throughout the year I become attached to the children and find the special qualities and goodness in each one. Then it is hard to goodbye. I guess that sounds corny!:p

It wouldn't bother me to be a proctologist or a dentist or a nanny or a nursery school teacher or a housekeeper. But there are at least two jobs I would never survive:

Salesperson. Especially a traveling salesperson.
Politician. Just shoot me now. x(

Corny no, . . sounds to me like your a teacher i would be honored to have my children be with. you don't come into contact with teachers like you everyday. i always see burn out with the teachers that have been doing it for a while, .. and i can completely understand why. that said how in the world do you find the energy to work out at all????

>i'm not quite sure how i feel about this thread. sure there
>are jobs out there that we find, . . well, . .not something we
>would do but by saying that it is a job that "they couldn't
>pay you enough" to do it sorta makes the people who do that
>job, . . well feel like they should be ashamed of what they
>do. i have friends who are maids, and pre school teachers,
>and i happen to study entomology for fun and know some
>entomologist, . . all of these people are very wonderful
>people who are good at what they do and take pride in what
>they do. we can't all be lawyers and firefighters and quite
>frankly without those maids who clean up after us in hotels
>and those a$$ doctors who diagnoise prostate cancer which my
>father in law had where would we be. i'm grateful for those
>people who scrape up road kill so that i don't have to look at
>it, . .and you know what, . these are jobs that people do to
>support their families. jobs that everyone on this forum i'm
>sure has come in close contact with and benefited from them.
>so the next time you decide to slam the phone on that annoying
>telemarketer, . . .turn a shoulder to that person cleaning
>your hotel room remember that they are people too just trying
>to make a living and to survive. by the way i work for a
>dental office and as much as people may hate the dentist when
>they are in pain they sure as heck like us when they leave
>pain free.

Oh geesh...she was just having fun. I am PE teacher (which comes with a slew of jokes that are actually funny!!) and I coach and I was not offended at all by the teaching comment...I know tons of people who would die if they had to do it everyday. I think this is a fun thread. We all need to lighten up a bit...

God bless those who can but I could never work with mentally handicapped people or in geriatrics (I have tried both at different times in my life and have an enormous amount of respect and admiration for those who do work with in these fields).

I am a registered massage therapist and can't count the number of people who have said that they could NEVER do what I do.....no offense to me....I love what I do.:)

My SIL is an entemologist who had a fabulous collection of bugs from around the globe...ironically....it was eaten by bugs...go figure :7

Take Care
Laurie:)

>anything do do with tar. Roofing, roads, whatever. That stuff
>stinks!
Not that there is anything wrong w/ people who work w/ tar ;)

A butcher

The person who has to kill the animals at the shleter when their "time" is up

Doing research on animals (not research about animals, but drug tests, cosmetics safety test, etc. using animals as subjects)

You could not pay me enough to ever hurt an animal

On the other hand...I would GLADLY harm those who abuse animals IF it was legal (and they actually paid you for it!!!)

Lorie

>>>>still i guess my point was to say that although it may not be for you let's just respect those jobs and those people for the hard work that they do.

I wondered how long before someone took this post the wrong way - not long at all.

Who said anything about not respecting people who do very difficult jobs? I hold school teachers with the highest regard, but you couldn't pay me enough to become one! Also, most police officers and fire fighters, but I would NEVER even consider those jobs!

Fun thread...this is a topic everyone thinks about now and then I'm sure. One day I wondered about the guy who was in my backyard cleaning out our septic system and I wondered "what makes a person decide to start a septic tank cleaning business????" (The worst part...the business' name is "Brownies".) :eek: I'm glad he's doin' it though!

Money, money, money....why do you think plumbers charge so much?

I think you develop a thick skin and can detach yourself from things that would make a billy-goat puke. Like you see in movies where people perform autopsies while eating their lunch.

Laura said she's totally creeped out by spiders. I, on the other hand, let them stay in my house. I name the big ones and say HI when I go do laundry. (they hang out near the washing machine in the basement). If they're particularly large and upstairs, I take them outside. They're only allowed to take up residence in the basement. How they live down there, I've not figured out. They're the only living things I've ever seen down there. Maybe they eat the mice. If I'm ever missing a cat, I'll know why.

Donna,

I never kill spiders either!!!! I even hate when I accidently walk through a web, 'cause I know how long it must have taken her to make it. Maybe it was reading "Charlotte's Web" a few times, but I'm all about spiders. Most insects really, except mosquitos...god, I hate those things.

Oh, and I love worms, especially Inchworms and caterpillars.

And Junebugs...I always put them back on their legs when I see them lying helplessly on their backs.

Oh no, I love spiders! Spiders are the only bug I can stomach & you know why? Because they kill all the other bugs in your house! The spider is my friend. :p

I won't even go into my basement b/c of the centipedes. Something about how they move--that wavy thing w/all those legs--just completely, totally freaks me out. When the seasons change sometimes one or two will make its way into the actual first floor. The sight of me standing as far away as I can, arm extended as far as it can go, bug spray in hand, screaming the entire time might be seen as, ummm, funny.

And no, I meant no disrespect to anyone at all. I've had people tell me they wouldn't do my job for all the money in the world (only masochists work in local politics) & it didn't offend me one bit. This was for fun but sadly I too wondered whether someone would take offense to a completely harmless, innocent post. Didn't take long at all. :-(

Since we all said the job that couldn't pay enough what do we all do for work?

I'm a legal assistant (and it's not my cup of tea :))

well in my defense to those of you who said that "you were wondering when someone would take offense" , . . the thought came to your mind that it MAY cause offense, . . so if you THOUGHT that, . . then my response should really be no surprise at all.

I would NEVER EVER want to be a nurse...oh wait...I AM a nurse. That must be why I quit my job and I've never looked back. I wish I would've gotten a degree in something, ANYTHING else.

Oh, one more thing. It never occurred to me that anyone would be offended by this thread. You really have to be trying hard to find offense in this thread.

Hi Everyone!

This forum topic is interesting! :)

I teach elementary school reading. I love the job! I work in an inner-city, so I feel as though these kids really need some extra love and care.

I feel great coming in to work and I feel great leaving at night. I feel "needed and loved" on the job. The kids are great. Tough but great. They all have big hearts (well most of them do!!).

As for the money-----not so great, but I do this job because I love kids. Period!

:)

"Life is too short - Be the best you can be every single day!"

>well in my defense to those of you who said that "you were
>wondering when someone would take offense" , . . the thought
>came to your mind that it MAY cause offense, . . so if you
>THOUGHT that, . . then my response should really be no
>surprise at all.

LOL! That is great logic! The reason people thought that was b/c there have been several incidents recently of people taking offense to posts that were harmless & innocent. It in no way justifies your taking offense to something that was harmless & innocent.

Nice try though! :7 :D }(

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.