Is there one job they couldn't pay you enough

LauraMax

Cathlete
to do? I have a couple--started thinking about it when I was watching the Morning Show today, on which they featured.....

1) an entemologist. I have a bug phobia. I hate things like snakes & rodents, but they don't scare the crap outta me like bugs do. Those roaches & millipedes they had on the show had me close to vomiting.

2) proctologist. WHY WHY WHY would anyone ever want to be a proctologist? Not enough money in the world..........:eek:

How 'bout you guys?

1) pre-school teacher
2) nanny
3) anything to do with dental work
4) anything outdoors
5) long-distance trucker
6) airline stewardess, hostess, whatever they call them

I'm sure there's more, but that's what I came up with.

1. Maid-Cannot stand people who cannot pick up after themselves...YUCK! I have actually wanted to hire a maid service in my home but would end up cleaning up before they arrived out of guilt. Kind of a waste of money; don't you think? :)

2. Pooper scooper-I have enough trouble cleaning up after two dogs and a cat. :)

3. Foot Doctor-Can't imagine what kind of nasty you might see! :)

<1) an entemologist. I have a bug phobia. I hate things like snakes & rodents, but they don't scare the crap outta me like bugs do. Those roaches & millipedes they had on the show had me close to vomiting.>

One of my dear friend is an entolomogist. She was a very soft spoken beautiful girl who had no qualms about digging through animal remains and feces for her samples. I also recall her chasing bees with her net to the delight of onlookers who thought she truly lost her mind. I used to also laugh that she had drawing of bug genetalia next to her mirror---she utilized her tooth brushing time to memorize the body parts for tests. I went to one her departmental parties in graduate school and I have to say that entomologists have kick a$$ parties! Oh, and she also had a pet millipede named Millicent and a pet scorpion. I hated sleeping over at her house!

<2) proctologist. WHY WHY WHY would anyone ever want to be a proctologist? Not enough money in the world..........>
Perhaps horrible but I'd like to think that people who choose to work in this area of medicine are compassionate, are understanding of the embarrassing issues and problems people experience, and make the experience for the patient less embarrassing and uncomfortable. Or, they just like butts.... :eek:

1) Roadkill collector
2) proctologist - yeah, I'll go with that one
3) maid, janitor or anything cleaning other people's toilets
4) telemarketer
5) President of the United States

Not sure what they call it but the people who put the makeup on deceased people, I think they have to drain the blood too. I can't imagine doing that all day long I would definitely freak out!! I can probably think of a million more things you could not pay me enough for lol

i'm not quite sure how i feel about this thread. sure there are jobs out there that we find, . . well, . .not something we would do but by saying that it is a job that "they couldn't pay you enough" to do it sorta makes the people who do that job, . . well feel like they should be ashamed of what they do. i have friends who are maids, and pre school teachers, and i happen to study entomology for fun and know some entomologist, . . all of these people are very wonderful people who are good at what they do and take pride in what they do. we can't all be lawyers and firefighters and quite frankly without those maids who clean up after us in hotels and those a$$ doctors who diagnoise prostate cancer which my father in law had where would we be. i'm grateful for those people who scrape up road kill so that i don't have to look at it, . .and you know what, . these are jobs that people do to support their families. jobs that everyone on this forum i'm sure has come in close contact with and benefited from them. so the next time you decide to slam the phone on that annoying telemarketer, . . .turn a shoulder to that person cleaning your hotel room remember that they are people too just trying to make a living and to survive. by the way i work for a dental office and as much as people may hate the dentist when they are in pain they sure as heck like us when they leave pain free.

>i'm not quite sure how i feel about this thread. sure there
>are jobs out there that we find, . . well, . .not something we
>would do but by saying that it is a job that "they couldn't
>pay you enough" to do it sorta makes the people who do that
>job, . . well feel like they should be ashamed of what they
>do. i have friends who are maids, and pre school teachers,
>and i happen to study entomology for fun and know some
>entomologist, . . all of these people are very wonderful
>people who are good at what they do and take pride in what
>they do. we can't all be lawyers and firefighters and quite
>frankly without those maids who clean up after us in hotels
>and those a$$ doctors who diagnoise prostate cancer which my
>father in law had where would we be. i'm grateful for those
>people who scrape up road kill so that i don't have to look at
>it, . .and you know what, . these are jobs that people do to
>support their families. jobs that everyone on this forum i'm
>sure has come in close contact with and benefited from them.
>so the next time you decide to slam the phone on that annoying
>telemarketer, . . .turn a shoulder to that person cleaning
>your hotel room remember that they are people too just trying
>to make a living and to survive. by the way i work for a
>dental office and as much as people may hate the dentist when
>they are in pain they sure as heck like us when they leave
>pain free.

I seriously don't think Laura was trying to insult anyone with this thread. I think it's just a random question for fun w/no offense meant to those who work in the mentioned fields. Every job is not for every person you know. No one is saying these jobs are stupid or worthless or not important. It's just a job that someone would never want to do themselves because for one reason or another they are not cut out for it. :)

I've always wondered what drives a person in medical school to pick fields like gynocology (unless they do it strictly for the obstetrics part which I can then understand), podiatry, etc.

I could never work with bugs either--eeeew! I can't even kill a spider in my house with out wigging out! LOL

I work part time in the daycare at my gym. Often times it takes every last bit of patience I have in order to make it through a 3 hour shift so I would never work in a regular f/t daycare or as a teacher of small children.

I could never be a maid/housekeeper either...simply because I don't *ENJOY* cleaning! Blech!

I would say bill collector and telemarketer but I've been both already!:eek: I can say, however, that I will never re-enter either field!:p

I hate all jobs. I just want to be waited on hand and foot. Phhhbt.

Debbie

"Today I'll teach you to recognize when you're boring. This is called a yawn. When you see one, stop talking about yourself."
- Dogbert, Social Obliviousness 101

Preschool or elementary teacher.
I have a 6 yr old and I can only handle 2 kids over at a time.
I love my child and I respect people who have the patience to teach them, however it would never be me.
LD

>I hate all jobs. I just want to be waited on hand and foot.
>Phhhbt.

Hey! Where do I sign up!?!?

To be waited on that is, not the one waiting!;)

My first thought when I read this thread was lawyer. I just find it soooooo dulllllll. I can't imagine having to memorize the intricacies of tax law or real estate law. Cesspool emptier dude or anything having to do with poo would be high up on my list too. Laura

My husband's job: utility excavator. He digs up broken sewers and fixes them. There are many nights that I make him strip down on the back porch - don't want those jeans in my house!!!

Yeah, I'm with Wendy on this one. Nobody is saying there's any reason to be embarrassed or ashamed of having one of the mentioned occupations. It's a personal preference thing.

Some people mentioned school teachers and even doctors. Both are very honorable jobs, but don't appeal to others' tastes. Someone else mentioned "anything outdoors" - which would actually be my DREAM job.

I mentioned Telemarketer, because I detest talking on the phone. And I've nothing against maids. I did it for a summer job. I HATED it! But I don't look down on the cleaning people in the hotels where I stay.

Lighten up!

I have been a pre-school teacher for the past 15 years and I must enjoy it if I keep going back!!:) I am certainly not offended by anyone saying that no one could pay them enough to teach pre-school. Actually, I've heard that before. It does take a little bit of patience and a whole lot of love!:) :) :)

Gin

i definitely don't think that she was trying to insult anyone either but i used to work for a hotel as a front desk agent while in college and i met many a friends who were maids all who hated it when people would say to them, . . "you couldn't pay me enough to do what you do." or "how could you do that job." i mean heck i get irritated at the telemarketer who calls during dinner too but i have to have sympathy for the fact that someone HAS to do it. i never buy anthing from them and i usually say no thank you and ask politely for them to remove me from the call list. i also have a really great friend who is a preschool teacher, . . not to mention my mom is one too. i sorta learned this the hard way because i would always say to them, . . having 2 little kids of my own a 6 and 4 year old(one who is autistic) "how do you do it?" and "i could never do your job." they would say to me, . ."heck someone has to do it, . .and i actually love my jobs." i guess i too didn't realize how it may come off untill these great people told me. heck i'm not cut out for a whole lot of jobs. i always tell the doctor i work for that i could'nt work in the back because of all the blood during oral surgery not to mention the smell of a tooth during a root canal, . .not nice. still i guess my point was to say that although it may not be for you let's just respect those jobs and those people for the hard work that they do. ;)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.