Is there a exercise you just don't do?

Mountain Climbers and Burpees are certainly not my favorite, but I will not skip them. I am on my 4th week of the LIS 1 month Rotation (from November I believe) and all those mountain climbers, burpees, plank drags, spidermans (in After Burn), have really helped me enhance my upper body strength to do more pushups and I feel my core is the most toned it has been.

I could have wrote this exact thing!

I am so glad I never skipped a plank sequence. I hate traditional ab work, but I wanted my core to be strong. I will continue to push through these, even though I REALLY, REALLY, DREAD THEM. The pay-off is worth it.

I super hate leg presses. Hate them with a purple passion. I used to skip them, but I feel bad now, so I do them. Still hate them. :confused:

I also sometimes have to take a break during major jump sequences. Me+giving birth to 3 kids= little bladder control. :eek: That's why I love the new LIS! :)

Squats with a barbell..hurts my lower back, I use dumbells
I hate overhead press for shoulders, but do them...cursing the whole time :)
ANy type of jacks...my bladder wont co-operate

JeanneMarie said:
I used to think the same thing until I broke my wrist. Now I am PROUD to be able to do wrist curls again, and do them with any substantial weight. I did Cathe's GymStyle Back/Shoulder/Biceps the other day and was just pleased as punch when I could do those wrist curls with the same wieght as Cathe. A huge milestone for me in my recovery!

That said, if an exercise move is in a workout, I do it whether I like it or not. I figure it's there for a reason. I can't expect to get the results I want if I'm skipping any of it. I wouldn't be cheating anybody but myself.

I agree totally. I don't skip anything. If there's something I can't do, I modify the move until I can do it. I just love it when I no longer have to modify an exercise and can do it just like Cathe and her crew. That gives me a huge feeling of accomplishment. I once avoided Bootcamp because there was so much in that workout that I just couldn't do, then I progressed to being able to do it with alot of modifications, now I can do the whole thing with no modifications at all. I don't think I would've been able to make that progress if I wasn't willing to do the moves. Whatever Cathe says do, I do or at least I try until I can do. Of course, if there's some medical or physical problem that prevents a person from being able to do certain exercises or if the exercise causes pain or discomfort, it's perfectly understandable to avoid it.

susanzabo said:
Mountain Climbers and Burpees are certainly not my favorite, but I will not skip them. I am on my 4th week of the LIS 1 month Rotation (from November I believe) and all those mountain climbers, burpees, plank drags, spidermans (in After Burn), have really helped me enhance my upper body strength to do more pushups and I feel my core is the most toned it has been.

I can usually keep up with most of Cathe's workouts (with some extra short breaks) and usually match her weights (but with many grimaces) but no matter what I cannot match her rep for rep on her pushups. Even LIS Trisets Upper Body, I just can't do all those spiderman pushups or the ones when she lifts her leg. That is where her supewoman abilities shine the brightest! I bought STS, haven't completed my 1 rep maxes yet, and I am afraid to start after all I have read about the pushups in Meso 1. SCARED!!!!:eek:

Me too. My core hasn't gotten so much stronger after doing LIS. There is so much more that I can now do in the other workouts. I didn't like doing all those plank-type exercises, but they are so effective.

Squat digs. I'm good with at least trying everything else but I hear squat digs and immediately think water or breather :)

LEVITATION HOLDS!! I can not get my butt off the ground no matter how many times I attempt this move.

I never do burpees due to back issues but I love calf work. I totally value stretching and warm ups too. I used to blow them both off until I took the certification course to become a personal trainer a few years back. I learned just how important stretching and warm ups really are to maintain flexibility and avoid injury. I always warm up and try to stretch after most workouts. I enjoy most of what Cathe offers for both.

s.

I agree that warmups/cooldown/stretching are under-rated and really important for a variety of reasons!
Also - I don't do burpees for the same reason (back)... I modify but slowly getting to the floor and doing the pushups/knee-ins/planks to stay down until that exercise seg is over... It's all good :p

Rather than not do an exercise, I usually will substitute something else.
For example, I don't do upright rows with a barbell (they put the shoulder in a position that encourages impingement), but do a modified version using dumbells and a wider/lower ROM, or overhead presses with hands in a neutral position).

I don't do tuck jumps (I'm afraid my floor would give out!), but instead will often do squat jumps.

I do skip over some chest exercises if I'm using a workout that I feel overdoes the chest vs. back muscles.

I don't skip an excercise, although I want to. I consider that part of the challenge. Usually if I dread something it is because it is more difficult for me so I think I need to do it (such as mountain climbers, burpees). If I need to I will modify the excercise until I can do it. The feeling of finally mastering the excercise is very satisfying.

Jo

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.