Is it worth investing in a stability ball?

renupai

Dear Cathe,
I see that your newer videoes make use of the stability ball for the strength training videos.
Since I am a great believer in the efficacy of your workouts I know you would not use a stability ball unless it really worked.
Do you think it is worth investing in a stability ball?
I live in India and I do not think I can get one here. Reebok may be selling it in India but I am not too sure.
My friends in the USA do not mind bringing me the dvds. But bringing a stability ball and pump may not appeal to them. Is it bulky in the deflated state? Will a person be able to bring it easily to India in a suitcase?
I am looking forward to more advanced level workouts from you along the lines of 'slow and heavy ' or 'pure strength' or rhythmic step or step blast or MIC.
I see that one of your workout parters Jai is a woman of Indian origin and that she has given you a sacred black thread to wear. Tell her that I send her special greetings from India.
Lots of luv and thanks again for helping me get fit and healthy.
Renu Pai

Hello,
I am not cathe, but yes, yes, yes get the stability ball. I got it in january and it is now my favorite piece of equipment. The ball I bought came in a box maybe 6 inch by 6 inch before it was aired up of course. You won't regret buying the stability ball at all. It is fun and makes abwork along with other exercises so much fun its unbelievable. You will love it.

Your friends definately could stuff this in a suitcase without taking a ton of room. If you are on a budget they could buy it at a TJ Max or Marshalls for $10.00. I got rid of mine and now that I just bought her video's I am kicking myself. I'll look for one at a yard sale this summer. Greetings from St. Louis, Missouri!

Hi Julie,

I also bought a stability ball at Marshall's and ended up getting rid of it. I have no place to store it. Once it's deflated, I can put it away. Is it a pain in the butt to inflate and deflate?

Thanks,
Gina

Yes, it is a huge pain to inflate and deflate it. If I couldn't store it somewhere, I wouldn't own one. But I'm so glad I have space because it is a useful piece of gear.

If your friends are able t help you, let them! The ball is inexpensive from any Marshalls or TJMax store as previosuly said, and your friend need not pack the whole box: just extract the ball in deflated state, which packs small,and the pump. Simple.

CLare

Hi Renu Pai! I think you will enjoy the benefits of a stability ball greatly, especially for abdominal work. In its deflated state, it flattens out to that of piece of dense clothing. Your friends could lay it right over their suitcase belongings and zip it up. If you have an air pump at your gas station, you can inflate it locally and not even bother with having your friends pack a pump. They are definitely reasonably priced at TJ MAXX and MARSHALLS too.
The drawback to stability balls is storage space. If you had to inflate and deflate the ball per every use, I'm not so sure I would advise getting one right now. Enjoy your current workouts as is and if you get to the point where you need a change in your routine, then I'd consider getting one.
By the way, the black wrist band that I wear is something I have done for years. I originally wore it to help keep me from mixing up my video right side with my real life right side (since I am cuing backwards when we film). But now it is more like a good luck charm for me. What does the black thread signify in India? I will tell Jai you said hello. Take Care :)

Dear Cathe,
Thanks for the prompt reply.
In India most temples sell black threads that are blessed by priests in the presence of the idol of our gods. Wearing one is supposed to ward off evil and keep us safe. Some people think it brings good luck! I think however that for most modern Indians wearing a sacred thread just keeps us connected to God. It is like how some christians like to wear a cross on a chain around their neck.
I am still tempted to get a ball. That way I can buy and workout to many more of your dvds. I have a cousin arriving from USA in June so I still have time to think about it.
Luv,
Renu

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.