Is it possible to go from home execiser to Fitness Instructor?

Carmen829

Cathlete
Hi Everyone! I've been working out at home for the last 6 or 7 years now. Six years ago I started working out with Cathe and feel I'm the fittest I've ever been. I've learned so much on form from Cathe DVD's and so much about exercise, health, and diet from these forums.

I recently attended a group class and felt pretty knowledgeable about the exercises performed, form, body parts being worked, goals we were trying to achieve, etc. I began to think that I could teach this stuff.

Is it possible to go from working out solely at home with only the mentoring I've mentioned above and become a group fitness instructor? I realize I will need to get certified first, but just wondered if I had enough knowledge to sit and take that testing without going to formal classes for health and fitness.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.

Thank you.

Carmen.

Last edited:
I think it's absolutely possible. I've belonged to gyms before and gotten absolutely no useful guidance from the staff. The only time I got decent progress was when I found Cathe - she's an excellent example to use as your role model. If you're going to go for certification, you will learn what you need to there. Go for it, I think it's an excellent plan.

Of course you can do it. Now you just have to figure out what sort of certification you want. They are so many. Some you can get pretty quickly, others involve a lot of studying. Of course the big ones are usually the ones that involve more studying, more knowledge of anatomy & biomechanics.

Also, you probably have a lot more knowledge than most just by working out at home and using Cathe DVDs. Her suing is great, her explanations are right on, and she actually educates as well throughout her workouts. You will find when you are studying that you understand the content just because of your experiences with working out with Cathe.

Good luck!!

Absolutely! Everyone has to start somewhere. A good instructor should lead a healthy lifestyle and enjoy what they do. Sounds like you are already on the right track.

It sure is~! I did it! I am about to celebrate my 1 year anniversary as a Fitness Instructor...learned 95% from DVD's. I love it and have a great time instructing. I am no spring chicken either....45 years old.

I say go for it!

Wow, DB1! Good for you. Can you tell us what certification program(s) you went through? I'm on the same page as the OP and want to start teaching.

AFAA is my cert.

No problem Lisa. I am certified through AFAA. I have the group fitness cert. I really enjoyed the process. If you go to their website...www.afaa.com you'll be able to find a ton of information there. I found their textbook "Fitness Theory and Practice" to be very well written and very helpful.

As far as instructing goes; I just started making up my own routines and making my poor husband participate in them to see if my cuing needed any work or not. I figured if he was tripping over his feet or turning in the wrong directions etc.: I need to work on it.

In the beginning I spent HOURS coming up with routines, rehearsing etc. Now, I have basic ideas of what I want to do; but alot of time I just wing it and go with the flow. With practice you'll get there too. You have to be flexible in live classes as there are all levels, ages, and possibly physical limitations to work with. I teach everything from kickbox, core/abs classes/ circuit training with bands and small weights/ some high-low/ and a little bit of step. I really do enjoy it! I a now working on my NSCA personal training certification.

Hope this is helpful! Good luck and just go for it!

Rhonda

I went from exercising at home to taking a bootcamp class for a short time to becoming a instructor! I love it!

Thank you all for the great information. I am researching AFAA and ACE. Is there a difference? Is one more accepted than the other?

Thanks again.

Carmen.

Carmen,
Most clubs will take Affa or Ace. They are both well recognized certs. I have the Affa personal training cert and the Ace group ex.
Good Luck!

Hi Carmen! Both AFAA and ACE are widely accepted and are great organizations to belong to.

I agree with the encouragement that you have been receiving on this thread..you certainly can get certified with your background as a home exerciser. You will quickly learn that the certification process is just the beginning. As an instructor you will see the good the bad and the ugly when it comes to form...I am gonna strongly encourage you to get into as many "live" classes as you can as soon as possible just to watch bodies move and react to instruction. Stand somewhere where you can glance at the other students so you get practice scanning the room and see if you see what the instructor does. Practice in your head how you would cue etc. (obviously don't use this session to go all out for your own workout but keep yourself safe at the same time!)

The energy of a class is very different and wonderful...you will have an awesome time inspiring your soon to be clients!

You guys are welcome. If there is anything else that I can help you with; just ask. Gillian is right; ACE and AFAA are both very good certs and are recognized nationally.

Gillian gave great advice too about observing classes.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.