is it okay to color my hair?

Michele S

Cathlete
I have an appointment on October 5th - the same day as my first midwife appointment - to get my hair color touched up. Is this okay to do? With my other two I wasn't having it done and really have no idea if it's safe or what!

TIA!
Michele

I have heard so many different things but I waited until out of the first tri just to be extra safe.

"you miss 100% of the shots you never take"

Debbie

I don't think anyone has the definitive answer to this, but I will tell you what my doctors told me (yes, I asked more than one I was so desperate). If it makes contact with your scalp, it is absorbed in your system (they know this because the chemicals can be detected in urine). In that case, it's best to wait until after the first trimester at the very least or skip it completely. If it's just your hair and not your scalp (like highlights), then it isn't absorbed in your system and is totally fine. I was very disappointed when they told me this because I have dark hair that really shows my premature grays. But I decided not to color it during pregnancy given that the jury is still out. However, LOTS of women continue to color their hair throughout pg, with no apparent ill effects when the kid is born. The long term effects of being exposed to those chemicals in utero is anyone's guess, but then again, that's probably true for lots of chemicals (like dry cleaning) that we are routinely exposed to. I would consider postponing your appt until after you talk to your midwife, just to be safe.

Hey Michele! My first appointment is the same day as yours. This will be our first, so I know I will be very apprehensive when I go. I found info at americanbaby.com about the safety of coloring your hair. Here is what it says:

"Is Hair Coloring Safe?
During your pregnancy, you're bound to have many concerns about how your lifestyle, or certain substances you're exposed to either at home or work, could affect your baby. Here are answers to some common questions.

There's no proof that the chemicals in hair dyes cause birth defects, miscarriages, or any other complications -- nor are there reliable studies that prove these substances are safe. Because we don't yet know enough about these chemicals, some doctors say that pregnant women should avoid hair dyes (or at least minimize their contact with them), especially during the first trimester.

Highlighting or streaking your hair, both processes that involve less scalp contact, may be safer. Vegetable-based products, such as henna, are also considered safer. If you decide to color your hair yourself, wear plastic or latex gloves to minimize absorption of the chemicals through your skin, and don't leave the product on your scalp any longer than necessary."

I hope copying and pasting this here is okay. Somebody let me know if it's not please.

I always have. ;)

**Melanie**
baby to be 11/28/05
Justin born 1/17/04
Jory born 4/9/94

http://lilypie.com/days/051128/2/4/1/-6/.png[/img][/url]

Me too! I had my hair colored, high-lighted, & low-lighted multiple times while I was pregnant with DD. I had it colored 2 or 3 days after my first pregnancy test, so before my period was late.

I asked my OB this same question last week! My hair hasn't been cut or highlighted since June 11, and I feel like a character in Fraggle Rock :)

He said after Week 13 I could go in for my highlights.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.