Is it necessary?

LaBonita

So yeah, we're in a recession right now, I got laid off in January, and yet I still decided to splurge on STS (should be arriving tomorrow!). Problem is, I don't have a barbell. I've already spent money on the system, a heavier set of dumbbells, ankle weights, and a tubing system I can attach to a door.

My question is...do you think I could get by without spending even more money on a barbell? I honestly don't want to spend the money on it right now....the money I'm getting from unemployment simply isn't enough. Do you think the majority of the exercises I could substitute dumbbells? (Mind you, I don't lift that heavy in the first place....20 pounds is probably the heaviest set of dumbbells I have). Any advice would be appreciated! :D

LaBonita

I don't think it's necessary to buy a barbell. Actually in mesocycle 2 Deazie uses dumbbells for most of the workout. And I use dumbbells even though I have a barbell but no rack. And I am seeing really nice results. As long as your form is good and you are lifting as heavy as you can, I think you will be find with just using dumbbells.

if you are looking for a cheaper option...I found a great bargain on a barbell set on craigslist WITH a bench for 30 bucks! the bench has a bit of rust on it, but otherwise, it was a steal!!

I don't think you need a barbell for Meso 1 and 2. I'm now in week 3 of Meso 2, and don't believe I used a barbell at all in Meso 1. I do use it in Meso 2 for some exercises, but you can sub dumbbells instead if you want. You may need a barbell for Meso 3 since we will be lifting pretty heavy. The trouble is when you are lifting very heavy, sometimes it is good to switch up and use a barbell instead of a dumbbell.

Thanks for the replies everyone! I'm going to be doing the 6 month rotation (and not doing Meso 3 for now. I know someone else on here is doing it -- Meso 1, Meso 2, and then Meso 1 again). So I probably won't get one at the moment. But when I do decide to get a barbell, which I'm sure I will, I'll definitely check out Craigslist!

Thanks again! :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.