Is anyone else sick of this Rihanna story?

LauraMax

Cathlete
Why on earth is CNN running an update about it every morning? He's a misogynistic pig, she's an idiot for going back to a man who beat the hell outta her.

CNN should leave these stories to TMZ & report on fed & state budgets & economy & politics. :mad:

Oh, and red pandas. ;)

It would be better if they were addressing the issue with all women, not just focusing and worrying about her because she is famous.

If you had a 13 yo daughter (like me) who actually thought Chris Brown could be rehabilitated to never do this again despite his having beat Rihanna multiple times per her statement to police, then "NO" you wouldn't be sick of hearing the media reiterate what a jerk he is and why she is foolish to take him back.

Have you seen the polls among teen girls who think it's actually okay for Rihanna to get back together with that $#%?!! Rihanna is an idol to many teen girls! If she puts up w/ it, they'll think it's okay too! Furthermore, boys will think it's okay since squeaky clean Chris Brown did it!

Obviously, my DD & I have discussed the matter and I've explained that once a guy crosses that line, he'll cross it again and again. Pretty sad that even smart teens might think that guys like that shouldn't be kicked to the curb forever. Sadder still that someone as talented and beautiful as Rihanna would even put up w/ that abuse once.

The fact that Nickolodean wouldn't withdraw Brown's name from their Kids Choice award voting is utterly appalling.

Men who beat women deserve all the jail time and public indignity that can be brought to bear. She needs all the help she can get.

Stepping off my soapbox now.

Right on, Jonahnah!

If you had a 13 yo daughter (like me) who actually thought Chris Brown could be rehabilitated to never do this again despite his having beat Rihanna multiple times per her statement to police, then "NO" you wouldn't be sick of hearing the media reiterate what a jerk he is and why she is foolish to take him back.

Have you seen the polls among teen girls who think it's actually okay for Rihanna to get back together with that $#%?!! Rihanna is an idol to many teen girls! If she puts up w/ it, they'll think it's okay too! Furthermore, boys will think it's okay since squeaky clean Chris Brown did it!

Obviously, my DD & I have discussed the matter and I've explained that once a guy crosses that line, he'll cross it again and again. Pretty sad that even smart teens might think that guys like that shouldn't be kicked to the curb forever. Sadder still that someone as talented and beautiful as Rihanna would even put up w/ that abuse once.

The fact that Nickolodean wouldn't withdraw Brown's name from their Kids Choice award voting is utterly appalling.

Men who beat women deserve all the jail time and public indignity that can be brought to bear. She needs all the help she can get.

Stepping off my soapbox now.

Unfortunately, I have first hand experience with some jerk who wanted to use me as his personal punching bag. This happens too often, is too accepted, hard as it is to believe, and it deserves attention. It's never OK and I'm glad Oprah took up the call that if some guy hits a woman, he'll do it again. IT'S TRUE!!! Let's hope Rihanna gets some sense in her head before she ends up dead.

Sad, just sad. I'm also worried about the mentality of these teen girls who think what he did was OK. And her family is "supporting her decisions"!? WTH? They might not have control over her actions, but they should at least disapprove; that's their flesh and blood getting trampled by that beast!

It makes me sad to think that a generation of young girls thinks being beaten is acceptable. Every time you think we have made progress...

I don't believe for a minute that he can be - or even wants to be - rehabilitated.

The only statement I have seen from him is that he is "sorry for what happened." What kind of distancing statement is that???? As if it were some external event that "happened" instead of something that he DID.

What a jerk.

No, I'm not sick of this story either. I'm not watching CNN that often, but my local news ran a story on how rampant abuse is and how often it escalates. I am thankful for any coverage on such issues. Women in bad situations can get so lost in self doubts, thinking they deserved it, etc. It's a horrible situation.

It would be better if they were addressing the issue with all women, not just focusing and worrying about her because she is famous.

Excellent point. If this was about women instead of celebrities it'd def. be newsworthy.

Johnahnah, I appreciate what you're saying. But I'm curious--do teen girls watch CNN? I will be mighty impressed w/your daughter if yes. Personally I was an Entertainment Tonight girl til I went to college. ;)

I'm not sick of the story, but I am disgusted with the story. I personally don't want to read updates every 5 minutes, but I think it's a good thing for stories like this to remind people that this happens so often. Speaking of constant updates, I just saw that they recorded a duet together earlier this week!

Amy

Yeah that was on CNN this morning too. Amazing. :rolleyes:
You know what's strange? I just came from the doc's office where they listed her as one of the top 10 most confident female celebrities. I guess she fooled them. I can't imagine someone w/such a poor self image that she'd rather be w/someone who beats her than be alone. :(

Excellent point. If this was about women instead of celebrities it'd def. be newsworthy.

Johnahnah, I appreciate what you're saying. But I'm curious--do teen girls watch CNN? I will be mighty impressed w/your daughter if yes. Personally I was an Entertainment Tonight girl til I went to college. ;)

But is IS leading to stories of other women and other situations - that was my point. And that is only to the good.

But is IS leading to stories of other women and other situations - that was my point. And that is only to the good.

IS it? I mean, is it really? Because CNN never discusses statistics, resources for abused women, what to do if a woman is in that situation, or much of anything other than Rihanna, Chris Brown, & occiasionally Oprah's opinion of the whole debacle.

Hi Laura,

ITA that they should cover this kind of abuse for all women! I guess the fact that it happened to this outwardly ideal couple is what made it "news." How sad.

We rarely watch the news in my home. DH and I prefer to read news stories on line rather than just getting the sound bites that many stories degenerate into when delivered on TV news.

Re: my DD--For her Social Studies class she is required to write about 5 current event stories every day (25 stories/wk) so she is on the internet surfing for top events every afternoon on cnn, msnbc, nytimes, washington post etc. Naturally, she's run across this one many, many times. Understand also that this is being discussed among her friends at school and we all know that teens can believe too much of what they learn from their friends. :(

Thanks for asking!

Hi Laura,

Re: my DD--For her Social Studies class she is required to write about 5 current event stories every day (25 stories/wk) so she is on the internet surfing for top events every afternoon on cnn, msnbc, nytimes, washington post etc. Naturally, she's run across this one many, many times. Understand also that this is being discussed among her friends at school and we all know that teens can believe too much of what they learn from their friends. :(

Thanks for asking!

Girl, if I ever had a daughter I'd want her to be just like yours. I cannot believe there's a teen girl in this world who's, you know, so NICE.

IS it? I mean, is it really? Because CNN never discusses statistics, resources for abused women, what to do if a woman is in that situation, or much of anything other than Rihanna, Chris Brown, & occiasionally Oprah's opinion of the whole debacle.

Well, as I pointed out - I'm not watching CNN. My local news and the CBS Nightly news (just two that I happened to see last night alone) are running stories on abuse in general, running statistics, saying how it's much more common than you think... What to do if you are being abused... Because of the Riann situation, this information is getting out. Maybe not on CNN - but it is out there. It's sad to think that it takes a celebrity getting beaten up to bring it all to the fore front, but it is what it is.

I also have a teenage daughter that is a huge fan of both of them. She is aware of what is going on through the media she pays attention to.

However, because I don't watch the entertainment shows or read the teenage stuff, I will only hear about it through the "adult" new shows like CNN or GMA, etc.

So this news story has prompted me to have a few discussions with my daughter about this situation. Too many kids get involved in something that they cannot handle and a lot of times hide it from their parents because of embarassment or shame.

Having this story out there so much in the adult community, makes us adults realize once again how this stuff can happen to anyone and it opens up dialogue with our children so that if, God forbid, it does happen to them, they can come to their parents or to another trusted adult.

Girl, if I ever had a daughter I'd want her to be just like yours. I cannot believe there's a teen girl in this world who's, you know, so NICE.

Awwww, thanks! (but you should see what she's like when she gets out of bed in the morning for school--not so nice! :eek: :p)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.