Is anyone an LPN?

dixiedog6

Cathlete
I am thinking on making a career change and going back to school. What do you like and dislike about your career? TIA

Hi Dixie, I'm an RN, have been for 20 years and love what I do. Nursing is a great profession, there are many settings you can work in, different educational avenues you can pursue. It is hard work, but I would defy you to find a worthy profession that isn't.

Go for it!

Bridget

Thank you Bridget. I thought this would be a perfect stepping stone to my RN at a later date. I just want a career that when I am done at the end of the day, I know I made an impact in someone's life, big or small. You are so right, every profession is hard work and I'm sure frustrating at times. Thank you so much!

Hi!

I am teacher, but one of my friends is an LPN. She left her job so she could pursue her RN degree. It is extremely hard work, but you are right, all jobs are really. She has such a passion for her work and is great at it.

I say go for it! Good luck! :)

Thank you Gloria! The work I do now is very physically demanding, but it is mind numbing and not the least bit fulfilling. Your friend sounds like she really has found her calling. Nurses are so important.

I am not a nurse, but my sister is a RN. I just had to chime in because I am so in awe of nurses and what they do. I'll admit, she has some really rough days - hellish patients, doctors who don't appreciate her, days when she barely has enough time to go to the bathroom, etc. HOWEVER, I can't tell you how many time she tells me about patients who tell her what an impact she's had on their lives. She truly loves what she does, and I know she was made to be a nurse. I definitely don't think it is for everyone, but it almost seems to be a calling for those who choose the profession.

And I have to say, I tell her all the time how great it would be to leave work feeling like you really made an impact. How many of us can say that on a daily basis? I know I certainly can't. I work in an office and rarely am told that I do a good job or feel that I am making a difference.

Anyhow, for Bridget and all of the nurses on this board THANK YOU for what you do. You have a tough job, but you touch so many lives and often make a bad situation just a little bit better. Keep up the great work!

Hi there:)

I am an RN, but haven't practiced in about 7 years. DH and I had an opportunity to become business owners and we have been going strong with that ever since. Of coarse, I keep my CEU's current. You just never know when you might need a back up plan, especially in todays climate.

Anyhow, I thought I would mention that when I worked with LPN's in the hospital setting, they had almost identical responsibilites as an RN but made about half the wage of an RN.:eek: You might want to consider just going for your RN right from the get go. Many of the LPN's said they had full intentions of going back to school for their RN, but the bills just kept piling up and they just never got around to it. So, for the extra few months of schooling to be an RN vs. LPN, I'd seriously consider just going for your RN. If you're not sure whether or not you'd like the nursing profession, I would suggest becoming a nurses aide first since it requires much less schooling and it will give you a good introduction into nursing. Being a NA is not for the squeemish, but neither is nursing. Also, if you have no medical experience, being a NA will give you experience that you can really use when you start nursing school (even if you only have a few months experience at it) especially if it is in a hospital.

Remember too that there's lots of things you can do with your nursing degree. If you don't like the hospital setting, there's LOTS of other avenues you can persue.

HTH - good luck!

Last edited:
I Was an LPN

I went to vocational school part of my junior & senior years, so I was an LPN when I graduated high school. I personally always saw it as a stepping stone, and I worked part-time in a hospital while pursing my RN, BSN full-time at a local college. I then went to work in a university affiliated medical center, and I have been at the same hospital for 26 years. My longevity at this hospital , and in this profession is due to flex-time (12 hr shifts:3 days a week), job security, opportunities to work in different areas (ICU, Cardiac Rehab, ER, and currently Dialysis). However, you will work weekends, nights, holidays, and get to pick at the worst vacation times...especially in the beginning.

Angie_nrs has a good point about considering going straight for your RN. Over the years there have been debates over whether or not to eliminate the LPN role and require a Bachelor of Science degree (BSN) for entry into the practice of nursing. But due to cyclical shortages, that idea often goes on the back burner.

Thanks to Jody for a nice post.

Good Luck!

Thank you. I do want to pursue my LPN. The province I live in will pay for me to do the 2 year LPN program and then the University will accept my LPN credit toward my RN. If I stay here to get my RN, the province will the pay 3,000 toward my tuition and reduce my student loan debt significantly if I work here for a year.

Good Plan

Wow, my total tuition for my RN was $3,000! But that was back in the day (LOL). These days there seem to be many reimbursement incentives for nursing like what you mentioned. It sounds like you have a good plan.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.