Internet security - what products???

Marie1120

Cathlete
We have McAfee internet security products on our PC now but they will expire and want $150 to renew. Should we renew or buy something new? All you computer techies - what product or products would you recommend for a couple that are technically challenged?

Please help! Thanks.

I have had Trend Micro PC Cillin for many years and love it. Their tech support is great, and it basically runs by itself. I think I purchased it initially from Amazon and renew every year for about $25.

HTH

We used to have McAfee...we now have Norton and like it better. I'm no techie so I can't get into any detail but we just feel it's a better product. I just recently renewed the subscription on it and it only cost about $30.00 for the year. I think when it was first installed that included a year's subscription. I'm not sure what the software runs but I'm pretty sure it's no more than $100!

We use Panda Plantinum. I think we got it originally from Staples for around $70 or so, but we just got a second one from website (of course, I can't remember the name right now) for $20. I think Panda was a Consumer Reports recommendation.

It'll most likely be divided between Norton and McAfee. I had Norton System Works and I liked it but on an old PC it was a resource hog. I have a new PC that came with McAfee and I have the suite for 3 years. I like it fine, I also have a firewall thru my router and I feel pretty secured!

There are a few free programs I have heard recommended including the other ones mentioned. AVG is a GOOD free Anti-Virus program and Zone Alarm is a GOOD free firewall...I am using AVG on my older PC and I like it alot. Easy to use. The site is http://www.grisoft.com/doc/1 Zone Alarm is http://www.zonealarmdirect.com/co/zonelabs/01/default_lp2.asp?sid=M2AG0002dGS

and now I don't think it is free, thought it was...hope this helps...:)

My rec's (been doing computers of one form or another since 1970)

Norton Antivirus or Bitdefender (not suites, just the standalone products)

Lavasofts Adaware and Spybot Search and Destroy, with Spybot installation opt for "Tea Timer" which will stop registry changes without your OK.

For a Firewall use ZoneAlarm.

Adaware, Spybot and Zonealarm are FREE for the download.

This should secure you.

Dave

Thanks for all the responses and hope to see more.

I have seen mixed opinions on Norton & McAfee. Actually the few reviews I found of the Panda Platinum software was the best although not many. Would prefer to go with one software pkg but open.

We have a Dell w/ microsoft XP if that matters.

We tried running the free Adaware on our old PC and never seemed to wrok right. Shortly after we had major issues with the PC operating and all word files looking like they were in hyroglyphics. Ended up having to get a new PC and lost all documents. Since then nervous about down loading anything free.

Carole - thanks for the link to that forum. A lot of it over my head but still interesting.

I am so jealous of all of you that know all this computer stuff. It is such a struggle for us.

Marie...I had some trouble with Adaware on my old PC, but I use the paid version on my new PC and it works great. Please don't be afraid of free things that are rated highly. I think you should try Spybot to get some junk off your PC, trust me you will find spyware and although spyware is not always severely damaging it can slow your PC down.

Dave here has helped me alot and I have used the tech site and gotten good advice, I'll try and find a link about security for you. When you have time read through this one and see if it helps.

http://forums.techguy.org/security/208517-general-security-information-how-tighten.html

I have actually learned alot from problems I have had with my own PC!!...:)

Please note that the more recent versions of Norton come bundled with antispyware software. In addition to the antivirus software and anti-spyware, you must also have a personal firewall in place as well. Dave already recommended an excellent product from Zone Labs (I use this one as well).

Let us know what you decide to use.
Lorrayne

McAfee sent us another notice but now only $50 rather than $150 so we might stick with that for now. I am not sure if it has antispyware though or all the components we should have so need to figure all that out. I know it has antispam and virus protection and I think a firewall. We don't have alot of time to play with the computer but just want to be sure we don't have a repeat of whatever happened to our other one. I think we'd be less paranoid if we knew it was a hard drive problem but as weird as it was acting and what was happening I am not sure if it could have been that. Thanks.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.