Intermittent Fasting plan....started yesterday.

horselady21

Cathlete
HI! I have been struggling on and off for a couple of years with that stubborn last 20 lbs to lose, plus the muffin top, etc. I am 53, and it is frustrating to work out, eat "right", and not see the fat budge! I am sure I am not alone.

So I was looking at CNN or something yesterday, and saw an article from the UK about a plan that was developed in 2013. The book is called "The Fast Diet": "fast" as in "fasting", not speedy!

I have never fasted. I LOVE food, and the more I thought about it, that is all I think about! I have always been afraid of being hungry. So I read the book, and some of the forums, and decided to give it a try.

The basic premise is 5:2.....in other words, you drop your calories to around 500 for 2 non-consecutive days. The other 5 you eat normally. Keep your workouts the same, with hiit recommended.

And the research shows that your body does NOT go into starvation mode. It takes a lot longer for that to happen.

There other versions of this: ADF, alternate day fasting, and so on. The intermittent is supposed to be more sustainable. Anyhow, I am about 18 hours into my first fasting day, and it is a lot easier than I thought it would be! I will try to post periodically to let you know my results.

Interesting that you post this now as my co-worker just started the same diet last week and also said those 500calorie days weren't as bad as she thought they'd be. I'm also one who fears that feeling of hunger! You'll have to keep us updated on your progress. Does it also have some kind of maintenance plan so you don't gain the weight back after stopping?
Jamie

Hi,

I have heard that there are "cons" for women, but no list of what they are or an explanation of why. I can only speak from my own experience ( little as it is) and this is the easiest way I have found to keep under a certain calorie goal and for me, it eliminates sugar cravings which is my downfall.

P.S the 1st and 3rd links did not open for me, and the 2nd one appears to indicate positive views on IF for women.

I really don't particularly care what articles say...seems to me that if you want to believe in something (or not), one can always find an article or research that will prove what you want to believe. I have tried everything else, since reaching about 45, and I got this far (lost 40 lbs since back surgery in 2009), but just can't get these last pounds off. What do I have to lose, really, except the weight??

I am in hour 23, and it really isn't as bad as I thought it would be. I really am embarrassed at myself because of how much I am addicted to food, and how much I ate.

In the last several years, after reading about eating a several small meals through the day being better at controlling hunger, I wonder if that is true for me, or if it just made me constantly think of food! That is covered in the book also. A lot of myths are dispelled. I don't know if they are accurate, but hey, if it works for me, I'll be happy! There are supposedly other benefits health-wise to eating this way.

After getting to your goal weight, it is said that you can go to a 6:1 (fast 1 day only), and also, you can go the other way if you need to drop for a wedding or whatever.

I don't know, but I thought I would be all tired and stuff, but I am at work and I feel pretty good. I'm gonna give it my all, and see what happens. I will keep you informed!

Just over a couple of years ago I decided I wanted to lose about 10lbs before my daughter's 18th. As I was wondering how to go about it (I'm not a calorie counter, and had never 'dieted' before, having always been a fairly normal weight) the BBC showed the Horizon programme with Michael Moseley explaining the 5:2 diet. Horizon is the BBC's flagship science programme - very well regarded. I was so impressed by the episode that I started the 5:2 the very next day. I lost more than the 10lbs with no problem whatsoever. I lost it consistently, at just over 1lb per week (I think about 12 lbs took 9 weeks IIRC). I LOVE my food, and I thought I'd struggle - but I discovered that I only got hungry once I started eating. I actually didn't even have 500 calories a day - I just had a drop of milk in my tea, and that was it.

What impressed me the most was that when I finished, and went back to eating 'normally' I didn't put any of the weight back on. I still haven't put back any fat (I've been on a hypertrophy rotation, though, so my weight will have gone up - but intentionally). I still use the concept after having overindulged for a while....basically I just cut calories right back a couple of days. Obviously IF doesn't mess with my metabolism.

A couple of points worth considering: I wasn't lifting very heavy at the time, and I'm not sure I'd have been able to. Also, a friend on the diet thought it was an excuse to go mad and over-eat on the non-fast days! It doesn't work!!! Just try to eat relatively 'normally'.

I'd say, just give it a try. What's more you'll save $$$$ as well....better than buying expensive shakes and meal replacements etc!

Justinef, thanks for the positive input! How similar our thoughts about food, eh?! And yes, I wondered how many people will just binge on non-fasting days..kind of like taking one step forward, three steps back! Makes no sense to do that. So I am going to still eat sensibly , with a treat here and there.

I was doing STS but stopped because I was getting bigger. I still do some weight work but not the heavy stuff like I was. Just Zumba twice a week, Cathe one day and running a 5k once a week.

I think this is the answer for me.

You ladies have me intrigued. I just looked up the web site and now have a few questions, if that's okay. What kind of foods do you eat on your fast days and how often or how many times a day are you eating? I used to eat smaller meals more often but found that truly doesn't work for my anymore. I also found for me, that eating my dinner at around 3pm and a small snack (apple or salad) around 7-8pm works best. What kind of drinks are you drinking? I do drink a lot of water, but I don't do any hot tea or coffee, but I do drink 1-2 glasses of crystal light during the day, but I mix mine in a gallon of water to dilute it more because of the taste. Do you go by your BMR or your TDEE for the amount of calories you should eat in a day, esp. is you want to lose weight? I would like to start this soon if I'm going to do it, esp. with my husband leaving town for a few weeks, it will make it easier.

Kim

Since I am just starting, I will just recap what I have read in the book so far.

On fasting days, besides drinking water, coffee and/or tea, most people drink broth/soup, nuts, veges, especially leafy greens, fruit (but watch what kind of fruit - some are worse than others- they say apples are good). I ate a 100 calorie pack of almonds last night, a piece of whole wheat toast with a bit of peanut butter, and today I had 2 eggs for breakfast, 10 pistachios, and had a couple bites of low fat yogurt. Later tonight I will hit the veges.

I drink Crystal light also! That is good, they say. On their web site, there is a calculator.

http://thefastdiet.co.uk/how-many-calories-on-a-non-fast-day/

When I did the 5:2 diet for real, I just drank tea on my fast days - no food!

These days, if I'm doing a 'lite' day, I'll basically have what horselady mentioned above - broth, veggies, salads, lean meat / fish. Oh, and plenty of water - it really makes a difference when you're fasting.

Here's the original programme which got me started (if you can access BBC iplayer outside the UK?)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01lxyzc

I routinely do this a few days each week kinda of a partial fast THis is where I go at least 12 hours within a 24 without food. All that mean is I stop eating 4 hour before sleep or (2 before) and (2 after sleep) with out food. THen I get 2 meals and I graze on nuts throughout the day. . It really seems to help my body detox a bit each day. I sleep better/skin better just general well being. I don't exclude any food and drink lots of water.

I've never done a extened fast. I think for me it would just make me want to binge eat after the fast buts that's just me.

I have only done the 16:8 and after the first 3 days it is easier and you stop thinking about food. It is almost hard to get all the calories you want to consume in the 8 hour window.

Horselady21,

I think you should try it. I've done it a little differently than most. I base it on my work schedule. When I work three days in a row, the second day I do a fast. I get up, eat a good breakfast at 5 Am, pack my lunch, and have lunch at work between 10:30 and 1:00-depends how the day is going! This stops me from snacking all the time at work. So, I stop eating at 1 PM that day and don't have anything besides hot tea and water until 5 AM the next morning. I do a workout after work-whatever I feel like and then I'm usually tired and go to bed by 8 PM. My point is: you have to find what works for YOU! I happen to love breakfast and since I've kind of followed the: eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and supper like a pauper lifestyle anyway, this is what I've come up with. I work two 3 day blocks every two weeks, so I fast about once a week.

Good luck and keep up posted on your progress!

Beth

Alright I did one day of the 500calories yesterday and have to admit, I was not starving what's so ever, and actually only felt hungry around 5pm so had some chicken breast and small salad. I'll have to figure out which other day of the week I can do it as I find I'm very hungry at work - maybe it's a mental thing though. I also find if I don't eat breakfast my hunger pains do not really bother me....
Jamie

Way to go, Jamie! Yeah, as much as I was eating before, I too was surprised at how long I went before hearing the tummy rumbles. When I would glance at the clock, I would recall how much I would have eaten before and just shook my head. I think I ate from boredom.

I found that to be true with me as well. All that thinking about "what to eat for those 6 small meals", made me focus on food all day!

You are so right about eating out of boredom - that's my downfall in the evening so will have to find something to occupy my time. Maybe i have to get a dog and go for walks LOL! Ok i know i can walk without a dog but it's just too boring that way...
Jamie

This is very interesting. I am going to check out the website and book. I see amazon has a few books about it. Do you you eat normally 5 days and just pick 2 days of the week to fast. so I could fast, let's say Tuesday and Thursday and eat normally the rest of the days? My biggest problem is the afternoon at work. I get bored and just keep nibbling.

Yes. Most people do 2 days like Monday and Thursday. I find it hard during the week so am doing mine on weekends. I work with all guys and they eat constantly! And all but 2 are huge!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.