Intensity workout

Kellyro77

Cathlete
I'm super happy with myself that I've made it half way through the XTrain 90-day rotation so far. I've been enjoying it so much that I'm sure I'm going to do it again this year after a three-month "break".

One of my only issues is that I get pretty burned out on doing the same cardio day in and day out, especially the same three cardio workouts repeated during a three-month period.

I was considering my other Cathe DVDs to fill in as occasional replacements the next time I do the XTrain rotation and remembered I have Intensity. Its one I've dreaded often, but after successfully making my way through a couple Tabatacise workouts, I'm eyeballing Intensity thinking I may be able to do more of it now.

With the different premixes in that DVD, I could use it to replace the All Out Low Impact HiiT DVD, the Tabatacise DVD (although I know Intensity isn't Tabata, it's STILL brutal), and, if I use one of the Boot Camp premixes, it could also fill in for the Super Cuts DVD.

Also, I'm thinking I could potentially utilize Hard Strikes with its conditioning work as an occasional Super Cuts replacement (I'm kind of sad that the official XTrain rotation never has you touch anything on Hard Strikes beyond the cardio.)

This is all making it sound like I hate Super Cuts... I don't. But again, just thinking of ways to mix it up and still get the same principle of a workout without repeating it multiple times next time I tackle XTrain.

Congrats on your progress! I too substituted cardio ... I have many (maybe all) of Cathe's Kickbox workouts, so I substituted many for Hardstrikes. I really like AOLIH & Tabatacise, but sometimes substituted other HiIT workouts. And sometimes I'd substitute RWH Legs, Lower Body Blast, or the 2 ICE lower body workouts for variety. I did keep all the UB workouts the same, although I added many of the bonus 100 Rep challenges & did the Rear Delts bonus every week. And I grew to love Supercuts... I really enjoyed the rotation you are doing ... but I did make substitutes to keep it fresh & interesting. You'll often hear Cathe say something to the effect "it's your workout, make it work for you".

I love, love, love the XTrain rotation you are doing. :) Great idea to use Intensity with it when you want to mix things up. That is a workout I go to a lot as it has so much variety it never gets stale.

Thanks to you too, Debinmi. Great switch-it-out ideas.

This idea of switching some workouts out for others that target the same goal makes me want to do XTrain even more. I think it will be a super fun and effective way to get prepared for the long anticipated STS 2.0!

I'm on week eight now of the previously mentioned XTrain rotation. I had a scheduled rest week after the rotation's week six. I picked up with week seven after my rest week. I'm so excited to see that I'm able to increase my weight selections for many of the exercises. I've also added on one of the 100 rep challenges each week since the beginning and I try to make sure I do the rear delt bonus most weeks, too.

It's so fun watching my body improve and adapt like this. I actually caught some definition in my shoulder where my shoulder meets my tricep/biceps. I just needed the focused emphasis on lifting heavy and to failure that was absent in all my other Cathe strength DVDs (I don't have STS.)

I'm liking these results so much that I might actually reduce my "break" before my next XTrain rotation to just a month or two, instead of my initially-planned three months. It's hard because I do love my other Cathe workouts, too. I miss them! If I go into her other titles, hopefully I can bring the heavy/to-failure principle with me.

Now if only I can get my hormonal eating reined in! Flippin' peri-menopause.

Edited to add - after doing Supercuts a few times now, I absolutely adore that workout. While they're brutal, those sit-outs are so much fun!

So glad to hear of your progress Kellyro77 ... "keep on Xtraining!" ... My shoulders changed with this rotation also ... I went from rounded shoulders to more square ... it was so remarkable to me. I think that Rear Delt Bonus chapter really helps!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.