Inspiring Autistic Teen Video

Thanks Dave for your words of advice. I can't get my hands on the info for the local-ish place right at the moment but it sounded like a good fit for my son, he's almost 11, and they offer a small group for spectrum kids and there is the instructor as well as a person who has a lot of experience with autism who helps.

As ever, it's a question of finances and logistics. With two special needs kids it's always a juggling game. We'd be doing great with a once a week class.

I'll certainly be thinking about you on Thursday night! Will you be filming?

I certainly wonder about my son being able to take care of himself as he gets older and out into the big bad world.

Aha! Found it. http://www.eastcoastkaratehome.com/

DX will call them today and make inquiries. It isn't close but I think I like the vibe here.

The test lasts about 2 - 2 1/2 hours, I may only film the award

They start on the first kata (floor exercise) and go through all of them up to the black belt ones. Then they do the weapons drills Sai (trident one in each hand like the movie Elektra), then the Bo (staff), nunchaka (nun-chucks), Kama (scythe like weapons one in each hand) then finally the Tonfa (nightsticks)

When its over he'll be a ball of sweat. He could be a black belt in a year or so, that test takes all day.

I used to spar with him, it became unsafe for me a year ago. I'm a master of "drunken street fighting".

I may have met the Sensei of your prospective school at a tournament, if it is the gentleman I met you should have no regrets.

Swampscott Ma ? I used to work in Wilmington and I lived in Hyde Park.
The right dojo will be worth the effort, you may even be able to mainstream your son into the "regular" program

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.