Insanity, anyone? Help!

rose2boys

Cathlete
Trying to decide if I should bother getting Insanity at this point...I've been pretty intrigued w/ insanity program for quite a while; trying to wait for Shock Cardio & use what I've got (which is quite a bit!) BUT....I AM IN A WORKOUT RUT! I need a structured program and to blast off some fat.

Question is, do I take the plunge (& spend more $) & start Insanity at this point or just sit tight and wait it out? Is it worth it?

I love INSANITY. I'll be honest, between half marathon training and an injury, I haven't been able to complete the program as structured, but it's still awesome! I love that it is such a short but unbelievably intense cardio workout with no equipment needed! Even with the sporadic nature of my performance with it, I notice an improvement EVERY time I repeat a workout! It's similar to P90X Plyometrics, but I can actually COMPLETE an INSANITY workout! But, on the money side of things, I only pre-ordered the MMA Shock Cardio series...not coordinated enough for the step workouts and can't imagine needing any additional HIIT workout DVDs after INSANITY. Also, if you do order it, do so through a BeachBody coach to save big bucks on shipping! That's my only regret about it...paid too much for S&H!
JMHO!

Becky

I think Insanity is worth it. I started doing some of the Insanity workouts a few weeks ago as I was finishing up a P90X rotation. I am now doing the Insanity rotation. These are definitely getting me out of a rut I had gotten in having done a six month STS rotation followed by P90X.

While I'm not so sure how often I will do the rotation as it is planned, I find these workouts to be the ultimate in cardio flexibility AND incredibly effective. I think they will be good to add to any strength training rotation (like STS) as I enjoyed doing them with P90X. I also like them because they require no equipment and require little room so are great for travelling (which is how I've been using them over the past two weeks). The best thing about these workouts, though, is that I feel both accomplished and energized when I am done with them.

And then there is Shaun T. Before I talk about Shaun T., let me state that I have found it difficult to workout with anybody but Cathe for some time because I so enjoy her personality. And while I got through my P90X rotation, I find Tony Horton an odd combination of amusing and annoying. But I have completely fallen in love with Shaun T. I find it very easy to workout with him on these DVDs and will definitely look into any future workouts he decides to do.

So, in my opinion, if you are looking for effective, flexible cardio workouts led by a charismatic instructor....get Insanity!!!

I love insanity!! I find this is the single most intense and fun indoor cardio right up there with spinerval for me. My only advise is make sure you spring for the deluxe. Max Sport Interval training is my favorite workout EVER!!
Not sure if that helps, but wanted to add my own opinion here to help you make your decision (aka enable;)

I absolutely LOVE Insanity! Shaun T. is fun and is very motivating. It is a tough challenge every single time. I love doing HIIT. I have to best results from it.

I have to agree with everyone. TOTALLY worth it IMO! I am only a few days away from completing my first rotation with it and I just ordered the Deluxe Disc!!!! I'm so excited! :D

love it love it love it!! Its getting me past a nasty wieght plateau. Month 2 week one people are starting to say it looks like I lost a lot of wieght.

AND I feel like I can take on the world when I'm done

Another Insanitina checking in. The more I do them the more I enjoy them. And they are very, very effective for energy burning, cardiovascular training and muscle power conditioning.

I also agree with the advice to get the Deluxe package because it contains Max Interval Sports Training AND Insane Abs, one of the barn-burniest core routines I've ever done. You do get a ton of extraneous fluff along with that package (including some vile brew that Beachbody calls "Results And Recovery Formula" and that I call "panther piss"), but you also get more workouts that will serve you in great stead.

A-Jock

Just had to get my YES vote in ! I agree with everything posted above. Except I think you need the deluxe package because I love the upper body weight workout. I did the rotation as suggested and since then I've been using the workouts a couple times a week. They have not gotten boring to me.

Love these workouts, Love Shaun T.

I too absolutely love Insanity! It was by far my best fitness DVd purchase this year and probably in a few years! Shaun T and the workouts are great. I completed my two month rotation and I continue to do Insanity workouts at least twice weekly. I also agree that you should get the Deluxe package. My favorite workout Max Interval Sports Training is in the deluxe package. The Upper Body weight Training DVd that is also part of the deluxe package is a solid, fun, challenging workout!

I had great results with it!

Last edited:
Yes,yes, yes... I've done Insanity 2 month rotation, and my cardiovascular endurance went to the roof, I love it. Now I can do some of Cathe step workout in the (8 inches) step, or two risers, and I'm not running out of breath.
I agree with everyone here Shaun T is fun and easy to fallow, not annoying, and very good instructor.. I don't have the deluxe package, but now that's on my list..
So if you can do it , just do it.;)

WOW!

What great responses. Tbank you for the input. The only concern (other than spending more $) is the high impact - will it be too much for me? and boredom. I don't usually like a lot of repeating the same thing over & over.

However, I am just about to buy, maybe insanity just the thing to get me out of my rut - what a bunch of enablers you are!

Keep the opinions coming...

LOVED it! My DH & I did the rotation as suggested with just a couple of tiny modifications. We had great results. We are still doing one of the workouts every other week as part of our 2d STS rotation. I agree on getting the Deluxe -- it's worth it IMHO.

I have some issues with my knees when I run, so I took someone else's suggestion and ordered the Mueller's Jumper's Knee Straps from Amazon -- I had NO trouble with my knees during Insanity.

Get it -- I don't think you'll regret it.

What great responses. Tbank you for the input. The only concern (other than spending more $) is the high impact - will it be too much for me? and boredom. I don't usually like a lot of repeating the same thing over & over.

However, I am just about to buy, maybe insanity just the thing to get me out of my rut - what a bunch of enablers you are!

Keep the opinions coming...

I really don't think you'll have that problem, especially if you do your own thing in terms of scheduling rather than following Shaun's rotation. Even though I painstakingly listed out all of the drills for each workout onto a spreadsheet (an indication of precisely how mentally ill - actually, INSANE - I am), I seldom remember from one workout to the next exactly what's coming up. So it stays fresh that way. For some reason I get a mental picture of Cathe and Amy workouts within a doing or two so I usually know what's coming up next. With INSANITY, not.

Let me know if you need any more enabling.

A-Jock

You guys are a bunch of enablers:eek:!!! I have been on the fence as well but no you've all sold me!! I am ordering today along with the GWF!!!

Go for it!! I started Insanity this Sunday and am LOVING IT!! I've never in my life felt so accomplished after a workout as I do with Insanity. I still love my Cathe, but these workouts are awesome - and I've only done three of them so far!! Get it, get it, GET IT!!! :p:p

I really don't think you'll have that problem, especially if you do your own thing in terms of scheduling rather than following Shaun's rotation. Even though I painstakingly listed out all of the drills for each workout onto a spreadsheet (an indication of precisely how mentally ill - actually, INSANE - I am), I seldom remember from one workout to the next exactly what's coming up. So it stays fresh that way. For some reason I get a mental picture of Cathe and Amy workouts within a doing or two so I usually know what's coming up next. With INSANITY, not.

Let me know if you need any more enabling.

A-Jock

Hey, A-Jock,
From one anal retentive to another, would you be willing to share those spreadsheets? I actually hand wrote the list of exercises in each workout, and I would peek at it periodically to see what was next. I agree with you that I never remembered without peeking, and we never got bored. In fact, now that we finished the rotation, I miss the workouts and Shaun T. We have one on tap for Sunday, though.

If you'll share, send me a PM.
Thanks a bunch!

Yes, it will blast the fat

I lost 2 pounds in my first week. This is the lowest weight I have been in 14 years. :p I do tons of running and never seemed to get the weight off, but this did. (Before I started I had lost 10 and was stuck.)

Jen

I am just about done with my Insanity rotation and have lost 5 pounds putting me UNDER my lowest weight in YEARS! I too run and although I'm not consistent with it right now, I was very much so for a couple of years and never had these kinds of results! Everyone is different of course but these work outs seem to be getting results for people no matter what!

Hey, A-Jock,
From one anal retentive to another, would you be willing to share those spreadsheets? I actually hand wrote the list of exercises in each workout, and I would peek at it periodically to see what was next. I agree with you that I never remembered without peeking, and we never got bored. In fact, now that we finished the rotation, I miss the workouts and Shaun T. We have one on tap for Sunday, though.

If you'll share, send me a PM.
Thanks a bunch!

Pinkmom, I sent you a PM. Are you not blessed?

A-Jock

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.