Inflammatory Breast Cancer - Important Info (graphic)

Dani,

A thread was posted not too long ago about IBC and until then I had never heard of it.

This message can't be read too often. Thanks for posting.

Dani,

Thank you for the information. I had no idea. Shoot, yet another thing women have to go through. Is there no end?

Janie

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return"
Nature Boy by eden ahbez 1908-1995

RE: Inflammatory Breast Cancer - Important Info (graphi...

Dani,

Thanks so much for posting. I have never heard of this. Very important information for all women.

Thanks again,
Kel

I was just at my gynecologist last week, and she said a lot of people had been freaking out about IBC. This goes to show how important it is to know your breasts' shape, form, texture, etc. Keep an eye on things very regularly and note changes.

Also, this might be worth starting another thread, but she suggested I get the HPV vaccine, which can help prevent cancer and lesions of the female reproductive system. It's offered now to females ages 9-26, and I just turned 26 (TODAY ACTUALLY!), so I went ahead and got my first of three vaccines last week. Definitely recommend it to loved ones!

>I was just at my gynecologist last week, and she said a lot
>of people had been freaking out about IBC. This goes to show
>how important it is to know your breasts' shape, form,
>texture, etc. Keep an eye on things very regularly and note
>changes.
>
>Also, this might be worth starting another thread, but she
>suggested I get the HPV vaccine, which can help prevent cancer
>and lesions of the female reproductive system. It's offered
>now to females ages 9-26, and I just turned 26 (TODAY
>ACTUALLY!), so I went ahead and got my first of three vaccines
>last week. Definitely recommend it to loved ones!

Thanks for that additional info! It's too late for me to get that vaccine. I'm 38 but....

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://danid.smugmug.com/photos/68850611-L.gif

MAMMOGRAMS ARE NOT FOR WOMEN UNDER 40.

IF YOU FIND A LUMP, TRY AN ULTRASOUND FIRST.

SOME LUMPS CAN BE NEAR THE CHEST WALL AND CANNOT BE FELT.

laspark- actually, Mammograms are for any age of woman who either has a history of breast issues or has a very strong family history of breast cancer. I have taken care of women in their 20's who have such a strong history of breast cancer in their family that their doctors started mammograms on them and found breast cancer! "Routine" screening mammograms are not recommended for women under 40.

Does anyone know how common this is? It struck me that if most doctors have never even seen a case and numerous cancer groups don't deal with it, then it must be pretty rare, thankfully.

Dani, thanks for posting, I'd never heard of this!

Sparrow
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ‘Wow - what a ride!’ — Peter Sage

Mammograms are not just for women 40 and over! I had my baseline at 35 and thank heavens for that because I was diagnosed last September with a Stage III tumor and IBC in the left breast at age 37. If I had never gotten a baseline mammogram, there would have been nothing to compare to...

Plus, if I had waited until I was 40 to even get my first mammogram...I don't even want to think about it!

I have no history of breast cancer in my family, but the Dr. decided to get my baseline at 35 because of the general lumpiness/fiberous texture of my breast.

The youngest person I've heard about getting breast cancer was age 19. I've read a number of stories of women finding their tumors while breastfeeding their children.

It goes on and on. It's so overwhelming and so scary.

BTW, The Orphan was mammogrammed yesterday and she looks plump and healthy, a bouncing 1 kilogram boobie. I think I'll name her Pearl.

Check your breasts everyone! Hey - let's all do it in the shower tonight!

Susan L.G.

Mammos are Not always good for young women. I am speaking this from experience. This is information that I have read too. I have a family history. The mammo missed the mass altogether. It was the ultrasound that picked it up.

I just put this info out there, so that any other young women out there, who has a mass, to consider the ultrasound first.

When I had my lump, I was mammogrammed and ultrasounded on the same day, but I don't know if that's "standard procedure". Anything to get a good look at what's in there, I guess.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.