Increasing weight

Colia

Banned
Hi Cathe!

Hope this little note finds you and everyone well. I apologize if this has been asked before, but my question regards increasing weight in the PS tapes. There are several exercises (mainly biceps and shoulders) in which I can't seem to make the jump from one set of dumbbells to the next without getting too fatigued at the pace of the workout. Should I just do as many as I can at the workout pace and stop early, or should I slow down to my own pace and do the total number of reps you do at the increased weight? These usually involve dumbbells, where it is more difficult to just add a pound or two. Hope this makes sense, and thanks to anyone who can advise!

Cheers,
Colia

Hi Colia!

You could actually try both methods but the first one I would try is slowing down and doing the total number of reps that I do at the increased weight(NOTE: when increasing your weights, go no higher than 2 pound increments per few weeks of training).

As you get stronger you may find that suddenly you are able to keep up with the actual workout speed using the heavier weight.

Good luck and train safe!

Hi Colia, Something I've found helpful when I want to increase my weight is adding these plates called PlateMates to my dumbbells. They magneticly attach to each end of your dumbbell. Then you can increase your weight more gradually than having to go up to the next size dumbbell. Hope this helps. Sheila

I have those too.....

....and I also have been known to use ankle weights!

Platemates!

I have them as well. While they're not cheap, I wouldn't trade them for the world! I've found that they allow me to increase my weights without stressing my joints. I have constant problems with my elbows and shoulders and these have really made a difference for me. Check them out!

Elizabeth Kelly
happy.gif

Thanks!

Thanks Cathe and to everyone who replied. What a great idea those plate weights sound like - I'm gonna check them out. Have a great weekend!

Cheers,
Colia

Where did you purchase them?

PlateMates sound great but where should I start looking for them?

PlateMates

Hi Debra! I got them here:
http://www.qfac.com/-exercise/devices.html
I searched online to compare prices, but this was the only site I could find that offered them. Being that they weigh quite a bit, you do pay a bit extra for shipping as well and the units themselves, which are pricey. But like I said, I wouldn't give them up for nuttin'! Happy shopping!

Elizabeth Kelly
happy.gif

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.