Incorporating running + Xtrain

skatch

Cathlete
Hi! I just started Xtrain 90 day undulating program today. I usually have one day of running a week (about 5-8kms) I would still like to continue running though so it's not super hard to get back into it! How can I incorporate running into the rotation? I don't want to do two workouts in one day. I was thinking of running as the first day of each week and then follow the program for 5 days, one day off...continue with the program adding a run day here and there. What is everyone else doing?

When I'm following a rotation, I'll just insert a run on say Tuesday, and then pick up the rotation on Wednesday where I left off. It ends up being longer that a month (or 3 months) whatever the time frame but it works for me. I just don't have the time to double up on workouts and since I love to run, I refuse to give those workouts up.

I'm going to start XTRAIN today, but my plan is to run 3-4 days a week with the program. I'll probably do my runs (usually 30 min/3 miles) on the days when the XTRAIN workouts aren't as long. We'll see how it goes. :)

I run 4 days a week along with doing the 90 day Xtrain undulating rotation. I move the workouts around a bit to incorporate my running. Normally I do upper body workouts on running days. I don't mind doing 2 workouts a day. On Sundays when the rotation shows a day off I choose to do my long runs...

Depends on what your goals are.

Maintenance: I would just swap out a cardio day with a run (maybe try to avoid doing it too close to Leg day)

race prep : I usually run at least 2 time a week if I need to bump it up and prep for a race. One short run, one long. Once again swap the long run for a cardio day and maybe add the short day to an upperbody day (biceps and triceps).

If you are trying to PR: Then swap out all of the cardio in Xtrain and run 3 times a week (keep Cardio Blast or Tabatacise...I find Plyo moves are effective in improving speed). Varies your runs!

When I'm following a rotation, I'll just insert a run on say Tuesday, and then pick up the rotation on Wednesday where I left off. It ends up being longer that a month (or 3 months) whatever the time frame but it works for me. I just don't have the time to double up on workouts and since I love to run, I refuse to give those workouts up.

This is exactly what I was thinking! I don't want to do 2 workouts a day nor do I want to workout more than an hour!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.