In The Name of The Family

Elle_p

Cathlete
I watched this documentary on TV last night.

It was about honour killings and a high profile case that happened here in Ontario where a 16 year old girl Aqsa was murdered by her father and brother for bringing shame to the family by not wearing a hijab and rebelling against her family by being "too Canadian". Less than three weeks after this murder, two sisters were murdered by their father in Texas after returning home with their mother who they had run away with to get away from the father. He took them out and shot them in the car and then left the country.

They also interviewed some young women who left home after suffering abuse for not obeying the rules of the family and feared they might end up dead if they did not leave.

One woman survived a stabbing attack by her brother and when they interviewed him in jail he kept saying that she ruined their family and his life because he is in jail because of her. No remorse. He feels he was justified in what he did and it was her fault. When she was lying there bleeding to death her own mother blamed her.

Such beautiful girls who had their lives taken from them for being too "western". It really saddens me that this goes on. I cannot begin to imagine how someone could kill another person, let alone your own daughter or sister and feel justified for the sake of honour.

Sorry this post is a downer, but it was a very powerful documentary.

I hear you. That happened here in Phoenix last year I think, the same exact situation exception this father ran his daughter over with a car b/c she was becoming too westernized. This whole situation is sad b/c the women of those countries are so repressed and they can be killed for what we think are minor.

What channel was this on?

It was on CTV which is a Canadian channel. Some of my co-workers also watched it and it lead to a very interesting discussion as it affected all of us differently.

What bothered me the most is the fact that these girls' lives were taken by the very hands that were supposed to love and protect them.

It really reminded me that we have no idea what people have to deal with at home.

Wow I've heard of this happening.
I guess I would really have to wonder why one would move to a Western country and then expect their family to not become westernized. Quite frankly if one doesn't like the customs of a country - don't move there. I surely would NOT move somewhere where I didn't like the customs.
that's crazy.

This kinda crap makes me sick to my stomach. These A-h***s need to be thrown out of this country!!!! Don't even waste our prison space on them. Not to mention the tax money we will need to pay to support them while they are locked up! UGH!

Last edited:
The only story I have heard is that a Muslim minor female became a Christian and ran away from home due to fear of being stoned or murdered by her own family. She lived in Florida but ran to Ohio.
All these stories are sick and horrible.
My thing is that if they are so worried about being "westernized", then why move here?

They move here b/c they want to "have their cake and eat it too" so to speak. Unfortunate but very true I'll bet!

Canada is known as a "cultural mosaic". Diversity is celebrated and canadians enjoy the freedom to keep their culture and celebrate their heritage in a country where they can make a better life for themselves and their families.

Of course there are some people who do not want to integrate or even learn the language and it's not that difficult to do since there are a lot of ethnic neighborhoods where you can live with other people from your home country and isolate yourself from others if you choose to. There are people living in Toronto for over 25 years who never bothered to learn english. But that's their choice, it shouldn't be because someone else prevented them from doing so.

Naturally, second generation canadians are more westernized having grown up here. Parents need to raise their children and trust that they have raised them to be able to decide for themselves how they will dress, who they will be friends with, and who they will marry.

Unfortunately, domestic violence affects all women, regardless of colour, religeon, income level, or what country we live in.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.