in abit of a pickle

melly76

Cathlete
hi,
i don't own a barbell but have both LIC and high reps.i don't have much room so i was thinking about getting a weighted body bar.I can lift 3kg dumbbells okay but wondered what weight body bar i should buy for when cathe uses her barbell.what weight does she use in these workouts.

appreciate any help,mel

Don't worry about what Cathe lifts, stick with what you can do. She is a crazy strong lady:eek:

Btw, I do LIC without a bar, I use dumb bells.

I think you might limit yourself too much w/a body bar. I agree w/either using dumbells or a barbell that can break down for storage a bit easier than some of the other ones. I have both an olympic size barbell, and a curl bar. A couple years ago, I was in a living situation where I had to workout in my tiny bedroom, so I had to pick a few things that could make an impact. I chose my exercise band, curl bar and my adjustable dumbells (where you add the plates to a small bar). They both used the same weight plates, and when finished, I could break them down and store everything under my bed. The plates I had were 5 and 10 lb increments (but you may be able to find other size plates as well, like 2.5# or 7.5#, etc - sorry, I don't know the weight in kg :( ), and the curl bar bends and has curves, so it's length was shorter (thus fitting under the bed, and not sticking out as far for when I needed to squat.) I was able to get a good weight workout in w/these.

Here's an example : http://www.walmart.com/ip/Standard-Curl-Bar-Dumbbell-Handle-Combo/10283689

Last edited:
I agree with the other posters that you're better off using dumbells than a bar that is one weight only. I frequently use dumbells instead of a barbell when I don't like using a barbell for a specific exercise or if I'm too lazy to switch weights on the bar. I know working out and being lazy don't go together. Go figure. :)

Anyway it doesn't matter what weight Cathe is lifting, you need to do what you can do.

Thanks everyone,just wondered what weight dumbells every one uses when cathe uses her barbell.Do you use one dumbell in each hand ,sitting on each shoulder when she squats?appreciate your advice.melly

Ideally and financially, you want a system you can grow with. If you stick with Body bars, you will have to buy lots of them to cover the different weights you need on different exercises and across different workouts. If you are serious about strength training and want to keep growing, next year the Body bars you buy now will be too light for you and ineffective. Buy one system and make it last so it is a good investment. I have the Troy Lite and it has been worth every penny.

I really think a barbell is an excellent investment. There are exercises that need a barbell and that just feel so much more comfortable with a barbell or different than with dumbbells.

I cannot tolerate squats with dumbbells on shoulders, I have to use a barbell. I can't do French presses with dumbbells either because my left arm fails too early, so a barbell helps me to keep going. Bicep curls with a barbell feel totally different from bicep curls with dumbbells and again, I can lift so much more this way.

Go to a sports store and get the clerks to help you try out a barbell. You might just fall in love! The Walmart system is good and inexpensive.

Clare

Well stated Clare!

My barbell/adjustable dumbbells have been with me for so long, and that's the exact reason why. I can always just add another plate and up the intensity. And I'm the same as you, there are many times Cathe and the crew are using dumbbells that I choose my barbell instead, I can just get SO much more out of the workout w/it. Like deadlifts, I'll take a barbell deadlift over a dumbbell any day! It just hits the hams and glutes so much deeper for me, since I can go so much heavier (gotta say that Hubby loves the results, too ;), he's constantly mentioning how much my hard work is paying off :p ) . Plus, it's just nice to give your shoulders/forearms a rest from always holding dumbbells (especially during leg exercises), and just focus on form.

If there is any way whatsoever, I would get a barbell. I love using my barbell and it was a great investment, having had it for 16 years now.

However, if there is no way for a barbell, I too, would avoid a body bar and just use dumbbells. I use/d/ dumbbells for squats with no problem whatsoever. I just held them on my shoulders (the FIRM way).

Good luck to you!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.