Impossibly curly hair - Help!

Michele,

All this talk about Jessicurl products has me intruigued. I'm going to give some of it a go. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Ouidad, but her deep conditioning stuff is sooooo expensive. I do love her Climate Control gel though. And I might actually have a chance to get a Ouidad cut in a few months! By Ouidad if she's available.

I LAUGH when people ask me if I have a brush. I always ask them, "Does this hair look like it sees a brush?"

What is this "sock" diffuser? You mean a real sock???

Suz

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." - Anatole France

http://www.picturetrail.com/dogs2birds

Hey Suz!

I was on the Jessicurl website last night debating about whether or not to try her stuff. Oh, and it's called "Hot Sock". You can buy them on the Jessicurl website. Here's the link:

http://www.jessicurl.com/Hot-Sock-Diffuser-pr-371.html

I WANT A FULL REPORT (with pictures) AFTER YOUR OUIDAD HAIR CUT!!

I would love to get a Ouidad cut. Is your hair layered? My hair has been layered since 1970 something. Every time I've tried to grow out the layers my hair starts to look like a pyramid--flat and straight on top and frizzed out on the bottom.

I'd really appreciate a review of the Jessicurl products if you decide to try them. I've been using a new conditioner lately by Pureology and I really like it. I was wondering if Ouidad changed the formula on her Curl Quencher Conditioner because it hasn't been giving me the best results lately. I still love the Deep Treatment, Curl Quencher Shampoo (when I use shampoo), Botanical Boost, climate control gel (for summer use), and Tress FX which I use the rest of the year. Sometimes I layer on Graham Webb's Stick Straight Gel after the Tress FX which does a great job of smoothing the frizzies.

<<This is interesting to me that straightening curly/wavy hair would be considered not embracing oneself or having low self-esteem. My feeling is that, as long as your hair is healthy, go with the style you like. :)
>>

I don't think they're saying that straightening one's curly/wavy hair is the same as having low self-esteem, but some of us (I am definitely in this group! :)) were definitely motivated to change our natural texture out of hatred for our curly hair--and feeling like we weren't pretty/neat/polished/sophisticated enough if we kept our hair curly. So it was more about the attitude than anything else, you know?

I totally agree that at the end of the day, folks should go with the style they love.

Jennifer

Suz: unfortunately, Jessicurl products are rather on the expensive side as well :(. That's my only complaint, really. That, and if I'm not careful about how much I use, my hair can be greasy the next day (although I wash my hair every day, so this isn't that big of an issue).

Jennifer

I just want to add that even if you are growing your hair out, it is VERY important to have it trimmed regularly!(Every 4 to 6 weeks) This will seriously cut back on the frizz factor by getting rid of the frazzled or split ends and allows the hair to curl better,especially if you get a layered cut.

You got some great product recommendations but the key thing with curly/wavy hair is: Moisture moisture moisture & silicone/dimethicone to seal the hair shaft.

Good luck,the battle never ends!

>You got some great product recommendations but the key thing
>with curly/wavy hair is: Moisture moisture moisture &
>silicone/dimethicone to seal the hair shaft.
>

I've always heard that curly girls should never use products containing silicone and this has proven to be true, at least for me. Whenever I've used products containing silicone my hair looks great initially, but inevitably becomes very dry and fly away. I avoid silicones like the plague!

>So I have lots of hair again (yeah!) but unfortunately it's
>unruly and impossibly curly (sigh).
>
>My original hair was wavy.
>
>Thanks!
>
>Susan L.G.
>

Hi Susan,
I'm out of the loop--but I'm assuming from the above snip that you had chemo. If that's true, I just wanted to mention that my mom's hair grew back in curly after chemo, but grew out to her original straight hair after several months. I'm not sure of the time... If all the great suggestions you got don't end up working for you, you might not have to deal with the curls forever!

Wendy

PS I loved her hair curly and super short! I bet you're going to look great :)

I think the use of silicones depends on whether your hair can tolerate them--definitely for me and many others, silicone is the kiss of death :(. My hair turns very rough and dull over time from the build-up.

That said, I have a friend who, by naturallycurly.com standards, uses all the "wrong" products (i.e. silicones, alcohol, etc.), and yet she has GORGEOUS, healthy, shiny hair.

I guess we all just need to experiment with what works best for our individual head of hair. Unfortunately that can get very expensive, as I've learned from experience ;).

Jennifer

Wendy -

Thanks for the encouragement!

My hair was always on the curly/wavy side, even before chemo. Plus, after cruising around on the naturallycurly.com and jessicurls.com websites, I'm feeling a lot better about my hair.

I just keep telling myself, "I DO NOT look like Napolean Dynamite, I DO NOT look like Napolean Dynamite, I DO NOT look like Napolean Dynamite..." :p

So, I have these curly hair products and I'm actually having a lot of fun with them!

-Susan G.

Michele - Hehehe - I thought you really used a sock! I thought that was a great idea but a little hard for the air to get through. :p I know what you mean about Ouidad's Curl Quencher Conditioner. I've experienced the same thing lately which was another reason I thought I may be willing to switch. I also use the same other products of hers that you mentioned and still love them all so will probably keep using them. And of course I will give a FULL report with pictures if I do get a cut from her or from her salon. :) My hair is layered (there's a pic on my picture trail in Dogs, Hair, Etc. - it kind of looks like that more or less). Mine also gets flat on top when I don't layer it. It does that even when it's really short. I'm going to order some Jessicurl and will let you know what I think.

Jennifer - Yeah, I noticed that Jessicurl is only slightly less expensive than Ouidad EXCEPT for the deep conditioner which is $30 for FOUR OZ!!!! Have you tried the Confident Coils Styling Solution? I love Ouidad's Climate Control Gel on humid/rainy days. It really works. This one says it works too but I don't know where to read reviews??? It's also a LOT less expensive than Climate Control.

I've also heard the no silicone rule for curly hair and it holds true for me also. Makes my hair really unhappy in the long run.

Susan - Napolean Dynamite - Hahahahahaha!!! You're so funny. I'm pretty sure you do NOT look like Napolean Dynamite.

Off to spend money on Jessicurl. This forum is EXPENSIVE! :)

Suz

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." - Anatole France

http://www.picturetrail.com/dogs2birds

> Have you tried the Confident
>Coils Styling Solution?

Yes and I love it :). I tried Ouidad's Climate Control Gel a long time ago and unfortunately, I didn't get good results from it :(. It wasn't enough hold and I ended up getting really fuzzy, big hair.

I use her Hair Cleansing Cream, Too Shea! Conditioner, Rockin' Ringlets, and Confident Coils. I also use the weekly deep conditioner and the Inspiraling Spray (the latter because it came with my order, but I don't use it that much, only when I need a pick-me-up later in the day, but I usually don't).

I pretty much follow her instructions--with some slight modifications--and get great results! I really had to find the right technique and products to work for me, and it looks like I've finally found the "magic formula," so I'm scared to change anything LOL.

Here's what I do:

(1) I wash my hair with the Hair Cleansing Cream every day (I know the Curly Girls book says not to shampoo, or if you do, not to do it that often, but I'm just grossed out by that LOL).

(2) Afterwards, I apply the Too Shea! Conditioner, then I rinse after a few minutes.

(3) While my hair is soaking wet, I just sort of shake my hair from side to side, and gently upside-down (gently being the key word, otherwise, I'll drip all over the floor!), then I take about a dime-size of Rockin' Ringlets (my hair is shoulder length, and if I use more, my hair gets greasy) and work that into my hair with my fingers. First I smooth it over, then I run it through my hair, so it's well-distributed. My hair's totally wet at this point, so it's very slippery. That's the texture I'm looking for.

(4) I take another dime-size squirt of Rockin' Ringlets and I scrunch it into my hair--again, gently, otherwise I get frizz.

(5) Then I take a microfiber towel (if you don't have one of these, I highly recommend it--it really does work to prevent frizz!!) and I use that to scrunch my hair. That helps to absorb all the extra water.

(6) Next I srunch in a dime-size of the Confident Coils (as with Rockin' Ringlets, when I use more than a dime-size, it turns my hair greasy).

(7) After that, I "plop" my hair, a technique I learned on naturallycurly.com. Basically what that means is that you have your microfiber towel laid out on a flat surface, and, with your head tilted over, gently "plop" your hair into the middle of the towel, fold the top of the towel over the back of your head, then twist the sides and tie them at the back. There's a video of how to do this on jessicurl.com (she calls it "plunking" instead of "plopping"). I probably described it horribly, but it's worth learning the technique because it's great at really forming those curls AND soaking up excess water so that your hair is 50% dry afterwards!

(8) I leave the towel on for about 15-20 minutes, depending on how much time I have to get ready in the morning (sometimes I take it off after 10 minutes, if I'm really in a rush), then I remove the towel and shake out my hair. 9 times out of 10, I'll walk out the door like this--my hair is 50% dry at this point and the curls are so beautifully formed that I'm scared to touch them and ruin them LOL. But occasionally I want to finish drying them so I don't walk outside with wet hair, so I diffuse it at low heat with one of those bowl diffusers. I tend to get frizz when I diffuse--not a lot, but it's not as frizz-free as when I air-dry--so I try to avoid doing this if at all possible (I probably still haven't perfected this technique, because others swear by it and get great results; also, I get more volume when I diffuse, so if only I could learn to do it without getting frizz, I'd do it more often). No matter which way I dry my hair, I just make sure not to touch it if at all possible. That's not easy for me, but I force myself to do it, otherwise, you guessed it--frizz-o-rama!

That turned out longer than I meant it to be, but I hope it helps :).

Jennifer

I had my hair cut at Oiudad's salon when I first moved to north Jersey & let me tell you IT WAS ONE OF THE WORST CUTS I EVER HAD!!!!!!! It took TWO HOURS (ridiculous IMO when styling curly hair takes less than 5 minutes w/a diffuser). I was in the chair while her stylist basically did my hair one-inch section by section & it took forever. It was a cold, rainy day & by the time I got back to the train station my hair was a mess.

Add that to the fact that the cut cost $125 plus the $25 tip, she took no length off my hair & left the split ends, & there was no way in he!! I was gonna style my hair the way she did every day--it was a total waste of money & time.

That said, I really do like her products. Just not her haircuts. :p

ETA: I just realized that you've been through chemo - I read your post too quickly the first time! Sorry about that. Disregard my first paragraph :) Congrats on finishing your treatments!

I would recommend growing you hair out. I have just come to the realization that my hair cannot be shorter than shoulder length, it just takes on a life of it's own and becomes very "Diana Ross-like". Curly hair needs that extra weight to form a nice curl. I also avoid anti-frizz products like the plague, they make my hair super frizzy. The best advice I've ever recieved about curly hair is touch it as little as possible and never use heat - it opens the hair shaft making it frizzy - use the cold function on your dryer if you need to get some excess water out. I never use a dryer on my hair, I always air dry - and yes, sometimes that means I go to work w/ slightly wet hair, oh well. Since we're sharing our hair rituals...

I brush my hair out before I get into the shower, shampoo (I use pantene smooth and sleek - works well for me), condition with Paul Mitchell "the detangler" or Abba moisture scentsation, and I comb it through with a wide tooth comb and rinse it out as the last step of my shower. Then I turn the water to COLD and rinse it again - this seals the hair shaft and wakes me up :)

I wrap it in a towel, put on face & body lotion, then unwrap my hair and comb it with my fingers. I smooth in my products, Abba Botz and Abba Gel Lotion (both are very smooth, not sticky, and keep the curl under control). I apply product very liberally - I can tell immediately if I've missed a spot, it will start to frizz right away. Then I let it air dry and make sure not to touch it again.

Yikes! I never heard that about silicones and so many curly hair products have that ingredient in it! Perhaps that effect is not as evident under all the leave in moisturer, mousse & gel that I use!

All these product recommendations are going to drain my pockets...always looking for the "holy grail" of curly hair products!

If you're having the super curly problem as a result of chemo drugs, I can assure you, with time, your hair will move back toward it's previous consistency. When my hair grew back, it was super thick and tight curly like poodle fur.

I agree trying to straighten it is a bad idea. Apply curl activator while damp to accentuate the curl and control the frizz, scrunch and let it do it's thing. My hair was cut in a bob, about to the top of my shoulders. I got tired of messing with it and had it cut in the Halle Berry super short style. I couldn't believe the compliments I got. IMO, shorter is better while you're waiting for some of the post-chemo curl to relax. And there's almost no styling time involved.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.