Important question for experienced Cathletes and Roadtrippers

kate120

Hi everyone,

About 6 years ago I worked out to Cathe dvds about 6 times a week and lost 30 pounds. I was in really good shape and loved her workouts. However, I have slipped back into old habits and due to living in an apt. can't work out at home without disturbing the people below me. I still exercise a few times a week, spinning and some running, but have gained significant weight back (more than before I started Cathe) and am not in the shape I once was. I signed up for the Orlando roadtrip because I live nearby and I love Cathe, but I am scared that I may not be in good enough shape to do this intense weekend. Having said all this, my question to you all is whether people of varying fitness levels attend these road trips and does Cathe show modifications in class or allow people to modify as they need? For instance, if Cathe is using 10 or 15 pound weights in a routine, can I do 5lbs or do they expect everyone to be at at a same/certain level?

Any experiences or advice is appreciated! Thanks!

Hi Kate,

I'm sure you will get other replies to your question before the RT this week but I wanted to ease your mind as quickly as possible. Do not worry for another second!!!! You will see all levels of Cathletes at the RT and the minute we do the first workout, you will breathe a sigh of relief. I have been at previous trips where people had never even done a step workout before and they still got out there and did what they could and maybe even just stepped up and off the step the entire class and absolutely no one noticed or cared.

We are all there for one reason and it's to work out with our favorite instructor and Cathe will put you at ease the minute you meet her. They normally only have light weights on these trips and sometimes they bring resistance bands only so you don't have to worry about how much weight you can lift either.

So please, just plan to live in the moment and have the time of your life! I will never forget my first RT because I truly believe it was one of the best weekends of my life and every one that I have been on since has only gotten better.

I'll look for you because we'll have name tags on the entire weekend. Be prepared to make some lifetime friends this weekend because I have at every trip I've been on.

Bev

Another cathlete buddy here to ease your mind :) it doesn't matter where you are in your fitness journey... We welcome you with open arms and happy hearts! You will have the time of your life and make sure to find me... I'm saving you a cathlete hug!!

Kate,

Another confirmation that you have nothing to worry about. Just do what you are comfortable with. Most of the RTs use very light weights or bands for the weight workouts. Paper plates are usually used for the lower body workout. So just go as deep in your slides as you are comfortable. No one is going to notice. Take a break if needed. I went to the Daytona Road trip 3 weeks after having a bout of Shingles. I had very little energy and hadn't workout for weeks, but there was no way I was going to miss it. I just did what I could. I just picked found a place on the side so I could duck out of the way and take a few pictures while I caught my breath or grab an extra drink of water. The workouts are only a part of the experience. Meeting Cathe and hanging out with some of the most wonderful people in the world (AKA Cathletes) is what completes the road trip. Plus you are getting to do this at Disney World so that is just icing on the cake. Have fun and enjoy. I wish I was going to this one, but it just wasn't in the cards for me.

Jean

Hi Kate,

I agree with all the wise ladies above; every workout is what YOU make of it. If you have more to give---give more! If you are spent, "take it down" a bit, or even take a breather. Everyone at the RT is at a different level.....just BE THERE!!!!

You are going to have the time of your life! Can't wait to meet you!

Laura

Hi Kate!
Don't worry you will be fine! 4 years ago I got pregnant and gained 85 pounds. Before that i was is great shape(I "found" Cathe in the early 90's) My son is 4 and I am still struggling to lose the weight. I have been on 4 roadtrips and I am by no means in "great shape". I've even fallin off my step and broken my ankle, humiliating but still fun :) Roadtrips are so fun and you will meet so many great people! Just go at your own pace. Cathe understands that there are varying fitness levels. The workouts are hard but doable.
Can't wait to meet you!
Tracy

Last edited:
wow

I am really touched by all the support and positivity from everyone's responses. Thank you all. I wasn't really all that excited about the trip because I am attending by myself and I am not in great shape, but I thought it would be good for me. Now I can't wait. It seems like it is going to be an overall positive and uplifting experience, not just a weekend of working out!

I really do hope I get to meet all of you.

Thanks again for the warm and helpful responses!

Kate :D

Yes, It is a very uplifting experience. I always leave feeling so pumped up and
rejuvenated. Watch out though, Road Trips are addictive. :)

Jean

They are super addictive!!! I'm sad I missed glassboro last year(my sister got married in July) and this year too:-(
But yippeee! Disney!!!!
Tracy

I am really touched by all the support and positivity from everyone's responses. Thank you all. I wasn't really all that excited about the trip because I am attending by myself and I am not in great shape, but I thought it would be good for me. Now I can't wait. It seems like it is going to be an overall positive and uplifting experience, not just a weekend of working out!

I really do hope I get to meet all of you.

Thanks again for the warm and helpful responses!

Kate :D

You will absolutely meet all of us! Just try to make the rounds, sit with different groups at meals... don't be shy! :D There are alot of us that go to the RTs alone (including myself) and i'll tell you first hand that you are only alone until you walk into registration! from there on in you're among friends.

p.s. there is NOTHING better than a Cathe Roadtrip to pull you out of any type of fitness rut. You will definetely leave after the trip with a few special things: 1) an even greater respect and love for Cathe for everything she does and for the wonderful person she is 2) a bunch of new Cathlete buddies 3) a feeling of empowerment that will help lift your fitness goals to a new level 4) a very sore body! haha!

See you soon Kate :p

This RT is my first one, too, and I'm also going by myself. I was also concerned about whether I can keep up with everyone else. However, the ladies here have made me feel at home already, so I'm sure we will have a blast when we do arrive.

You will absolutely meet all of us! Just try to make the rounds, sit with different groups at meals... don't be shy! :D There are alot of us that go to the RTs alone (including myself) and i'll tell you first hand that you are only alone until you walk into registration! from there on in you're among friends.

p.s. there is NOTHING better than a Cathe Roadtrip to pull you out of any type of fitness rut. You will definetely leave after the trip with a few special things: 1) an even greater respect and love for Cathe for everything she does and for the wonderful person she is 2) a bunch of new Cathlete buddies 3) a feeling of empowerment that will help lift your fitness goals to a new level 4) a very sore body! haha!

See you soon Kate :p

I'm headed out to Orlando tonight. Thanks again for all the great responses! Can't wait to meet all the experienced road trippers and newbies alike!

I've been living vicariously through the postings about the Disney road trip. It sounds as though it was a lot of fun. It's particularly heartening to read the encouraging postings in response to Kate's concerns because attending alone and with physical limitations could be daunting. The warmth and enthusiasm of other participants are very helpful to those of us sitting on the fence about whether to attend future road trips.

Consider this a gentle, happy nudge onto the YES side of that fence! If you have the opportunity to come to a roadtrip take it! It is truly an experience of a lifetime! You won't regret even one second ;)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.