IMAX 2 Did All The Correct Steps on #9

Good work!
I'm, over the summer, gonna get back into step. I use to LOVE it, but after a few years of not doing it, I attempted one of Cathe's easier steps workouts, and quit after about 10 min of getting lost.
One goal for me this summer is to do one of her step workouts mostly getting it right.

Congrats! I’ve found that because some Step workouts take both physical & mental concentration that if i do the second-half first (after the warm-up) and then do the 1st half, that i can learn the the second half more easily since I'm not physically & mentally as tired. Just another way for me to learn combos, & it keeps a workout fresh.

Way to go - that segment is tricky for me, too, even after having that workout for a good 15 years or so. I always get what side of the step I'm supposed to be on mixed up with all those T-steps and ricochets.

I haven’t done Imax2 or 3 in years and I remember how much I had to practice each combo just so I could get a good workout without tripping over my feet. I have imax4 and I tried to practice some of the combos and I was lost from the start. I also had the same problem with the bonus step cardio on the cardio party dvd.

Cathe is often late on cueing which is why it is a little trickier. I am not new to step choreography and just got Low Impact Challenge. The choreography is fun and not that complex, but her cueing is late which makes it more difficult to learn. She tends to cue on or after the move, instead of before.

I rewind a lot! And I use the first viewing of the new step workout as a rehearsal. I know it’s not going to be a good workout because I’m learning the steps.

But if you’ve been stepping with Cathe for a long time, you know pretty much all the basic moves she’s going to throw at you. They’re just going to be mashed up in a different way. IMAX 4, for example, intentionally has a lot of callbacks to IMAX, IMAX 2, and IMAX 3. It’s the easiest of the IMAX programs — not “easy”, just the easiest.

I actually do better not learning the teaching part (where she slows down the steps and explains) but skip instead to the finished product. I kinda work backwards. I know all the routines are built on an 8-count, and I know the Cathe basics. So if I have the finished product, I can usually take it apart faster mentally than if I run it from the beginning. Weird, I know.

But once I know it, I know it. I can pick up Rhythmic Step right now (my favorite step video ever) and do it just fine even though it hasn’t been in my rotation for a few years.

Congratulations on the achievement! It’s so gratifying to finally get it right.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.