I'm pregnant

mlank64

I just found out this past monday i'm 4 weeks pregnant. I've been trying to get pregnant since last August. My husband and I are very excited. I don't have any morning sickness yet, but I do feel very bloated and my size 8 jeans feel tight. Is it possible to gain weight this soon. I was hoping that I won't gain too much, I want to stick to 25-30lb weight gain. The first week of January I weighed 142lbs. I had maintained my weight at 135lbs for over a year. Well, I have started eating 5 small meals a day, drinking alot of water and maintaining my running 6 days a week. Hope this keeps any maternal fat at a reasonalbe pace. I also started yoga about 4 months ago. Anyways, I'm going to concentrate on enjoying my pregnancy, a block out all the negative comments that friends and family have stated about me blowing up like a balloon. Sometimes I think people want me to get fat because they resent the fact I lost alot a weight more than 1 year ago. But I'm determined to eat healthy and exercise throughout my pregnancy. Good luck to all. M

Congratulations!

That is FANTASTIC news!!!!!! About those insensitive so-and-sos who have been making comments about your "blowing up:" FORGET THEM! This is a wonderful and exciting time in your life. How dare they try to drag you down? Remember that 25 - 35 pounds is the healthy AVERAGE weight gain for pregnancy. This is a time to be concerned about that sweet little one you're growing, not the scale. I'm a person who believes that as long as we're exercising and eating a reasonably healthy diet, our bodies know exactly what to do in terms of weight gain. Despite that belief, I admit that I freaked out one month because I had gained 8 lbs ( in 4 weeks ), and I had been "good." This past checkup, after all the Christmas goodies and most definitely not eating or exercising in the way I considered "good," I only gained 2 lbs ( and that was over 5 weeks ). Our bodies know what to do. And if you gain more than the average, no big deal. You lost it before, you can do it again. The important thing is that you get to the end with a healthy baby.

So enjoy your pregnancy and be PROUD of your expanding belly!! That's LIFE in there! That's YOUR body doing what only YOU can do for that precious new little one who is changing your life forever for the better! You are amazing!! Congratulations again!!

Erin and Rebecca ( due 3/8/03 )

Hello,

I just wanted to welcome you to our "forum family" and also to tell you as others have done to ignore those hurtful comments. Your body is performing a miracle right now. Enjoy it. Take care.

Sincerely,

Sheila

Sheila Watkins, MLSci.
Founder and National Program Director
Healthy Moms(R) Fitness

Hi M! This is wonderful news. Congratulations! I agree, block out the negative. Pregnancy is such a positive time in your life. Just wait and see how you begin to glow :)!

Congratulations M!
Enjoy your pregnancy and ignore any and all negative comments. You sound like you're very aware of your health and that of your baby. That's what is important.
Enjoy!
Sandi
(39 weeks & counting :))

Hi M!
Congratulations and welcome to this forum! You will find a wealth of information and support here. Like others have said, don't pay attention to the negative comments from others about gaining weight. I think we are all afraid of gaining a lot of weight but it doesn't have to be that way. I think some of my friends were secretly hoping I would get huge just because they did. I kept my weight gain to 25# so far ( I will be having a scheduled C-section in about 2 weeks because of breech baby) and they are all amazed. I am one of those who doesn't look pregnant from the back until I turn around and even then, I am pretty small. Just eat healthy and if you gain the weight, so what. It is for the good of the baby and a healthy baby in the end is what counts. You have lost the weight before, you can do it again and throw it in everyone's face once more! Good luck and enjoy the ride!

First of all ~~ CONGRATULATIONS!! :) What an exciting time for you!

What you are experiencing in the way of bloating is totally normal -- FOR YOU! I gained more weight at the beginning with both of my pregnancies and tapered off by the 2nd trimester... and this all happened without me doing anything different with my diet or exercise... then both times, I put on a bunch right at the end, which in retrospect, I think was mostly water (but at the time I was not happy about it... we women are soooo hard on ourselves!) I guess it's just what my body does when I'm pregnant. Each pregnancy is different, and I believe that you should just do your best (eat well and exercise) and not focus on things that are not entirely in your control like maternal fat (expect your body composition to change a little, but don't worry, you'll get your body back!)and how you carry your baby (big or small... you get comments no matter what!). Even weight gain is to some degree a very individual thing. I exercised through two pregnancies, gained 38 & 43 lbs. (I'm 5'10"), and still took all of the pregnancy weight off in 3-4 months both times. The first time I was back to excercising in about 4 days... the 2nd time I had a c-section and couldn't really start back for about 5-6 weeks... but both times I had maintained my muscle mass, and between exercise and nursing, the weight really flew off. Remember that Mother Nature intends for you to put on little bit of body fat in order for you to grow and later nurse that incredible life growing inside of you.

This is a great time to exercise to feel great, stay strong, and know that you are doing the best thing for you and your baby!! Sounds like you are off to a great start!
Susan Hyde
Healthy Moms(R)Certified Perinatal Fitness Instructor and Contributor to Pregnancy Magazine

p.s. - make sure that you are drinking lots of water as you exercise -- staying hydrated is important when you are pregnant... especially in the beginning weeks!

Thanks to all for the encouraging words. It made me feel so much better when I read all the comments, and I really needed the affirmation from all of you. This is such a great website with alot of information and support that I would not be able to get otherwise. I'm just going to let nature take its course, and eat well, drink lots water, and exercise. I'm not going to obsess about my weight. All that matters now is that I have a healthy baby. I'm really going to enjoy this time of my life, it is the first time I've been pregnant and it's so exciting. GOD Bless ALL of you. M

Congratulations!

Hi M!! Congratulations on your new status and welcome to the forum! Please keep us posted as to your progress!

jeni

RE: Congratulations!

Congratulations!!! I am new here but I love this forum :) I have learned so much already and everyone here is really supportive.

RE: Congratulations!

Congrats! If I listened to all the negative comments during my 3 pregnancies it would have made my head spin. Just ignore them and focus on the positive. Pregnancy is such a miricle and enjoy this special time.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.