If you workout in your living/family room- where r your weights?

lovebeingmom

Cathlete
I workout in our living room. I have my weights outisde in our bench outside in the garage.

do you guys just lug things back and forth to different rooms each time you lift?

trying to decide if I should do STS with just dumbbells(LESS STUFF) or is it better to lug the barbells and all the weights back and forth each time i lift plus the benches and stuff. i can move things around and make myself a corner but its not so "pretty"

I understand your pain!

I work out in my living room. I have a room right across from it where I keep my stuff. It's our "piano" room. I lug my step (which doubles as my high step and weight bench), my dumbbells ( have a few hex DBs and a set that uses 1" diameter plates), barbell, mat, stability ball - well, you get the picture, back and forth. I have it down to a science now that I know what I need for each workout. Somedays, I don't need the barbell (leg days), so that makes less stuff to move around.

I couldn't imagine having to move it all from the outside! I don't think I'd workout at all if I had to do that! Using my step as my weight bench is much better than moving an actual weight bench (I'm assuming that's what you have?) in and out! They're so heavy! Our house is small so I don't have to move it very far, which also helps.

I know it's not pretty to keep it on the floor in the next room, but most of it is behind the piano where it can't be seen. We have a lot of stuff, too, so our house is pretty cluttered! It really makes no difference where I keep my workout gear! LOL!

I always have to move the couch over, too! I've got the whole process down to about 5 minutes set up/tear down time! Usually, towards the end of my STS workouts, I use my 60 second rest to start moving things back to their storage area!

HTH!

I dont move my weight bench. thats just where the barbell and weights are. I move my step back and forth and high step when i need it which like you i use for lifting. I have always just used dumbbells for my Cathe workouts but figure for STS i'm going to have to start lugging the barbbell and the weights i need for that workout(once i figure that all out). i could keep the dumbbells near my workout are but i dont have space for the barbell and weights and step so those i have to lug back and forth

Although I work out in our living/family room, we have a small closet right there which is where I store all my stuff

My dumbbells are on a stand next to the tv, next to them are my barbell plates stacked on top of one another on the floor and the bar is in the corner against the wall. I keep my step, risers and tower in the bedroom and carry them back and forth. I have a one bedroom apartment-I don't have any other options.

Oh! Sorry! My misunderstanding! :eek: I thought that would be kind of much!

Well, it would make it easier, the less you have to lug around! I find the barbell is best for the deadlifts and rows. I'm getting to the point where I'm going to have to buy more plates! I can't believe how quickly my strength is improving! I wish I had the weighted vest for leg work! I can't seem to handle enough weight on my dumbbells for legs.

I hope you can find a workable solution! It's such a pain not to have a dedicated workout space, but we make do however we can, right? :)

I dont move my weight bench. thats just where the barbell and weights are. I move my step back and forth and high step when i need it which like you i use for lifting. I have always just used dumbbells for my Cathe workouts but figure for STS i'm going to have to start lugging the barbbell and the weights i need for that workout(once i figure that all out). i could keep the dumbbells near my workout are but i dont have space for the barbell and weights and step so those i have to lug back and forth

I have a one bedroom condo and my stuff is out for display. I got powerblocks that go from 5 - 50....and a 12 pound set of dumb bells. I have my step topper and my cathe PT in the corner with my mats. My bar bell is in front of the slidder.

I have a box with bands, tubing, and gloves. My poor plates are usually stacked up nicely, but not today or this week.

Most of my friends no I workout, so I don't even bother hiding stuff away anymore...unless they bring kids.

I'd like to get a plate holder soon. That would help with the clutter...I think.

I have bowflex select techs and they sit on their stand next to one sofa, and the barbell sit on the push pull tower in front of the other sofa. I keep the step, the high step and all of the risers in another room. I also have the smaller dumbbells sitting below the select techs and under neath the sofa. I keep the bands, paper plates on the shelf in the back of the room. I live by myself so I please myself. :)

I want it to be as easy as possible for me to work out. And having all of my equipment out in the same room that I workout in really makes it easy. But I know that most people don't have the same living situation that I have.

I have all my weights, step, barbell, dumbbells, EVERYTHING in the spare bedroom down the hall. So, yep! I lug it all out and back after I am done. I always look at the "equipment needed" and my weights card so I know exactly what I need. I hate forgetting something but it happens, its no big deal. I try my best being prepared. I don't really mind lugging it back and forth. Maybe one day I'll convert my finished basement into a home gym. For now, this works for me.

~Renee

Something that worked well for me in the past was to get a really large basket and pile all of the dumb-bells and plates etc. in it. Then I tossed a couple of decorative pillows on top. People always thought it was a great way to store extra pillows. No one ever guessed that there was a 100+ pounds of weights in it. And I stored the bars under the sofa. The step bench and risers had to go in the hall closet.

Debbie Russo

I have 98 % of my equipment in the family room. It's where my TV and workout DVD's are, too. The room is small, about 17' X 11'. I use part of my warm up moving weights to "convenient" spots, etc. I USED to feel "bad" about all the stuff in that room, but one time when my sister was here I looked at her and said "It's what I do." That sort of settled it for me. I want to always be able to say "it's what I do" and BE DOING IT. I'm not strong, nor as fit as I'd like to be, but everyday, with equipment and Cathe right there before me, I do my best. I know me, if the equipment were out of sight--I wouldn't do it.

I took the dining room. I folded down the wings of the table and shoved it against the wall. It holds my 10" DVD player and workout sheets when I do STS. All of the various weights and my step bench are along the other two walls. If I need the table, I stack the weights in less space and pull it out. Lately, it's just stayed folded.

For cardio, the little DVD player sits on two boxy ottomans stacked on the couch at the center point of the living room.

When I actually owned a TV (way back when), it was always a huge issue to arrange things so that I could use it for cardio workouts - high enough, centered on a wall in a room with lots of space, yadda yadda. Even if I were to get another one, I think I'd still drag the portable around for workouts. It's so much easier to carry the video to wherever I'm working out - living room for cardio, dining room for weights, sewing room for treadmill.

It's so nice to know there are this many of us who have dual (multi) use rooms for our workouts! After the posts on all the new dedicated workout rooms everyone was showing off (yes, I am jealous! ;)), I was started to feel a bit left out! :(

I'm glad to be in such good company! :D

TRISH- thats how i felt. Left out. I want a room exclusive to working out. just mine but thats not going to happen. its okay. our living room is a playroom/workout room now. the kids know not to touch the dumbbells and I let them climb on my step for compromise lol

Plus like someone said: i am finding that i like having them out and around. makes me realize how important "I" am and that YES i workout and soon i'm going to look like i do too :)

I am part of this club as well :p I have the SelecTech weights up against my entertainment center, barbell and weights stacked underneath my futon, blowflex bench and pull-up bar up against the windows, stability ball semi behind entertainment center, and i am still trying to determine where I will keep my step and hight step, but I'll make it work. It used to be embarrassing at first, but I feel like the rest of you now, I am proud of what I do and the things I have accomplished working out, and best of all, it shows my kids, no excuses, if you want to do something, make it happen! :D

I use my livingroom to workout and keep most of my stuff in the coat closet. But my step, pullup bar and stability bar are in various corners of the room. So far no one has even commented on it except to ask what workouts I do.

I workout in our family room area and all my equipment is in there. I have the push/pull tower, a step, 2 sets of adjustable weights, bands, tubing, a step, 2 stability balls, barbell w/weight stacker and a kettle ball!!!! It is just a lot easier for me to have it all right there even though is doesn't look pretty. I have most of it in a corner. If we were to have a party or something I would put it in our bedroom and close the door!!! But everyone knows my husband and I workout, so it works for now.
mhunt

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.