iClimb/Cardio Coach Recommendations Please

stepitup

Cathlete
Good Morning,

I just bought an elliptical machine yesterday and want to download some workouts to use with it. I looked at the list of iClimb workouts and can't decide on one. I did the 12 minute sample wo and found it to be a good challenge. I would love to know which are your favorites and what about it you like.

Thanks!

I hava a lot of the iclimb...sets 1,9,12,21 are among the ones I use often. I pretty much just look at their offerings, look at how much time I want to spend and download :eek:. I stay away from the circuit cuz I like to do my weight work at home.

A lot of people like cardio coach and I´m sure they are great, I like the price of itrain;)

Thanks lala1! I'll check yours out and just try a couple. I'm with you, the price of iTrain looks good to me, too :)

I have an elliptical, too, and I prefer the Cardio Coach workouts.

I have 4 iClimb workouts; 1, 6, 14, and 17. They're okay but IMO they don't compare to Cardio Coach. Yes, they are cheaper, and they should be because not as much goes into them. I will try my best to compare and contrast them for you.

Music:
iTrain - I don't know the source of their music, and I couldn't find anything about it on the website. It's not terribly memorable.

Cardio Coach - each workout is scored by Todd Washburn with original music, in much the same way a movie is scored. It enhances the workouts and is perfectly suited to them.

Coaching:
iTrain - Keith and Buddy (iClimb and iCycle workouts) know their stuff and you will get a good workout if you are motivated to do so. My problem, and this is just my opinion, is that I don't find them terribly motivating. They kind of bore me, and I find myself just wanting the workout to be over.

Cardio Coach - The time absolutely flies by during a CC workout. Sean O'Malley is known for his motivational skills -- it's his trademark. He really helps you to focus mentally on the task at hand, so much so that you kind of don't realize he's trying to kill you. :p

Think of it like this -- Cardio Coach is to mp3 workouts what Cathe is to DVD workouts. They're both picky and tend to the smallest of details. They're trend setters in their particular areas of expertise, and everyone else is trying to be like them. ;)

Last edited:
Another vote for Cardio Coach here! I am a cyclist and in the off season, know I should be spinning on the bike (with a trainer attached to the rear hub), at least to keep my butt toughened up, if nothing else. 15 minutes on that thing without Cardio Coach is pure torture. With Cardio Coach, I have a feeling of accomplishment and strength throughout the entire workout. I usually never have gotten a "high" after any kind of exercise, but after completing a Cardio Coach workout, it's there. I attend a weekly spin session with 5 or 6 other cyclists who are working out to Spinervals DVD's. I just put in my earbuds and workout to Coach Sean from Cardio Coach instead and enjoy the workout much more than the Spinervals (though they are great workouts too, just not as motivating for me).

I have all of the Cardio Coach workouts and endorse each one of them. My first one was CC#2. Give one a try, I think you'll be hooked.

Jeanette

Cardio Coach!

Its unbelievable how fast the workout feels, and everytime I do one, I love them more! I've told a couple of my die-hard cyclist friends about this treasure for late winter in-door riding, and have never heard anything but, I need more!

OMG I almost forgot to mention one of the most important things:

CUSTOMER SERVICE

Sean O'Malley IS the customer service rep for Cardio Coach. He answers all of his own email and he's SO nice!!! He gets back to you fairly promptly, too. ;)

I don't know anything about Cardio Coach - can someone run me through the basics of the program? Can I use it for walking, running and dancing?

Cardio Coach!

I vote for cardio coach!
I agree with everything Michele said about CC and the time flying by.

I bought some CC CD's for my hairdresser for Christmas. The next time I saw her she raved about how much she loved them. She too couldn't believe how the time flew by while doing them. :)

I don't know anything about Cardio Coach - can someone run me through the basics of the program? Can I use it for walking, running and dancing?

I don't know about dancing, but any cardio activity or cardio machine that allows you to increase your heart rate. For instance, while on the bike, when he says to sprint or hill climb, I raise my heart rate by putting my bike in a harder gear or spinning faster. If you were on a treadmill, you would increase the pace of the treadmill or increase the incline. Whatever it takes to increase your heartrate to the level Sean specifies.

I don't know about dancing, but any cardio activity or cardio machine that allows you to increase your heart rate. For instance, while on the bike, when he says to sprint or hill climb, I raise my heart rate by putting my bike in a harder gear or spinning faster. If you were on a treadmill, you would increase the pace of the treadmill or increase the incline. Whatever it takes to increase your heartrate to the level Sean specifies.

So, given that I walk on the street and not on a treadmill, I could just walk faster, theoretically?

So, given that I walk on the street and not on a treadmill, I could just walk faster, theoretically?

Yes! I know several people who use CC for running/walking outside and that is what they do. Any of them will work, but Volumes 5 and 7 are especially suited for outdoor running. One of my friends LOVES Volume 4 and she always uses it outside. Many of the hill challenges are paced so that you could use them for a sprint if you had to. Hopefully someone who uses CC outside will see this thread and comment.

As for dancing, I've been known to dance right on my elliptical to Volume 7! :eek: :D

I'm bumping this back up to let you know that the Cardio Coach workouts are on sale!!!

You get 50% off when you purchase 4 or more downloads. If you really want to give CC a try now's the time and I can't recommend them highly enough. ;) :D

Allrighty girls, here's what I bought....

Cardio Coach 2, 3, 7, 8 but got an email from Sean (in response to an earlier email asking for his recommendation) recommending CC 4, 5, 7, 8 so I'm swapping out #2 for #5. For the most part, I will use them primarily on an elliptical so I hope they will be well suited.

I also purchased the annual iTrain program. It was hard to pass up with the 30% discount being offered. So, I should have a good variety of wo. I'll let you guys know which one I like the best.

Thanks again for all the input!

You will LOVE them on your elliptical!!! And I agree with Sean's recommendations. Volumes 4 through 7 are my most frequently used workouts. Volume 8 is really tough!! It's just one big freaking hill and when you finish that workout you will KNOW you are fit!!! :eek: Volume 8 was MADE for the elliptical -- oh man, you're gonna love it!! ;) :D

BTW, the elliptical is my cardio machine of choice so I speak from experience. ;)

You will LOVE them on your elliptical!!! And I agree with Sean's recommendations. Volumes 4 through 7 are my most frequently used workouts. Volume 8 is really tough!! It's just one big freaking hill and when you finish that workout you will KNOW you are fit!!! :eek: Volume 8 was MADE for the elliptical -- oh man, you're gonna love it!! ;) :D

BTW, the elliptical is my cardio machine of choice so I speak from experience. ;)
YAY!! I'm so excited!! I think I will have to put CC 8 on the back burner for a while. I am not a regular on an elliptical so I don't want to over do it.

So, now that I did such a good job making a decision between CC and iClimb:rolleyes:, I have to decide what the heck I am going to do in the morning:eek:!!

Trish, I just wanted to mention something that I think will really help you decipher the levels and zones used in the CC workouts. It's the Quick Start Guide and it does a very good job of explaining Sean's method. Here's the link: http://www.cardiocoach.com/Quickstart.php

ETA that yes, Volume 8 is really hard, but it's also really fun. The great thing about Cardio Coach is that you work at your own level, which also makes it easier to see your improvements.

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.