I want to buy....

nancy156

Cathlete
my daughter some of her own exercise equipment for Christmas. She needs some weights - she has 5's and 10's and I'd like to buy 8's, 12's, 15's and maybe 20's. I'm also thinking about a bar for her and I don't know much about these either. (My bar is one my husband salvaged from someone - it's old, but does the job). I know there are nice, soft, "womanly" bars out there with weights that are easy to change. You have to see me changing the weights on mine - it's good for a hearty laugh. (lol) She also needs gloves, bands, a ball, and whatever else I come up with by then. Where do you think I could find everything at the best prices? I've accumulated my equipment over the last few years and bought them at various places as I needed them, but now that I'd like to purchase many things at one time, I thought I could use your good advice. Would it be cost prohibitive to buy online being that the weights would cost a fortune to ship? That would probably be my preference if the shipping didn't "kill" the good prices.

Thanks for the help girls!!!:)

You wouldn't, perhaps, be looking for another daughter to adopt. Would you? You are a gem.

I think stuff like gloves, bands maybe even weighted balls would be best bought at stores like Ross or Marshall's. You can usually find them there for good prices. If you don't have those around, then yes online would be great too. I do think the online suppliers try to keep their prices competitive.

As far as the heavy stuff, well, try Walmart, Target, or some sort of Play it Again Sports if you have that available. I guess, the bottom line is, for the best bang for your buck, you probably will have to hit a few different places. Good luck. Keep us updated.

Marla

I agree with Marla!! I also found a few things (my 8 lb ball) on ebay. My bar and plates, and most of my weights are from Play it Again Sports.

And, if you're looking for a third daughter... sign me up!!! That's an awesome gift for your daughter. Have fun!

You are an awesome Mom!!...I agree with Marla. Check local before you go online. Walmart, Target, Play it Again Sports have been great for me. I have 3 barbells...which is great for PLB!. I do look for good sales...:)...Carole

i second a play it again sports if you have one near you. they sell used equipment as well in great condition for over half of the price of buying new. for weights i would check the stores b/c you will be getting into some hefty shipping charges b/c they can't send that through usps. it would have to be shipped by ups or something by the pound.OUCH. i all my barbell plates at wal-mart. i have a cheapo standard i bought at wal-mart and a few of my handweights and adjustable hand weights were also from wal-mart. i have had most of this stuff for nearly 5 years and its still in good condition.

for a stability ball i would go to this site for an anit-burst and they are the same price as wal-marts just much better quality, the same with the bands. gloves can be brought anyhwere they have sporting goods. hubby got a good pair of gold's gym gloves at our wal-mart. not sure if that's every wal-mart(there is a gold's gym down the street from wal-mart,so endorsment deal most likely) but i like their brand just fine as well.

http://www.fitnesswholesale.com/

now do you want to adopt me as your daughter i could use a few new things LOL j/k

kassia

When they discover the center of the universe, a lot of people will be
disappointed to discover they are not it -- Bernard Bailey

I bought all my plates and most of my db's (12's and up) from Wal-Mart. Marla's right -- Ross and Marshall's have great prices on gloves and weighted balls, even yoga mats and pilates rings. I couldn't find a bar short enough for my small workout space so I had to order a Troy Lite bar from fitness1st.com. Since I didn't buy the whole Troy Lite set, my expense was minimal. I got my tubing and bands from fwonline.com since they sell those pretty cheap in packages, and I get tubing and bands with so much more resistance than those I find in local stores.

Pinky

For a bar and plates, I highly recommend the Troy Lite set. The plates and rubber covered, and the bar is not as long as many, so the whole system is fairly compact.

Thanks so much for all of your advice. Yes, Nancy, I wish I could start over too. I have an array - one thing uglier than the next. They do the trick though, I guess. I love the compact rack. I'm going to have to take a second look. Thanks.

I wish we had a Play It Again Sports in our area. I mostly shop in New Jersey - does anyone know if there's one there?

Kathryn, I've heard or read about the Troy Lite (probably here on this site). I have to go take a look at one. That may take me over the edge for a Christmas gift though, we'll have to see. I have three daughters and I try to keep it as even as I can.

Sorry, I'm hijaking the thread. But Nancy, I just took a peek at your pictures and I have to say that you and your daughters are absolutley beautiful!
That's all I wanted to say. you can continue with the conversation now! LOL!

Kathy

That's very nice of you to say Kathy. When you get to my "age" you begin to feel invisible. You may be too young to know what I mean! lol. Thank you very much!!! I'm very proud of my girls! Remind me to brag someday.

How I love my Troy Lite Workout System! There have been umpteen threads on the system and how much people love it on these boards. And, frankly, I don't think I've heard a single negative comment. The greatest accolades seem to come from folks who have had other bars in the past. I am not one of those, but I sure do love my Troy Lite.

http://www.fitness1st.com/Troy-Bars.html

HTH, Nancy. And BTW, there is no time to brag like the present. What do your daughters do?

-Nancy

Thanks for asking about my daughters Nancy. It's hard to brag in person but lots of fun this way.

My oldest daughter, 22, is a recent graduate of Princeton University graduating magna cum laude. We are very proud of her!! She plans on going to NYU for a masters but is presently employed at JP Morgan on Park in an analyst position.

My second daughter, 20, is a junior at Yale University. She is doing very well. Presently, she is planning on law school (was always my dream) so we'll see if she goes that route. Plans on taking the LSAT in June, I believe. We are also very proud of this baby!!

My third daughter, 15, is a sophomore at Staten Island Tech High School, a magnet school for the brightest of the bunch. (All the girls went to this high school.) She presently holds a 98.something average and is trying desperately to keep up with her sisters.

So, there you have it. Could a mother get more lucky? They are pretty and sweet and, best of all, the hormones didn't kick in until college so I didn't have the usual problems you hear moms having "raising" girls. I've always insisted on honesty and respect and all I ever asked of each one of them was to do their "very best" when it came to school. Even my youngest, with lots of peer pressure, does more time studying than anything else. I couldn't ask for more.

Thanks for much for allowing me to brag.

Hi Nancy,

I really like a girl-y barbell set I saw at Wal-mart. It has different colored weights for the bar and is smaller and much prettier than my current "man" bar that I have been enduring for over a year.(it also takes a long time to change it out)
I think I may give in and go get it soon as an encouragement gift to me.

good luck
tracye

I don't have one (yet), but I too have heard great things about the Troy Lite bars. I got to use one at Cathe's gym during the Road Trip -- it was so easy to work with.

I've been told that the bar works well with plates from other retailers such as Wal-Mart, so you don't have to pay shipping for so much weight!

Your daughters sound like exceptional young women.

WOW!! :eek: Princeton and Yale. An all ivy league family. I really am impressed. And I love hearing about young women who are doing well for themselves, and particuarly who weren't driven crazy by their hormones in Jr. High and High School. Thanks for sharing! :D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.