I want to become a Fitness Trainer, but

KRISTINE A

need help deciding what online course to enroll in. Do any of you out there have any suggestions on how to become a fitness trainer, or the best course of action to becoming one? I am 56 (57 in a couple of weeks) and have been working out for 28+ years. I am doing STS with Cathe right now, and have been doing Cathe workouts for several years, so I think I am somewhat knowlegable about exercising.

My business is not going very well:(, and several of my friends have suggested personal training as a way of doing something that I love and maybe making a little money at the same time.

So, any suggestions would be great.

Thanks so much.

Kris

Hi Kris,

I have no insights on the best course to become a trainer.

I just wanted to say that I am sorry to hear about your business. I wish you good luck with your trainer idea. I hope someone knowledgeable responds soon.

Hi Kris,

Congrats on your new goal of becoming a trainer, that is fantastic! I got certifed through ACE last year (home study) and I'm working on my ACSM personal trainer cert as well. In the future I'd like to get a Master's in Nutrition. You want to look into reputable certifications, which include ACE, ACSM, NASM and a few others that I can't remember right now. There are home study courses and full-time school courses and workshops, etc. It really depends on what you want to do and how much time/money you have to invest.

If you're interested in working for a gym, I'd call them up and see what their certification preference is and if they'd be willing to help you get certified. Find your "niche" of what type of client you want to work with and go from there. I met a woman named Miche online and she got certified in her 50's as well. Her blog is www.lastjourneydown.com and she lost about 90 pounds and became a full-time trainer. Her book is also titled Last Journey Down. She hasn't been on her blog lately due to travel for her book, but she is awesome. :D

Since I'm a newbie trainer I don't have a lot of other advice, I'm sure some others will have some great advice.

Sandra

I have AFAA and LOVE it. It was a tough exam as there is a written and practical component. There are many respected certifications, all of which Sandra mentioned. However, I chose AFAA as that's what was offered in my location--military base in Germany. The biggest issue is being able to convey the information in a competent, respectible manner. I've found that what I bring to my sessions (my personality, motivation, and expertise) is much more important than a particular type of certification.

Good luck and pm if you have any other questions. You might consider checking out the Personal Trainer social group.

ITA with everything Laura said. I am also AFAA certified and I really respect that organization. They have given me the proper tools to become an effective trainer. Good luck w/ whatever you choose and yes, please join us on the PT forum.

Clarissa

Thanks for all of your input. It really helped me. I ordered the ISSA program and it came yesterday. I am really excited!!
Thanks again-Kris

Hi, Kris. I'm curious. Why did you decide to go with ISSA? Been looking at some of these programs myself. There are quite a few out there, and it's not always clear to me what the differences are. -Beth

ACSM

I am certified through ACSM and it was the hardest exam I ever took, but when I was done, I was confident that I had learned alot. Alot of these company's just want your money and even let you use your book to take the exam, but I feel like to really learn, the learning process needs to be tough. I studied for 9months for this exam, and it was still hard, yet it's something I am proud of. With the ACSM you study out of the same books that Doctors of Sports Medicine study out of, so you learn alot of what they do!

More important that being certified though is being qualified. Find someone you know who would like to you to train them, and do it pro bono and get a feel for what kind of trainer you want to be, and see if it's something you are really into. I started this way before I ever got certified, and I learned so much from my first few people that I trained. Every client is a learning experience. Now after 5 years of training, I love every minute it and feel confident between my experience and my certifcation that I am a good trainer.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.