I think peps are looking at Kick Max all wrong

JulieL

Cathlete
First off I'm not off to offend anyone, but I can't help to notice how many of you are saying discouraging things about this workout. I think the real problem is that people are assuming that since it's kickboxing it's the same kind of kickboxing as KPC, but it's not. KPC is definately a cardio workout. Kick Max is a toning workout. You get different things out of these two workouts. The pace the kicks are done at are done where you can REALLY SQUEEZE the muscles while kicking. In KPC the pace is to fast to put that much thought and effort into most of the kicks. I think those who are thinking about getting this workout but haven't should realize it's not the same kind of cardio that KPC is. I really expect to see some toning in my legs due to this workout, there is a definate burn factor to this workout. Anyway just my thought on the workout - oh and I LOVE IT! :)

Julie,

I totally agree with you on this one - I felt the same way when I read some of the posts on it - the blast challenge is definitely all cardio - I love cardio, too - but I really don't do kickboxing for the cardio - I do it for the workout aspect of working my legs and my core and having fun doing it!

I use 2# weighted gloves when I do kickboxing and I really work on each move to get the best out of each move - this Kickmax is just what I have been waiting for. The leg drills are awesome, too.

I do step for cardio - but it is a nice bonus in kickboxing, too. You only get out of it what you put into it - I have taking Karate for 15 months and just got my 5th belt and in Kickmax I can tell Cathe has great form and technique and the leg drills is just what I need to improve my overall flexibility.

Cheryl

Next questions . . Would you then do this workout the day after a weight workout that involved your legs or would you rest in between?

I personally have not done KM yet . .
Dawn

I agree with all stated above. To answer your auestion Dawn, I will and have done KM the day before or after a weight workout (MM). It works the muscles very differently than a weighted leg workout, so although the legs get worked, they get challenged differently.

It will be interesting to see how Cathe puts the rotation together to acheive certain goals. (strength gain, fat loss, overall fitness gains etc...)

this was the first workout i previewed last night.. and it looks fun! i'm looking forward to burning when i do those leg drills!!!!

and hasn't cathe's form improved? not that i thought she had bad form before... but WOW! my jaw dropped then she started with those jabs!

-------------
cute work out clothes are good for AT LEAST an additional 10-15 calories burned!

I am thinking about getting this workout just because of the toning aspect. I love the thought of doing the kicks slowly to feel the burn.

I have done the whole thing & broken it ups so far this week. Yesterday I did I Max 3 and tacked on the blasts. Today I did Muscle Max and added on the leg toning from the end of Kick Max as well as the low impact drills at the beginning. I really like this workout.
Diane Sue

That's great idea, Diane Sue! I think I'll try dividing Kick max like you did for next week.
Lorrie

BTW, I looked at the picture in your profile. My jaw dopped when saw that you are in your fifties. You look great! Not that you should look bad, but you're a great inspiration for me to continue exercsing so I can have a slammin' body, too.
Lorrie

oh you will definitely feel the burn! I did this yesterday and by last night my legs were feeling it- especially the outer thigh/glute area.

Cathe and the ladies look so incredible in this video it is amazing!

Tracy

I finally was able to do Kick Max today, after shoving it further back in my intended rotation due to a crazy week... I did the combos TWICE for practice (I found the choreography easy to follow, easier than KPC) and the leg conditioning drills.

I'd say that with the slower pace, I feel my muscles more in KM than in KPC or Cardio Kicks. BUT just because it has a slower pace doesn't mean my heart rate wasn't up there. I was dripping wet when I was done.

And the leg conditioning drills are a refreshing break from the weighted leg work and floor work done with a stability ball or a band. For some reason, I felt like I was back in ballet class where I felt a stretch in my legs at the same time I was working them.

I'd like to combine the combos in KM with those in KPC or with CTX-Kickbox. I'd also like to combine the leg conditioning drills with floor work in PLB and GS-Legs, or with the ankle weight segment in L&G. My brain is now buzzing with possibilities!:)

Pinky

I bought some wrist weights at TJ Maxx today for $5.99. HOping this will help get my heart rate up on this one. They are awesome, no straps, just fit nice on my wrist.

p.s. I have small wrists and they stay on :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.