I smell like ammonia

MAYNARDSMOM

Cathlete
I usually do my first thing in the morning. Today I did it about 1 hr after lunch. I kept smelling this strong ammonia stench & finally realized it was ME!! :confused: From what i read on my google search I need more fluids.

Anyone else after have this?

You must get your blood sugar checked, smelling like ammonia can be a symptom of a sugar issue. That is something I watch out for, I would just pop into get your sugar checked right away. I used to have blood sugar crashes that resulted in seizures as a kid, so thats how I know about this.

I'm hoping its something else.

This happens to me all the time. A doc friend of mine told me I was likely in ketosis (a common thing for people doing Atkins-type diets as well, I guess). I've never noticed any side effects, other than the smell, that is! :)

I used to eat dried apricots and my sweat would smell like ammonia. I read that the sulfur they put in dried fruit can make you smell like ammonia. I quit eating dried fruit and no more problems.

Hi Maynardsmom, have you eaten asparagus recently? If yes, they will give you that funny ammonia smell for a while - you can Google it. I had it and someone told me that asparagus will give you that smell; I tested it again by eating asparagus and guess what - ammonia smell.

Hi Maynardsmom, have you eaten asparagus recently? If yes, they will give you that funny ammonia smell for a while - you can Google it. I had it and someone told me that asparagus will give you that smell; I tested it again by eating asparagus and guess what - ammonia smell.

That is so true!! My husband and I call it "Aspara-pee" :)

I usually do my first thing in the morning. Today I did it about 1 hr after lunch. I kept smelling this strong ammonia stench & finally realized it was ME!! :confused: From what i read on my google search I need more fluids.

Anyone else after have this?

This happened to me when I increased my intensity to INSANITY. Once my body got used to the workouts the smell stopped.

During extended endurance exercise the body accumulates excess ammonia from protein metabolism, which interferes with glycogen production, disrupting energy output. I notice that when I do long bike rides (4-5 hrs or more) that my clothes have that ammonia smell like you are experiencing. I do not have this same experience with any of the workouts I do at home (usually 1 hr or a little more or less). maybe start keeping a log of what you eat in the hours before you workout, during - if that applies - and afterward, and also log the time of day and type of workout that you do. maybe something will start to stand out in your diet that turns out to be the culprit.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.