I Read cardio is overrated.....

dawnmh22

Cathlete
..... so how many days and how much do I need?

I suppose it depends on also how active you are,if you have sit down job you made need more.

Also.... Ive been alternating days instead of doing weights and cardio on the same day,Does this give better results? or it really doesnt matter? TY!

It probably depends on the person, with some needing more cardio than others. The only way to know what works for you is to experiment.

I used to do quite a bit of cardio. That didn't keep an extra 10 pounds from creeping up on me in my mid 30s though. When an additional 5 threatened to stick like glue, that's when I picked up a dumbbell.

I started with Cathe last April and tried alternating weight and cardio days, with my cardio only being about 10-15 minutes long. I lost 9 pounds pretty quickly. I should add that I started eating better too. (Interestingly enough, I was also eating more. I upped my calories by an average of 500 extra a day.)

I think cardio is really important, but not at the expense of my muscles, which I was neglecting all those years. We just have to find balance between the two. What that balance is will probably only be found through trial and error.

I too believe this depends on the person and also that person's current activity level and needs. For overall fitness, try to find balance (ie, three days of some cardio and three days of some type of strength training plus recovery workouts).

What are your goals? If muscle building is, then your cardio may be shorter and more high intensity. Endurance training leans more toward longer, steady-state cardio. The key is variety. If you've stayed in one method for quite a while, try different durations and intensities.

I hope this helps some. It's a really tough question to answer because each individual has to experiment and even then, it's hard to know 100% because our bodies' requirements can change as well.

My own experience has taught me that because everybody's different and everybody wants something different there are no absolutes. To complicate matters, the body quickly adapts to whatever you're doing so you may get great results with a 3-day split for a few months then, suddenly, nothing... You never had any luck with full body workouts or circuit but then you reintroduce one or both and, voila, results are happening again... for now. Most of us aren't scientists so, though there are scientific reasons for why we are or are not getting results, It always seems to feel like anything you do is a crapshoot. Everyone knows more muscle = more fat burn but when I did nothing but weight training and stopped seeing results i re-instituted cardio in the form of HIIT on the treadmill (CardioCoach) and started seeing results again. Then I brought back my old FIRM circuit routines (which had given me great results once, but then didn't) my results really picked up steam. My workout history has taught me those results will eventually cease and I'll have to change it up again. In the end, I've found you need to keep changing things up and play around with different types of physical activity to keep the ball rolling. I read everything (particularly over at FigureAthlete.com, especially Chad Waterbury's stuff) but it's best to take everything with a grain of salt since even the "experts" don't agree. If you've gotten great results doing plenty of cardio you can change up what you do but why give that up if it works? If all the cardio in the world isn't getting you what you want you should turn to weight training (comes in lots of forms). Like Arnold said "Do what works." I'd add, until it doesn't. Then your body's telling you it's time to try something else.

One absolute, though. Like someone here once said "You can't work out a bad diet." True for everyone.

thanks!!

All of you great advice!!! I see what your saying so keep switching routines for your body to have great results? so now I'm at 4 days cardio and 2-3 days weights, then after 8 weeks maybe 3 days of cardio and 3 days weights,then the next 8 weeks up my cardio to 5 days and 2 day weights? How does this sound? TY!

It depends on what you mean by "over rated". As a way to lose weight? Maybe. It makes many people hungrier so they tend to eat more. I'm the opposite - I am hungrier on weight training days.

But in terms of health - cardio is what keeps our hearts and our cardiovascular systems strong and healthy. So, don't cut too much. Try to maintain a healthy balance.

But How Much Time

Should I spend on workouts? I am going back to work soon and I will have to get up at 5:30 to get everyone ready and be to work by 7:15. Then by the time I put the kids to bed it is 8 and I am usually asleep by 9. Is 30 minutes a day enough? Can I do one segment of 4DS each day or should I do one hour 4X per week? I am really struggling with trying to figure out how much I should do. Help! Thanks.

I see what your saying so keep switching routines for your body to have great results? so now I'm at 4 days cardio and 2-3 days weights, then after 8 weeks maybe 3 days of cardio and 3 days weights,then the next 8 weeks up my cardio to 5 days and 2 day weights? How does this sound? TY!
I think that's a pretty good idea. It probably doesn't have to be in 8 week rotations, but if that's what you'd like, what the heck. Why not. You'll learn a lot about your body in this process.

Mabdoo, everyone is different, so 30 minutes might be just right for you. You'll have to experiment with both of your suggestions.

Should I spend on workouts? I am going back to work soon and I will have to get up at 5:30 to get everyone ready and be to work by 7:15. Then by the time I put the kids to bed it is 8 and I am usually asleep by 9. Is 30 minutes a day enough? Can I do one segment of 4DS each day or should I do one hour 4X per week? I am really struggling with trying to figure out how much I should do. Help! Thanks.

First and foremost - remember that ANYTHING is better than nothing. So start with one segment of 4DS. Do you have the option of walking over lunch, or riding a bike to work, or something? Once you are at the office longer, you will get the feel for what you can and cannot do. There are all sorts of ways to get exercise in creatively, but do not stress over it, especially the first few months.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.