I Need Your Input on Beautiful Badass

melagras

Cathlete
I've purchased the program from Nia Shanks and am ready to get started.

Should I start off with the weight I'm comfortable with until I get familiar with the program?

I'm not sure which one of the workouts I'm going to use yet. I plan on studying the manual while I'm off for Easter.

I am interested in this, but have never heard of it. I went to the website, but it was unclear to me...is this a dvd training program? Is there a place I can see clips?

Thanks

Hi!

Tralaiven, it is two pdf files - one is a "manual" that gives a lot of advice on fitness, lifting, eating, and generally having a strong mental outlook. It also has links to private youtube videos that demonstrate how to do all of the exercises in the programs. The other file contains 19 different weight lifting programs. They're just written out, as in "do x sets of x reps" etc.

Melagras, I am on week 7 of the beginner program, and before I started, I had never done any "heavy" lifting or barbell lifting. What I did was start each exercise very light, and slowly added weight until it seemed like it would be challenging to do the prescribed number of reps. For all the barbell lifts, I started by doing a set with just the bar, then I'd add say 5 lbs and do another set, add 5 lbs and to a third set, etc. Then when I got to what felt like a challenging weight, I started my work sets.

(For some exercises, like deadlifts, I added weight in larger chunks, and for others, like overhead presses, the bar was a good starting point) If I got to a point where I felt my form breaking down, I took some weight off for the rest of the sets. If it ended up seeming too light, I added weight. Using this method, it was really pretty easy to get to a good, challenging weight. There are only a few different exercises in each workout, and since you go at your own pace it's not like following a video where you better have a weight you can handle or you'll be left behind while you change it out, you know?

I don't know if that's the kind of advice you were looking for, but hope it helps

I just wanted to say thank-you for introducing me to this AMAZING website! This is definitely a program I can see myself doing. I LOVE TO LIFT :eek:.

Good luck with the program! It looks awesome :eek:.

Natasha

Hi!

Tralaiven, it is two pdf files - one is a "manual" that gives a lot of advice on fitness, lifting, eating, and generally having a strong mental outlook. It also has links to private youtube videos that demonstrate how to do all of the exercises in the programs. The other file contains 19 different weight lifting programs. They're just written out, as in "do x sets of x reps" etc.

Melagras, I am on week 7 of the beginner program, and before I started, I had never done any "heavy" lifting or barbell lifting. What I did was start each exercise very light, and slowly added weight until it seemed like it would be challenging to do the prescribed number of reps. For all the barbell lifts, I started by doing a set with just the bar, then I'd add say 5 lbs and do another set, add 5 lbs and to a third set, etc. Then when I got to what felt like a challenging weight, I started my work sets.

(For some exercises, like deadlifts, I added weight in larger chunks, and for others, like overhead presses, the bar was a good starting point) If I got to a point where I felt my form breaking down, I took some weight off for the rest of the sets. If it ended up seeming too light, I added weight. Using this method, it was really pretty easy to get to a good, challenging weight. There are only a few different exercises in each workout, and since you go at your own pace it's not like following a video where you better have a weight you can handle or you'll be left behind while you change it out, you know?

I don't know if that's the kind of advice you were looking for, but hope it helps
Thanks, Audryb. I'll start out at the weight I normally use for Cathe's workouts and add from there. When I did STS, I was lifting a fair amount with my barbell. I hope to surpass that quickly with Nia's program.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.