I need Yoga/ Pilates workouts. Please help.

timea3

Cathlete
Hello everyone,

I am doing Cathe's rotation(s) and we have a few Yoga/Pilates days. The only Yoga I have is P90X.
I would like to buy some yoga and pilates DVDs and I really need your help. I don't want beginner yoga I just tired a few and they are too easy. I am thinking intermediate or (let's be brave) advanced workouts. Any recommendations?????:eek:

By the way Happy Halloween everyone and thanks for your help.;)

Timea:D

Mari Windsor is good for Pilates. But for yoga, I have no idea and but would love some!

There are so many different types, I don't even know where to start. Like you, I'd like something challenging that will raise the heart rate, but something that I could do as a beginner. Simply bending myself into fancy positions isn't going to cut it! :)

I've used P90X & found it to be entirely too long. If you are looking for something shorter, try Eionn Finn's Power Yoga for Happiness. It has 2 disks & several workout options--including a longer workout. He's a lot more laid back than Tony but still quite enjoyable. And he has a cute little dog, too.

I own Denise Austin's Pilates for Every Body. It is very challenging. It is the only D.A. video I would ever recommend to an advanced exerciser. It is about 45 min long. It got me in great shape years ago. I still do in on occasion, but I am not into any Pilates right now! I like it better than Mari Windsor - she talks too much explaining the moves.

Clarissa

I own Denise Austin's Pilates for Every Body. It is very challenging. It is the only D.A. video I would ever recommend to an advanced exerciser. It is about 45 min long. It got me in great shape years ago. I still do in on occasion, but I am not into any Pilates right now! I like it better than Mari Windsor - she talks too much explaining the moves.

Clarissa

Netflix has that one, so I'm going to give it a try! Thanks for the recommendation!

check out yogadownloads.com where you can affordably download all different practices and put them on your ipod or burn a CD (they come with accompanying pix that you can print out if you don't know what the poses are). I know some of their 20 min workouts you can even get for free. For dvds, in addition to the ones suggested, Rodney Yee and Rainbow Mars are instructors I enjoy.

Ditto what LaughingWater wrote, I also like Rodney Yee and Iron Yoga.

Winsor Pilates is a great workout.

I also enjoy Anna Benson's Fitprime workouts. They have a fusion of yoga and pilates. Anna's yoga workout is good. I was sore after I finished!

Thanks everyone

Thanks everyone for your help. You gave me sooooo many recommandations. I love this web site. Thanks to all of you again. Now it is time for me to decide witch DVD(s) to buy. :p

I like all Lori's suggestions.

Yoga is sometimes labeled advanced based on the level of flexibility and balance required for the poses in the practise. So a DVD labeled advanced may have inaccessible poses for the average person.

Baron Baptiste and Bryan Kest are great options for mostly accessible poses that still managed to provide advanced practice sessions that demand endurance and improve flexibility.

Yoga Shakti by Shiva Rea is one of my all-time favorite Yoga DVDs. It has loads and loads of material and so many premixes. It demanding and yet largely do-able. It works on all aspects - strength, balance, endurance, flexibility. It has lots of room to grow. Production values are outstanding.

Some other DVDs that I like:
a. Erich Schiffman - Backbends. Erich is an outstanding teacher and his intructions are precise. For those attempting to learn yoga off DVDs rather than a live class, his form pointers are superb.

b. Rodney Yee - Rodney has many influences from Iyengar to Ashtanga and his form is great. His instruction is minimal but his workouts are so well planned. I like minimalist instruction in yoga at times as it creates a peaceful aura. His best in my opinion would be one of these:
- Yoga for Energy (amazing yoga choreography) This DVD is sometimes sold on a single disc along with his Yoga for Strength making it excellent value for money.
- Power Yoga for Everybody

c. Spirit of Vinyasa Flow - Deb Dobbin
Another DVD that demonstrates excellent form and lots of material / many premixes. Comes with a very good pose guide to learn the right alignment

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.