I just HAVE to ask what you all think about the woman....

I have no problem with what she did, or with her selling her story if she wants to do so. It's unusual definitely, but, freedom of choice is paramount to me. I chose not to have any kids, other people make different choices, and that's fine with me. It was an expensive endeavor, I'm sure, but lots of medical procedures are expensive and many medical conditions could have been prevented before the expensive procedures were required.

I have no problem with what she did, or with her selling her story if she wants to do so. It's unusual definitely, but, freedom of choice is paramount to me. I chose not to have any kids, other people make different choices, and that's fine with me. It was an expensive endeavor, I'm sure, but lots of medical procedures are expensive and many medical conditions could have been prevented before the expensive procedures were required.

"Freedom of choice" is not a reason for irresponsibility. This women knew what she was doing and is expecting everyone else to pay for it.

I think the doctors who implanted the embryos should pick up the tab!

But actually, if she's going to make several million dollars selling her story, maybe she will be able to pay her medical expenses herself!

All I can say is that I think this woman is insane for even trying to have ONE baby with a family of SIX already!?!:eek:

As for the doctor...well unfortunately....money talks I am sure. :rolleyes:

But actually, if she's going to make several million dollars selling her story, maybe she will be able to pay her medical expenses herself!

Yeah - right. If you do the math - she'll need over 3 million to raise them through college. That is just for the eight not to mention the other 6.

Anyway you cut it - it's a selfish thing to do.

If it matters, if her true goal was to garner money from everything, its backfiring as none of the usual commercial companies are paying for it. I don't care how many children some one has as long as they can emotionally, physically, and financially support them -- whether its one or eight. But regardless how you feel about IVF, typically you implant multiple embryos in IVF but all of hers "took." Usually, if a physician plants a couple, only one maybe two will will attach correctly and develop and they often can be lost (miscarried). Hopefully, this will make hospitals/physicians/HMOs review their policies on IVF because it sounds like she got one doctor to do the implantation and she went to another set for prenatal care and then almost over 40 medical staffers were needed for the delivery. It's all in all a bizarre case.

But regardless how you feel about IVF, typically you implant multiple embryos in IVF
This is true, but "multiple" usually means two, sometimes three, MAYBE four depending on your history not EIGHT. This was in no way a normal IVF procedure.

doctor to do the implantation and she went to another set for prenatal care
Oh, and this really isn't all that uncommon. The RE that does the transfer typically discharges their patient into the care of an OB or Peri depending on the case.

I did have IVF to have my twins. At the time (12 years ago) the office I was going to would not implant more than 4 embryos at at time for medical reasons. It is terribly dangerous to a mother and the babies to carry more than 1 or 2 babies. They implanted 4 and I was pregnant with three but lost 1 very early on and had twins.

My girlfriend went through the procedure just recently and the office she went to would only implant 2 embryos at a time and having success with that approach. Both embryos took - but one embryo then split (so she had identical twins and a fraternal baby at that point). Unfortunately, they were born very pre-mature and one of the identicals died shortly after birth.

My point is that the Doctor who implanted 8 (or more?) embryos into that woman was irresponsible and put her life (and the babies' life) at risk unnecessarily.

Thing is, responsible people have money BEFORE they start breeding like rabbits. I guarantee it's going to come out this chick went out of the country for this. The woman is UNEMPLOYED. Invitro costs tens of thousands of dollars per attempt. Where did she get the money for that part even? This woman is insane and she's selfish and doing this for her own "needs." Responsible parenthood does not involve risking the lives of 8 innocent children. She went to a hospital already so far down the road they couldn't do anything about it. And who is picking up the tab for all of the neo-natal care? We are!! The woman has a publicist for pete's sake!! Selling her story so she can get a free house, car, etc. All of these litter-baring types do the same thing. They just go public figuring they'll get someone else to pay their way. It amazes me that they all hide behind "religion," too, for not responsibly implanting a reasonable number or reducing the number of embryos. Funny, they don't want to use science that way - they aren't god - they don't get to decide who lives or dies. Yet, they have no problem turning to science to get knocked up - the fact they couldn't do it naturally had nothing to do with god saying, pursue a different path (like adopting any one of the millions of needy children in this country or around the world) - god got that one wrong. Now I need science. I'll dump it later when it's convenient for my own personal agenda. Hypocrites. ugh

to many children

Too many children for just one person to take care of. How in God's green earth does she do it? I think it's totally irrisponsible on the part of both parties. The doctor and the mother, I could barely take care of one child being single. It cost to much money to have children today,especially adding onto it 8 more babies. They are both crazy!

Thing is, responsible people have money BEFORE they start breeding like rabbits. I guarantee it's going to come out this chick went out of the country for this. The woman is UNEMPLOYED. Invitro costs tens of thousands of dollars per attempt. Where did she get the money for that part even? This woman is insane and she's selfish and doing this for her own "needs." Responsible parenthood does not involve risking the lives of 8 innocent children. She went to a hospital already so far down the road they couldn't do anything about it. And who is picking up the tab for all of the neo-natal care? We are!! The woman has a publicist for pete's sake!! Selling her story so she can get a free house, car, etc. All of these litter-baring types do the same thing. They just go public figuring they'll get someone else to pay their way. It amazes me that they all hide behind "religion," too, for not responsibly implanting a reasonable number or reducing the number of embryos. Funny, they don't want to use science that way - they aren't god - they don't get to decide who lives or dies. Yet, they have no problem turning to science to get knocked up - the fact they couldn't do it naturally had nothing to do with god saying, pursue a different path (like adopting any one of the millions of needy children in this country or around the world) - god got that one wrong. Now I need science. I'll dump it later when it's convenient for my own personal agenda. Hypocrites. ugh

ITA!!! ;)

I guarantee it's going to come out this chick went out of the country for this.

ITA. Like i've said before, I highly doubt this woman had the money to pay for IVF like we do here. A woman in another interview (i'm going to have to see if I can find it) said that the woman mentioned before that she was paid for the IVF. Makes me think either she is going through some kind of trial in other country or there is a crazy "dr" out there somewhere doing some kind of thing on his own for who knows what purposes.

I personally wouldn't want to have that many kids, I have my hands full with two. But who am I to judge what other people can and can't do.

I just find some of the comments here really off mark. Let's just step back a little bit, none of us knows "that woman", none of us knows if she is unstable, irresponsible .... All we know is what the (tabloid) media reports.

We don't know what the story really is, if she took fertility drugs and then got artificially inseminated, if it was in-vitro, or...... Maybe she developed too many follicles due to fertility treatment, if she had embryos implanted, maybe some of the cells split and she had one or more sets of identical twins. She is not talking, her doctor is not talking, the hospital is not talking, rightfully so, because everyone has a right to privacy. What we know is that she refused to abort any of the babies which normally is hailed as a heroic dead.

"That woman" was also employed at a hospital from 1997 to 2008 until she was bed-written due to her carrying octuplets.

Regardless of we think that this is a mistake or what we would or wouldn't do, I really don't get what the collective anger is about. I just get the distinct feeling that this wouldn't be so much of an issue for the press and many people if she was married. And what is it about the fear that we, the taxpayer will have to take care of her? So far there is no indication that we have to. But what if? Well, I guess it wouldn't quite rank up there with AIG spa packages and CEO bonuses :eek:

Last edited:
I can't figure out why people care so much, quiet honestly.
It's her perogative how many kids she wants to have.
And it sounds like her moral beliefs prevented her from "reducing" the # of embryos that she had.
Whatever. She's the one that has to figure out how to feed 8 babies.

I love that people are all up in arms about her, yet no one seems to flinch at the Dugger family that has 19 children now. It's somehow different becuase some of the kids are older?

This will only be a story until the press finds someone else to bother.

I just get the distinct feeling that this wouldn't be so much of an issue for the press and many people if she was married.

I disagree. The media just LOVE to report on freakishly large births. Remember the McCaughy's endless media barrage? "Jon & Kate Plus 8" is into its 4th or 5th season.

IMO, I think people should be angered that there are "doctors" out there who are doing this to women and families.

I have issues with the Duggers, too. With the numbers of needy kids in the world in orphanages, why not help someone else, instead of just spreading your seed?
Also, my information came from her publicist's appearance on the Today show this morning. The one where she said anyone interested in more information about the woman and the situation could contact her for interviews!! Also, this isn't just about "her decision." The risks TO THE BABIES in cases like this are what I have issue with. SEVERE, LIVE-LONG, LIFE-THREATENING risks. That is not your perogative to inflict on someone else to satisfy your own ego - which IS what this and other mega-multiples are about.

I disagree. The media just LOVE to report on freakishly large births. Remember the McCaughy's endless media barrage? "Jon & Kate Plus 8" is into its 4th or 5th season.

IMO, I think people should be angered that there are "doctors" out there who are doing this to women and families.

Yeah, but the difference is that the media coverage on them was a lot more positive. Families with multiple births get a lot of gifts from companies like Gerber, Pampers, etc. They get houses, cars and furniture donated. Not so in this case! There is so much public anger about the poor woman who has just given birth.

As I said, none of us knows what actually happened, we do NOT know for a fact that the doctor implanted 8 embryos or did anything unethical. But even if he did and she knew and consented, I just don't see how it is our business to second-guess a woman's reproductive choice.

I have issues with the Duggers, too. With the numbers of needy kids in the world in orphanages, why not help someone else, instead of just spreading your seed?

Spreading your seed??? Instead of taking care of needy kids? There is a little more to having kids than that IMO. It is a noble cause but just because this may be one person's choice it doesn't mean that everyone else has to make the same choice.

Also, this isn't just about "her decision." The risks TO THE BABIES in cases like this are what I have issue with. SEVERE, LIVE-LONG, LIFE-THREATENING risks. That is not your perogative to inflict on someone else to satisfy your own ego - which IS what this and other mega-multiples are about.

Valid point! But where are you going to draw the line? There are drug addicts who have babies, people who smoke or abuse alcohol shouldn't have babies for the risks involved, what about people who eat very unhealthy diets? People on prescription drugs? What about people with genetic defects? Or people with mental disabilities? Where are we going to draw the line.

As far as I am concerned, the law needs to stay away from a woman's uterus. Period. This is between her, her doctor and her God. I wouldn't make the choices that the woman has made but those are her choices, they are legal, and I respect that.

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.