I hope this is not too dumb a question...

I have read in a recent M&F Hers that if you want to lose the fat in your legs but at the same time not bulk up, you should use a "moderate weight" I had been using a 17lb barbell but felt that my legs while getting stronger were not really getting leaner. And that is my biggest problem area (I am a 5'2 hourglass) I have never had firm defined muscles in my life so I am really proud of my little success despite the fact I have alot more fat to lose. But I wanted to know what would constitute a moderate weight so I can get the fat off but at the same time retain the muscle with a weight that challenges me?

Will I always have to remain at that same barbell/dumbell weight even as I slim down? Thanks Cathe/all that respond.;-)

Hi curvie girl, I started my leg workouts with 24 lbs. (2 12-lb. dumbbells on my shoulders). I saw results about four months later, when I was using a 30-lb. barbell. The heaviest weight I currently use for my legs is 40 lbs. At this point I am seeing the beginnings of definition and not just a general slimming down of my legs. We are all different and what's moderate to one is heavy to another. My 40 lbs. is light weight to some ladies here who do squats with 70 lbs. I guess you have to see for yourself how heavy you can go and gauge what's "moderate" to you from there. I'm 5'1" and a pear, skinny on top and chubby below. My legs have shaped up pretty well, not bulky at all. Hope this helps.

Pinky:7

Thanks Pinky,

I guess I just want to make sure that I am doing enough without going overboard and getting bulkier. I wish there was some type of guideline of what is moderate weight.

RE: Not dumb at all . . .

Hi, Curvie Girl!

I personally disagree with the advice to continually rely on moderate weightloads for squat and lunge work, not just for aesthetic but also for health reasons. Because your legs have so much strength-building capacity, you are going to get very bored with a low-weight load and your legs are too. It is important, for health and mobility reasons, to build true strength in the lower body muscles, and you can only do that by upping the weight loads safely and consistently over time.

I do sustained squat and lunge work with a combined weight load (between barbell and weight vest) of 70 pounds at least once and preferably twice per week; when I do cardio-circuit-style workouts (Circuit Max, Gauntlet, Power Circuit, the step circuit segment in Body Max) I use a 45-lb barbell. It took awhile to build up to that, and I know eventually I will be able to go heavier. I'm 5'3" (only 1" taller than you) and take a size zero in a pair of jeans.

The trick, IMHO, is to build strength (which will also involve building mass) in the legs, and to use that increased strength in the legs to increase your intensity capabilities in your cardio. Leg power translates into cardio power, and the combination of increased muscle mass (which is metabolically active, chewing up tons of calories) and increased power performance in cardio work (also another calorie-chewer) will indeed translate into a leaner physique. Another suggestion of mine is to keep a lot of plyo work in your cardio routines; these really help with leg power AND, in my personal experience, leg shape as well.

Just my Point-Oh-Two.

A-Jock

Curvie Girl, the only dumb question is the one that remains unasked! Moderate weight is different for everyone. You need to try a variety weight loads to see what works for you.

For me anything under 30 pounds would be light, 35 to 45 moderate and 50 and over, heavy. Ask yourself how quickly you begin to feel the work and how many reps you can complete feeling that you are working moderately hard but not exhausting your legs within the first sets. You should begin feel pretty spent after your last set. It should not feel easy nor should it feel too difficult. You need to decide how many reps you want to complete and how many you can perform to get the perfect workout for you.

I like staying in the moderate range. It complements running and the yoga work that I do and keeps my legs strong and defined. I am 5' 7" and there's nothing curvy about me! All angles here. Every now and again, I do like to go heavy but for the most part, staying at 35 to 40 pounds, keeps me strong and well-muscled. You might want to visit the muscle and Fitness website to see what information they have regarding modertate weight training. Good luck!
Chicks's Rule! http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/chicken.gif Bobbi

ok, my $10. Ever wonder why bodybuilders dont train the same muscle group daily? Over training sure, but because they lose size! BINGO!!! I have large legs and calves (i'm a male so aint so bad!) but my upper body is not as large, so i train legs every day, different exercises and i've lost 3" in size. Just a thought, but why not try doing something for them daily and see where is goes? This is, after all, how Figure Skaters train to be small, but also not gain large amounts of muscle, and they looks pretty good to me.

How long does it take a beginner before one can lift weights w/lower body workouts? I guess the answer will vary with everyone. I am impressed with all of you who can lift so much! I can barely get through the lower body workouts w/modifications and NO weights and I am spent by the end. My legs are on fire!
I don't get discouraged that I can't lift weights w/lowerbody workouts, I see that as one of my goals to be able to do and grow with these dvds.
hugs~
Bec

Hi Bec,

Before I started using weights for my LB workouts, I was using this step tape by Kathy Smith called Great Buns and Thighs. After doing it for on and off for about 6 months, I wanted to try something different so I went online and found Cathe. The first time I did her Pure Strength Legs workout, I was able to use 2 12-lb. dumbbells right away. I know that's a big jump, from 0 to 24 lbs., but as A-Jock says, our legs are very strong. That starting weight was heavy enough at the time to challenge me and give me a pleasant sore the day after. It took me five months to build up to my current 40 lbs., and I'm happy where I'm at. But when 40 lbs. starts getting easy, I'll surely add more plates to my barbell. It's great that you're allowing yourself time to grow with your workouts. I'd suggest that when you're very comfortable with the moves in your LB workouts, try putting some weight on you, even if it's just a 5-lb. barbell and see how it goes. You just might be amazed.

Good luck,
Pinky:)

Pinky,
Should I not add weights until I am able do all the reps that Cathe is doing? Right now, I can't keep up with her all the time. Towards the end, I do one squat/lunge or leg press, while they're doing two.
Thanks for your advice :)
hugs~
Bec

Yes Bec, that's what I was trying to say. When you get to the point where you can do what Cathe is doing, try to move up. And btw, I don't know if you have Power Hour, but whenever I do the lunges in that workout, I can't keep up with Cathe's singles. I still do one for every two that she does, with about 30 lbs. on me (lower on a bad day). In that particular workout, her single lunges and squats seem quite fast for me. My knees can handle the squats but scream at me when the single lunges come on. I have to listen to my knees of course, or they'll turn against me the next day.:)

Pinky

Years ago there was an exercise system for women - can't remember what it was, it was a loooooong time ago. Anyway, they had you doing squats and lunges daily and their premise was that working those areas daily decreased the size, just as you state in your post. Actually, this is the first time I've heard that theory stated since way back then!

Just had to put my $.02 in.

:)

Man compared to you all, I feel like my like my little 17lbs. are nothing! ;) I think I may try lifting heavier though and pray I don't bulk out.

The beauty of it all, is that if you go up and it proves to be too much, you can always lighten up. The key is consistancy. Keep lifting, whether you are using the resistance of your own body, hand weights or a barbell. The strength will come. Loading a barbell with heavy weights and getting off a few reps is a great way to advance. You don't have to do a whole workout heavy and you may just be surprised how much you can lift.

Hang in there, Bec. Everyone starts out as a beginner at some point! As long as you feel the work, you are getting a good workout and gaining strength. You are smart to listen to your body and advance as it becomes too easy. Over 4 to 6 weeks, you should start to feel that you need to add weight as your muscles grow and your body adapts to your training.

I am rather lanky and I don't gain muscle easily. I used to strive to get into really heavy weight training but it soon became apparent to me that that type of training doesn't suit me as well as moderate training. I will never be muscular in that way but I am strong and that's all that matters. It's a matter of finding what works for you and what type of a muscle builder you are. We are all so different! I look at Cathe's physique and I would love to be that muscular but then I'd also like to be 6' tall! One of my sisters is 5'2" and she has the most amazing beceps and delts but I didn't get that gene so I am content to do what works for me!
Chicks's Rule! http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/chicken.gif Bobbi

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.