I have an addiction problem . . .

Travisli

Cathlete
So I ran the Portland Half Marathon about 3 weeks ago -- it was awesome and fabulous and everything I thought it would be -- except that it rained a nice steady, and at times very hard, rain the entire time I ran, not to mention the half hour I just stood in the rain waiting for my corral to cross the start line (there were a little over 15,000 runners) -- it was AWESOME . . . how awesome?

Well, I came home from the race, took a nice hot shower so I could stop shivering from the cold and proceeded to sit in front of my computer and sign up for a 10K on Thanksgiving, a 5K the first week in December, a Half Marathon the second week in December, a 15K in March, a Half Marathon and a 10K next April, a 10K in May, a full Marathon next June and the Portland Full Marathon in October. . . now I am relentlessly looking for races to round out the rest of next year. . . I had already signed up for the Big Island Marathon in March because I anticipated taking my kids to Hawaii for spring break -- but with my trial schedule next year, that does not look like it will be possible, so I'll have to make due closer to home. . . I'm not crazy though :p

A friend of mine ran the full Portland Marathon and the very next weekend drove down to San Francisco and ran the Nike Women's Marathon and then she took last weekend off and is running a 50K this Sunday. . . now SHE'S crazy! Right???

I just have a small problem. . . :eek:

Hi Travisli;)

Wow, bravo on your running addiction and accomplishments!:eek: I have to say I was excited to see there was someone I gather is also in the pacific northwest, I didn't know there was a fellow cathlete in Oregon, YAY!! I think you should continue to run and enter races if that's what you love and are jazzed about, you go girl!;)

Hugs!

Nora

i say being addicted to running races and cathe dvd's is one of the healthiest ones to have :) congrats on your improved times, and have fun!

This is a good addiction. I know the feeling especially when you finish a race...good luck in all of those races. It's nice to have a race to look forward to. I am doing one on Thanksgiving to, I am hoping to be over my injury by then. I want to win, and I'd like a new PR.

Hi Travis,

I think it's wonderful you've found a new passion! As long as you are training smart, listening to your body, eating healthfully & getting plenty of sleep, rock on!

I'll look forward to more posts about how great you did in all those races! :)

LOL, I totally understand! I'm running my third half marathon this month tomorrow. ;) I think it's not such a bad addiction to have....;)

Good luck with all your races, sounds like you'll be having some fun! :)

Kathy G

Hi Travis,

Racing is so addicting. I starting running in hopes of doing a 10K race in 2008 and ended up doing 20 races that year.

I did a 10.2K this morning and have my first 1/2 marathon on 11/13. On December 4th I'm doing 2 races - a 10K in the morning and a 5K in the afternoon. I'm already checking out races for next year too.

I've met so many great people racing. I'm glad you are enjoying it as much as I am.

I have a 5k speed-walking addiction myself (but my season ends once temps dip below about 60, and doesn't start up again until things get above 50, so I'm done for the year).

My last race was in the rain, and I ended it with sopping wet shoes and socks and a soaked-through hoodie. Good thing I don't clean out my car that often, as I had dry shoes and socks (from a race the week before!), and three t-shirts (one from that race, and two from earlier races) that I changed into to get somewhat dry).

Travis, this is simply called "Being a RUNNER"! :) And no...we are NOT crazy! lol I have a toughie November, and when I listed it for a friend last night, she called me crazy! Nov 7th is World Run Day when I'll be logging 9-11 miles with another friend. Nov 14th is my South Mountain 10 miler, which is FAMOUS in this area for the 7+ mile run UP the side of the MOUNTAIN, and the following weekend Nov 21st if the Philly Half Marathon. 3 killer weekends.

NOT CRAZY! ;) :) ;)

Travis, this is simply called "Being a RUNNER"! :) And no...we are NOT crazy! lol I have a toughie November, and when I listed it for a friend last night, she called me crazy! Nov 7th is World Run Day when I'll be logging 9-11 miles with another friend. Nov 14th is my South Mountain 10 miler, which is FAMOUS in this area for the 7+ mile run UP the side of the MOUNTAIN, and the following weekend Nov 21st if the Philly Half Marathon. 3 killer weekends.

Thats not nuts, it makes perfect sense to me. When I am in that kind of shape, I plan to follow (literally) in your footsteps. I loves the running!

So I ran the Portland Half Marathon about 3 weeks ago -- it was awesome and fabulous and everything I thought it would be -- except that it rained a nice steady, and at times very hard, rain the entire time I ran, not to mention the half hour I just stood in the rain waiting for my corral to cross the start line (there were a little over 15,000 runners) -- it was AWESOME . . . how awesome?

Well, I came home from the race, took a nice hot shower so I could stop shivering from the cold and proceeded to sit in front of my computer and sign up for a 10K on Thanksgiving, a 5K the first week in December, a Half Marathon the second week in December, a 15K in March, a Half Marathon and a 10K next April, a 10K in May, a full Marathon next June and the Portland Full Marathon in October. . . now I am relentlessly looking for races to round out the rest of next year. . . I had already signed up for the Big Island Marathon in March because I anticipated taking my kids to Hawaii for spring break -- but with my trial schedule next year, that does not look like it will be possible, so I'll have to make due closer to home. . . I'm not crazy though :p

A friend of mine ran the full Portland Marathon and the very next weekend drove down to San Francisco and ran the Nike Women's Marathon and then she took last weekend off and is running a 50K this Sunday. . . now SHE'S crazy! Right???

I just have a small problem. . . :eek:

Well at least it's to fitness but like someone else mentioned on here please listen to your body and make sure you are getting the rest and things you need in between time.

Now I don't run, but will walk a marathon, but I commend you for that :)

I just had a thought............wouldn't it be AWESOME if some of us (a LOT of us, maybe) could coordinate a mini Road Trip and do the same event somewhere??? How cool would that be???:D

I just had a thought............wouldn't it be AWESOME if some of us (a LOT of us, maybe) could coordinate a mini Road Trip and do the same event somewhere??? How cool would that be???:D

That sounds like a great idea Gayle, I'm up for it! :) I only have two definite races on my agenda for next year - 50 miler on 7/16/11 - and the NYC marathon the first week in November 2011 (I actually qualify for it in 2011 because I haven't been picked for 3 years in a row). ;)

Anyone else interested? What location?

*edited to add it would have to be within driving distance for me though, don't think I can swing airfare. :(

Kathy G

Kathy, I don't (and can't) pay for airfare either, so no worries on that. Let's take a few days and 'shop around' and look for events that we'd each like to do (within driving distance) and we'll compare notes. I forget where you live, but I THINK I remember we're close enough to each other for US to coordinate a get-together. I have a few events I've got my eye on for 2011. YAY! This is exciting!!!

Hey Travis! Congrats on your half! Good for you!
I live just north of Portland/Vancouver. I am rather new to running, and am turning 40 this month. So my marathon friends have gotten me all amped for running something big! But you know what? After standing outside in the pouring rain watching my girls play soccer I'm not so sure I am up for running for HOURS in the great NW fall/winter weather! (not that I'm conditioned yet to run for HOURS, either!!)
So......the Seattle half is out! And the Vancouver Hot Buttered Run 12k is in! I see you're already signed up for something Thanksgiving weekend, but if you end up signing up for this, let me know!
As for the other gals who would like to do a "destination" run, I would really like that, too. I have a family, girls in sports (basketball now) and a work schedule to plan around. But if something worked out - great! There's stuff down in Napa and in Vegas that could be a blast! Where do you guys live?
All righty - off to practice my running.....

I would love to meet some fellow runners at an event and run together, it would be WONDERFUL -- of course I'm on the west coast and would prefer not to do airfare myself, but I'm open to anything :)

HotPants I was thinking about doing the HotButtered Run 12K myself, because what I'm already running is on Thanksgiving, but I haven't signed up yet. I will look it over again and think about it some more and let you know!

I just found out this morning that there is a half in Vancouver in January so I'm pretty sure I'll be signing up for that :)

I live in Sherwood, Oregon :D

I just found out about World Run Day and found two events kind of close to me so I think I'm running next Sunday . . . I love being a runner ;)

Travis, you don't HAVE to do an organized event on Nov 7th for World Run Day. I signed up early enough so that I already have the shirt (and have worn it twice to break it in, lol). A friend of mine from my running group signed up with me, and he and I are planning 11 miles along one of our favorite trails. Have fun, no matter where/what you run, and KNOW that there will be MILLIONS of runners out there the very same day (including ME)!

LOL! There are worse problems to have! I'm glad you've found something you love! Me, I ran the 10K at the MCM on Sunday and, while it was fun and exciting, I did not catch the "race bug." Sure, I'd like to put a half and a full marathon under my belt just to say I did it, but I don't "need" to continuously run races. DH and I were talking and we may run the MCM full marathon together in 2012. I'll do a half next year. That'll be it for me!

Congratulations on the Portland Half! You go girl! You've got more "oomph" than I have! I'll stick to running for fitness and enjoyment. Training about killed me just for the 10K!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.