I have a question

jackie7

Cathlete
If you were on vacation with your family and your 2 year old,only child, became sick with a fever, would you let your 75 year old parents, who babysit 3 days a week, care for the child so that you could go to an amusement park? I think I would stay. What do you think?

I don't think it's really fair to judge based only on the information you gave.

So many questions remain.... is the child in distress? Is it a mild fever where he/she is just feeling poor, or is it a high fever that indicates a more severe illness?

Is the child very close to the grandparents and comfortable enough with being left with them when sick that the parent going somewhere doesn't cause the child undue stress? How far away is the amusement park? Could they be in touch by phone every hour or so, and be home quickly if need be?

Personally, I wouldn't leave a well child to go to an amusement park... hate them with a passon...so the whole scenario is a moot point for me!;)

I go to quite a bit of effort not to expose my elderly parents to illness. Older people, especially if their health is not great, are far more prone than younger people to complications such as pneumonia. So, no, I would not leave my sick child with my parents.

Stebby

I go to quite a bit of effort not to expose my elderly parents to illness. Older people, especially if their health is not great, are far more prone than younger people to complications such as pneumonia. So, no, I would not leave my sick child with my parents.

Stebby

Stebby, while I agree whole heartedly with this sentiment, I had to laugh. She said the parents were 75 years old. In no way do I consider that "elderly".... but maybe that's because I'm 55. Interesting how our perspective changes as we age. :p

It totally depends. Are you going alone? Are there other people involved? How far did you have to travel? If it was an expensive trip and there are others involved, and the grandparents are comfortable (and the kid), I may go. They already babysit 3 days a week and they've managed to raise other children to adulthood (the parent in question), so they can probably handle a mild fever. I may not stay as long and I'd check in several times. But as another poster stated - there are a lot of potential variables here.

Stebby, while I agree whole heartedly with this sentiment, I had to laugh. She said the parents were 75 years old. In no way do I consider that "elderly".... but maybe that's because I'm 55. Interesting how our perspective changes as we age. :p

JeanneMarie, I'm 50 (not so much younger than you) and my parents are 80 (not too far from 75). I didn't mean to demean or insult anybody by my use of the term "elderly". Maybe I should have said "older people". I was thinking more of health status. When my parents reached their mid-seventies they started to become frail and less able to shake off what used to be minor illnesses. Years ago they never seemed to get sick and now they pick up every infection that comes their way! My dad has had pneumonia twice and my mom ended up with a collapsed lung. Their defenses against illness are just not there anymore. So I wouldn't even consider asking them to watch my daughter if she were ill.

That being said, I am planning to be in robust good health when I get to be that age. Something to shoot for, right?

Stebby

JeanneMarie, I'm 50 (not so much younger than you) and my parents are 80 (not too far from 75). I didn't mean to demean or insult anybody by my use of the term "elderly". Maybe I should have said "older people". I was thinking more of health status. When my parents reached their mid-seventies they started to become frail and less able to shake off what used to be minor illnesses. Years ago they never seemed to get sick and now they pick up every infection that comes their way! My dad has had pneumonia twice and my mom ended up with a collapsed lung. Their defenses against illness are just not there anymore. So I wouldn't even consider asking them to watch my daughter if she were ill.

That being said, I am planning to be in robust good health when I get to be that age. Something to shoot for, right?

Stebby

I completely understood where you were coming from Stebby! :)

It just struck me as funny that here I was reading something about the "elderly" and that definition was of someone not too far ahead of me in age! ;)

And yep.... I'm right there with ya....wanting to still be healthy and strong when I get there!

Been there, didn't would NEVER do that (leave my ill child with someone to have fun- very immature IMO).

We found out AT Disneyland for my son's 2nd b-day gift that his cold made a turn for the worse AND allergic to Penicillan... not a pretty scene.. So he** to the NO would I be so selfish ... yes my opinion is harsh- but being a parent requires sacrafice and self-LESS-ness. So get over youself (I assume it's not you that you are referring to... gosh, I hope so). the amusement park will be there- your child might not if you don't take care of your BABY.

I have raised a chronically ill child so I am intensly passionate in my opinions when it comes to a childs health.

Pam

I would have to stay. I couldn't leave my baby if she was feeling bad. I'd be worried the whole time and I wouldn't enjoy myself anyways. And honestly, I wouldn't want to be off enjoying myself while my little girl is sick.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.