I have 150 workout videos and still....

Are any of your videos Cathe? If not....that is why.

If so, maybe you need to do a rotation, so you will not be doing the same DVD everyday, and so you don't loose interest. It also elimates the guessing. What workout to do today!!!

Hope this helps.

I would recomment LIS rotation (November) to get you moving!!!!!

:D

After selling off and trading in DVDs for about a year now I am down to about 200 (down from dare I say, almost 1,000; yes it was a true addiction, I saught help!)

I am not a rotation girl myself, I have too much variety to want to stick to something for very long. Unlike the other comment, Cathe's workout DO NOT inspire me to lose weight. I find them to be last on my list for that purpose. When I need motivation I stick to the workouts that I find incredibly fun! Sometimes, it's not even DVDs, it's something outdoors, a class at the gym, something new I've never tried, and so on. When I want to lose some weight, I also don't focus on the scale, the number of pounds, and what workouts "will make me inspired, skinny, trim, toned, blah, blah, blah". Why? Bc when all you do is focus on the end the goal you lose sight of the journey, become obsessed, and for most people, you'll lose motivation when the results aren't happening as quickly.

Look at your collection and decide which ones you really really enjoy and go with that. If you don't enjoy anything, trade them into Amazon.com or sell them on eBay. Seek out a class or a ladies walking group. Find a way to get in your fitness that is fun and energizing. There is nothing worse them working yourself to the max, being tired, and losing hope and motivation. I'd rather it take me 5 yrs to lose 30 lbs but enjoy every step and every bit of personal growth along the way, then have them fall off in 6 mos but be miserable, restricting my food, working my life around fitness, and being tired and moody.

We're all different. What motivates one won't another. Seek out what gives you pleasure in the world of fitness and go with it. With time it will change maybe slightly to a complete 180. I know I've started out loving one thing in particular and within a few months my love became something else. And because I loved what I was doing, I didn't need motivation and I slowly made progress without stress and self competition. Good luck!

kswjetski - forgive me if this sounds harsh. Most of us here LOVE to work out, and work out HARD. Honestly, and I am in this boat too, the reason you may not be able to get "motivated" to lose your 30 lbs, is because you simply have not decided to change your diet to a manner that will fuel your workouts and allow you the energy to be productive, but then STOP. Most of us take in far too many calories, usually the wrong kind, and then wonder why we are stuck.

It's a pain-pleasure thing. Yes, we get pleasure from exercising our bodies and being fit, BUT we also tend to associate more pain than pleasure with the idea of a diet that strictly fuels our bodies, and cuts back (or eliminates) the idea of eating for social purposes. Until we get to the point where we associate pleasure with diet modifications that allow us to be strong and healthy, and, yes, the vanity component, look like we want to look/be comfortable in our skin, we won't change. Once you get there, you will be duly motivated.

Again, I apologize if that sounds harsh.

Hi!
You just have to find what suits you best! We all do Cathe, but every one I know on here also does other activities, whether it be running, DVD's from other instructors, or also going to a gym. There is an activity out there that is best for you! Keep searching! L Sann also has a great point, diet is 80% of the battle, no matter how hard you work out. Granted you might eat clean, and if so keep up the good work! If not, you should do some research on why it is so important. It's not as simple as calories in calories out, like most people seem to believe. Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes is a wonderful book, or Mark's Daily Apple, which is a blog online, is also a wonderful resource. Eating the right foods will help give you good fuel to energize you and help you reach your goals! Good Luck, you can do it!!! :)

I'm with MrsPrincess. DVDs and working out at home aren't working for you right now. Seek inspiration elsewhere. The comment upon seeking a different mindset is bang on target. Studies have shown that people who focus exclusively on losing weight abandon their exercise programs sooner than all others. Why? Because progress can be slow, culturally we are trained to expect immediate gratification and true weight loss and fitness do not work that way, and because diet and exercise programs focus on deprivation and telling people what to do and what not to do. If you are anything like me, you bristle the minute someone tells you what to do and deprivation sends you on the immediate path to overdosing on the forbidden.

Rather than thinking of exercise and losing weight, get new goals. Focus on fun, enjoyment, building better bone strength, on the endorphin release from a fab step workout, on the faces of the people you pass as you stride down the street, on the excellent sound track playing in your earbuds while you run, on how your body feels so alive when you dance, swim, run, row, or just shake your booty with a bunch of friends one afternoon.

Rather than seeing weight loss as the goal, think fitness. It's a journey, one you step on for your whole life, sometimes you go fast, sometimes you go slow, sometimes you take a wee break, sometimes you sprint through it, other times you walk, or swim it, or twist yourself into a pretzel through it. It has ups and down, bumps in the road. Point is though, it's not something you should do. I hate "shoulds." Who needs that crap? We are busy and stressed enough. Fitness and physical movement are things you DESERVE to have and do.

Treat yourself. Tomorrow move your body in exactly the way you feel like doing. Ignore the DVDs. If it's a nice day, just hit the street and walk with excellent tunes. It will lift your spirits by the end of the first song: promise!

Anyway, who says you "need" to lose 30 pounds? Maybe you are fab just as you are? Ignore numbers and scales and aim to just feel better and feel good, whatever size and number on the scale that represents.

How do you feel now? How would you like to feel?

Clare

Last edited:
kswjetski - forgive me if this sounds harsh. Most of us here LOVE to work out, and work out HARD. Honestly, and I am in this boat too, the reason you may not be able to get "motivated" to lose your 30 lbs, is because you simply have not decided to change your diet to a manner that will fuel your workouts and allow you the energy to be productive, but then STOP. Most of us take in far too many calories, usually the wrong kind, and then wonder why we are stuck.

It's a pain-pleasure thing. Yes, we get pleasure from exercising our bodies and being fit, BUT we also tend to associate more pain than pleasure with the idea of a diet that strictly fuels our bodies, and cuts back (or eliminates) the idea of eating for social purposes. Until we get to the point where we associate pleasure with diet modifications that allow us to be strong and healthy, and, yes, the vanity component, look like we want to look/be comfortable in our skin, we won't change. Once you get there, you will be duly motivated.

Again, I apologize if that sounds harsh.

Lorrie is pretty spot on here! I have proved to myself over and over again that losing weight is all about diet and how much we eat, rather than how much we exercise. What is that saying.... you can't out-exercise a bad diet? It's so true.

Every single time I go off my workout routine (traveling), I lose weight. For me, the working out and running fuels my appetite, which in turn leads me to consume more calories. The more energy I expend, the more calories I need, and the more food I consume. It's pretty easy math for me.

My case is a bit different because I try NOT to lose weight. My exercise helps me with the desire to eat enough calories to maintain my weight and not lose the pounds I need on my frame. I just returned from a trip where I didn't work out or run the entire time -- it was almost 2 weeks. I lost close to 7 lbs in that time frame.

Now this is not to say that working out isn't a wonderful thing. It is. It's good for your muscles, your energy, your stress levels... so many things. But bottom line, not losing weight has nothing to do with what work outs you do or do not do.

Good luck with your journey to lose. I know it can be tough. Maybe cut back on your activity level and see if that helps with consuming less calories. As you get closer to your goal, you can increase your exercise to appropriate levels.

Weight loss is about diet. Workouts are about strength, maintaining your sanity, and cardiovascular fitness. They don't really make you lose weight. They can help with insulin resistance. They do help with depression.

I like IOWL (Inside Out weight loss podcast) for motivation. But, really, motivation comes from within, not from without. No workout will make motivation for weight loss. I find that workouts make tolerating weight loss easier. They help me with my energy level. I do watch my calories and what I eat. Everything matters. But, feeding your soul matters too. Are you depressed? Sometimes that can stall your desire to lose weight and take care of yourself.

For me, it is about taking care of myself. I had some hard times in my childhood, and I decided that I would take care of myself even if nobody else would. I think of myself as a treasured pet that I am responsible for. Its my job to look after me, my physical health, my mental health, my spiritual health, and my diet. If you had a child to care for, wouldn't you encourage her to have play time? Wouldn't you make nutritious meals for her, including healthy veggies, tasty protein, and fruits in season?

Now, I'm not saying there are no treats in my diet or that I'm perfect, but I do think that you are fighting your own point of view and mind set. It isn't going to be another workout that gives you your mojo back. Its you.

Hugs, I'm in the weight loss boat right now too.

Alisha

Lorrie,
You hit it right on the head, hopefully my head. I so needed to hear this. Not that I haven't heard it before, but for me, I allow myself to push the proper kind of thinking of "food for fuel" to the far recesses of my mind. Even when I do get frustrated enough to "do something", it only lasts a few days and I go right back to my crappy eating. Finding that motivation to stick with the better eating options is where I fail, time and time again. So thanks for the reminder.

Jean

Even Cathe can't fix a bad diet. It's just harder for some to give up favorite foods or downsize portions, so it's all about finding a way to eat that you can live with it and that works for you. Some can have small portions of their favorite foods, others a small portion will set off a binge and so on, some need to eat absolutely clean and no processed foods, others do ok with some processed foods and there are many other factors of course.

All that said, when my diet is in place, for me that's mostly clean eating, mostly vegetarian diet with a focus on fruits and vegetables, nuts, seeds- doing circuit style workouts really helps get the fat burning off faster, Cathe style circuits, The Firms AWT, etc and barre workouts to help firm and shape up my legs and butt.

kswjetski, when I read your post I made zero assumptions about you. I have no idea what your diet is, how often you workout, or if you even need to lose weight at all. Some of the other comments may have been helpful and some of them may have been completely off base because the initial post didn't have enough information. Maybe you aren't losing weight because you work out really hard, follow a strict diet, but are over training and under eating which is causing your body to be in starvation mode. Maybe you are doing everything by the book but have a tyroid condition. It could also be that you are stressed out right now and not sleeping enough which will also cause you to have problems losing weight. I think we would all love to give you some advice but personally, I would like to know a little bit more about what you are doing now that isn't working for you.

kswjetski, when I read your post I made zero assumptions about you. I have no idea what your diet is, how often you workout, or if you even need to lose weight at all. Some of the other comments may have been helpful and some of them may have been completely off base because the initial post didn't have enough information. Maybe you aren't losing weight because you work out really hard, follow a strict diet, but are over training and under eating which is causing your body to be in starvation mode. Maybe you are doing everything by the book but have a tyroid condition. It could also be that you are stressed out right now and not sleeping enough which will also cause you to have problems losing weight. I think we would all love to give you some advice but personally, I would like to know a little bit more about what you are doing now that isn't working for you.

kswjetski didn't post in response to you or anyone else. She only made one post comment that I could find.

For the OP (Kswjetski) here's a blog I found and I thought perhaps it would help you in a way these comments can't.

IMPERFECT Urchins « Dances With Fat

Sometimes a different perspective is all you need. When I read it, I thought about you and this forum thread. Life is what you make of it. being 30 pounds over weight or being the perfect isn't going to change the core of your personality. It won't be something people remember and celebrate at your funeral. True friends and family will not judge you based on your shell, but the content of your character. Losing 30 pounds won't make for a lifetime of happiness, it will for a while until you find another flaw, gain a few pounds, find a new jiggle somewhere, and so on.

Just a fun factoid: Only 3-5% of people that lose weight will keep it off for more than 5 yrs. That's a 93-97% failure rate when it comes to weight loss. You can find these stats at many, many medical and research websites as these studies have been being conducted for 40 yrs, if not longer. Instead of focusing on losing the weight and making yourself feel like a failure for not being someone else of having that "prefect" body with the perfect diet, and the perfect balance of everything, focus on being a better, more lively person. Focus on who you want to be and let everything else go. Society and scales matter not. Some people want to live a life of deprivation, macronutrients, food morality, clean eating, exercise schedules, and so on. Others don't. It doesn't make either side better than the other. You just have to think about what kind of life you want to have and roll with it and forget about the judgement... ESPECIALLY from yourself. Because at the end of the day it's ok to be just YOU! When you can go to bed at night and be thankful for your life and it's blessings and know you were a good person during the day and celebrate the love within your house and heart, than that's a successful day and a wonderful life! If all you focus on are those smaller jeans, you lose the beauty of seeing the smiles, the hugs, the moments that could have been if your focus was on living a better life overall.

Off my soap box.

Last edited:
kswjetski didn't post in response to you or anyone else. She only made one post comment that I could find.

This is exactly why I posted what I did. I didn't want to assume it was her diet...even though I will admit that it's not an unreasonable assumption. I thought a lot of the advice provided to her was good information and very useful to everyone...I just didn't know if it was what she was looking for or needed.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.