I HATE shopping!!!

Jillie

Cathlete
My husband called me this AM to tell me we have dinner reservations at a fancy restarunt on Sat (our ann.) well, I've nothing "dressy" to wear.. so.. I made a HORRIABLE mistake, and went to JCPenny's to look for a "little black dress"....I grab a size 8 the size I THOUGHT I was in...go into the dressing room.. and can't even get it up to my hips let alone, over them... I took a deep breath, and went and got a size 10, take that into the dressing room, and.... can get it up to my hips but not over my hips.. so.. I try to put it on over my head... Ummmmm NO DICE... so.. with tears in my eyes.. I go back to the rack.. and grab a 12... PERFECT fit.. in the hips... HUGE on the top.. and waist..WHAT is going on here??.... I'm SO upset.. I finally gave up, grabed a nice top, to go with a size 8 skirt I have at home... Maybe I'm being too hard on myself... because I still haven't reached my goal weight by my goal date..... (my goal date was my ann.) I know I've read other posts on here about the sizes of clothes.. but my goodness.. Where on earth can I find a dress that fits my apparently huge hips.. but itsn't too big on the top...
My figure looks so cute in workout clothes, my little hipster yoga pants, and sweat pants.... but stick jeans or a dress on me.. and YOWZERS... what happend??!!! lol Any advice??? Where to get clothes designed for a REAL womans apparently enormous curves?? LOL... Ok I think I'm done...
Thanks for the vent Ladies...

Jillie,

No real suggestions where to shop, but you just sounded like you needed a {{{{{HUG}}}}} and I thought I'd send one.:)

And know, we ALL have gripes about the clothes we shop for...it seems I should've been a boy, not a lot of curves.:)

You really can't go by sizes, so please don't let putting on a larger size pull your spirits down.

BTW Happy Anniversary.:)

It's good to remember that dresses are about the worst object one can buy. Very few women are the same size on top and bottom; therefore, dresses tend not to be flattering. I've had the best luck with wrap dresses in nice drapey, jersey fabric.

Hang in there!!

{{hugs}}
Marie

Jillie,

I have that same figure as you. Curvy!! Small waist, bigger hips. Yes, those all-one-piece dresses are not made ready-to-wear for us.

Back in the day when most women sewed, we could make our own dresses. No matter what your figure (within reason) you could look very sharp, because when your clothes really fit right you just look really classy.

If you sew at all, why not just buy a length of cloth and wrap it around you, sew some, try on, sew, try, till it's done? I have done that and it's fun, cheap, and works great. Took me about half a day plus another 2 hours, but it was all fun.

Oops my last sentence didn't make any sense.....that's what happens when you type too fast, your brain is slow and it is way past your bedtime...hehehe, but I think you can catch the gist of it.

Nite all,
Robin:)

It may be the make. It is made for twiggy.
I am small chested and have a butt. I have the same problem.
Look at who makes them .
AE clothes run bug. Tommy runs small.It is the designer.
Try for something that flows at the hips.
Don't fret.
I need to go buy summer stuff and i an=m dreading it. I used to love to shop. Now i hate it.
Good luck,
Anne
http://www.picturetrail.com/acatalina

i have the same problem when it cames to dresses. at one time in my life i use to wear top anywhere from a 4-6 and the bottom size was 10-12. tell me what kind of dress will fit those measurements. I don't buy dresses any more. i don't think i have more than 10 dresses in my closet. I just buy pants and skirts these days. i have hips and a big butt. the dresses are always too big on top and too tight at the bottom. even the waist area is always big. when i wear a skirt i always told i have a nice figure. with a dress is no shape at all.
I also hate shopping for jeans. when i find a jean that fits nicely i buy more than one since i don't know if i will ever find one that is going to fit nice on me. when i wear jeans i have to have a belt on because the waist is always too big. and it is not like a have a 24 inch waist.
i feel you pain.
violet

Thank you all for your advice and kind words... I KNOW in my head, not to pay attention to sizes, and scales.. but.. its SO hard..I could have bought the size 12 dress, for $89 and had it altered for $100 lol, I usto think it was me, i was too heavy for all the "cute" outfits.. and maybe a couple years ago I was, but I KNOW I have lost weight and gained a wonderful work out program, muscle tone, and lost inches.. and I know size's all differ by designer/brand... It just makes me NUTS... I know, I'm preaching to the chior... We can KNOW these things.. but accepting them, and going with the flow, is difficult isn't it??
I don't know what I'd do without you, all your advice, support, and espically the understanding you all have. Thanks again
Robin, wonderful poem, I'm going to print it out, and put a copy on my fridge, and in my bathroom. thank you!

Me too! I use to wear a small/medium top and now I have to wear a medium/large (It ain't my boobs filling it out either) its my MUSCLES. So keep that in mind too. I have created (with Cathe's help) back, arm and chest muscles and I love it. No-one needs to know your size just like your weight. Anyway if you look good and know it that is all that matters.

beth6395

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.