I hate dressing rooms!!

pjlippert

Cathlete
There are few things on this planet that can shatter my self-esteem than dressing rooms. I know I've posted this before but I'm particularly traumatized since I was just in one today. I strutted- yes, I said strutted into Kohls today knowing I needed some smaller sized pants. (thank you, Cathe!).

I found some very cute ones .... I gotta say, though it took ALL of my courage to open my eyes as I pulled up the smaller size. While they look good (and I did buy ONE pair), the image of how aweful that cursed lighting made my skiin & body look was devestating!! :eek::eek:

Granted trying on clothes pales in comparison to bathing-suit and bra shopping. :rolleyes: I've said it before and I"ll say it again. The ONLY way to make that experience even remotely fun is to serve martini's or other strong alcoholoic beverages, flattering lighting & to top off the experience have very handsome men praising us for how amazing we look.... "oh honey--- nobody has ever looked better in that bathing suit".... "that totally makes you look like a fitness model" "didn't I see you on the cover of that magazine or was it the Red Carpet?"... you get the gist!! :eek::eek:

Come on gals, share your pain with me....just let it out, you'll feel better!! :D:eek:

A very humbled Pam!

The reason you look so bad is that almost all retailers use flourescent lighting. They are green, so you now have a lovely green tint that makes you look dead. Did you know that one of the ways we make people look dead in the movies is to give them green makeup? Its true. Also, I would never photograph anybody in flourescents because they are hideous and will make even the most gorgeous girl look ugly.

So, my advice is, don't look inside the grim box, step outside in the pants and look there. It will save on time spent with a therapist.

Alisha

Hi Alisha- that makes total sense!! Next time I watch a movie with dead people, I will look at the tint of their skin! Next time I will step outside the dreaded box to more friendly lighting!

Happy Saturday!
Pam

I HATE shopping for clothes. I'm fat and the mirrors just bring it all up close and in your face. I look at myself in those mirrors and say - I can't be THAT fat !

But it does make me remember that I need to keep trying to make myself healthier.

How timely. I too went to Kohls today and walked out of the dressing room feeling deflated and gross. Nothing like a 3 way mirror and bad lighting to make you feel like crap!:mad: Needless to say I didn't buy anything.

It seems ironic that stores (that want you to BUY) would use dressing-room lighting that makes one look so bad. If I owned a clothing store, I'd have lighting that mimicked candlelight (which is oh-so flattering)!

It seems ironic that stores (that want you to BUY) would use dressing-room lighting that makes one look so bad. If I owned a clothing store, I'd have lighting that mimicked candlelight (which is oh-so flattering)!

Great point and awesome idea Kathryn! :D

Why is it that I look 10 times worse in a dressing room mirror than in all other mirrors!? It is so frustrating. I have quite a bit of weight to lose, and I find clothes shopping to me a miserable experience. It doesn't help that I usually have to try on at least 10-20 pairs of pants before finding one that remotely fits. That makes me have to spend more time in front of those scary three way mirrors.
If they really want their customers to want to buy things, why don't they use more flattering lighting?

I agree...I've often wondered why they don't use better lighting as it sure would increase their sales! Many times I've come out feeling sooo down after thinking I've made big changes in my body with my workouts. My hubby is always afraid to look at me when I walk out of a dressing room! Ha!

I hear you Pam! I HATE trying on clothes in Kohls. It makes me want to go play in traffic afterwards. I'll be in there soon looking for a new bathing suit and I may just have to bring some alcohol in in a baby bottle to get me through it!

My answer for dressing rooms is on line shopping. Then you can try it on in the comfort of your own house. Luckily I know what looks good on me so it is usually not a chore.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.