I do not feel good

clareMc

Cathlete
Dear all:

I feel bad and cannot explain why: do any of you recognize these symptoms?

I have been working out with Cathe dedicatedly since Jan 2002, and the last workout I did before my Summer vacation was interval Max, at home, no trouble, in 96 degree heat. I worked out all Summer at home without a/c and was totally used to it.

We went on a hiking trip to Montana with the kids at start of August: 8, 11 miles per day, not too fast pace, kids are only young, but I felt great, fit and healthy.

After getting back, I had a terrible two weeks of great stress, thinking I might lose my place on my PhD program due to financial reasons. I also got very depressed about my PhD in general: I do have a history of depression.

I didn't work out for a week, then I did Rythmic step and Power Hour two days later, and felt a little rusty, but getting back into it again.

in the last five days I have felt really weird: I suddenly got heart palpitations, racing heart, and felt dizzy, and had to lie down for five minutes to calm myself down. I was not exercising at the time. Last night I went out for power walk --usually extremely easy for me-- and after one hour I felt light-headed, dizzy, felt I was going to fall over and faint and had to stop and plod home very slowly.

What is happening to me? Are these the symptoms of aenemia? Could it be stress-induced do you think? Is this panic attacks? I have not eaten much or well over the last week because I feel so stressed out: can that be responsible for these symptoms?

I am frightened to work out again, in case I fall over or something. It doesn't make much sense, I was so fit!

Any suggestions? All help welcome

Clare

If you were on a hiking trip, think back about ticks. Were you bitten or were there ticks around anywhere? A friend just went through a TBI (tick borne illness) recently with similar symptoms.

Do you have a fever?

Clare,

It is hard to say what is causing this. Panic attack came to mind while I read your post, but then I also wondered "what is she eating?". I think you should see your doctor; better to be safe than sorry.
Cari

thanks for the reply

I don't think I have fever, I'm stil standing and walking about and teaching my classes: fever wouldn't allow me to do any of those things...

Clare

Yes do have the tick thing checked out. I met someone recently who had lyme's disease. She didn't have the customary red ring where the tick had attached itself...

Not eating enough could definately contribute too.

I hope you feel better.

-joy

Cari:

I went to the docs this afternoon.

They took blood to check for anaemia, which they said could have caused all of these symptoms. They did an ekg too, which they said was slow --to be expected from someone who works out so regularly-- but they were happy with it.

So, I just have to eat well, not exercise too much for a little while, and check for lab results next week...

Thank you all anyway for advise and concern

Clare

You've been advised again & again to see your doctor. I can't stress enough the importance of that if you've been hiking in the woods. My husband went on a cabin camping trip in July. He came home with a tick (he found it on his leg while showering). Three weeks later, found a strange type of rash -- not the bulls eye rash they tell you about with lyme's. He waited for another week & it didn't go away. Finally went to the doctor to be diagnosed with lyme's. He took a really strong antibiotic for 2 weeks and hasn't had any recurring symptoms.

I also thought stress/anxiety attacks when reading about your stress levels. Worry over losing your place in the phd program must be very stressful. If it is just stress, that, too, should be treated by a health professional.

Work out with less intensity. Exercise can eleviate stress. I hope you feel better soon.

Deborah

Hi Clare,

This is so weird... I recently had the exact same experience you described. I am also doing a PhD and I wrote my comprehensive exam two weeks ago. In the few weeks preceding the exam, I felt extremely anxious and depressed and I also experienced dizzy spells and heart palpitations during and immediately following my workouts. I attribute these symptoms to exhaustion and anxiety. Now that the exam is behind me (still awaiting the results...) the symptoms have disappeared, although I still feel abnormally tired. So I don't have any great advice, but I wanted to tell you I can relate. Please take care of yourself and best of luck on the continuation of your PhD...

Dear Clare,

My impression from your post is panic attacks associated with stress. I read recently (in Men's Health magazine, no less) that stress is just a psychobabble (coined in the 1930's) for fear and fears. Fears occur in everyday life for all of us. So if you are having panic attacks from stress (and it may not be that) then try and face each fear even though you are feeling afraid. This will be good for you because you will not let fear get the best of you.

If this does not apply to you, please just ignore it. But if you are suffering from this, beware of letting yourself get run down.

I see many cases of a certain type of gum disease, gingivitis (Acute Ulcerative Necrotizing Gingivitis, or "ANUG") in students having particularly stressful final exam sessions. (I'm a dental hygienist.) This is a rapidly spreading, painful condition of the gums. A PhD-related stress bout could increase your risk of that. So please eat right and let your friends help you out as much as possible. Take walks.

Remember, how important is the timing for your PhD? If it doesn't come around this time, you can still complete it at some point (right?) Brush and floss well and drink your water! :7 And call your dentist immediately if you have some gum problem.

A Sante (did I spell that right?)
-Connie

Thank you ladies for your kind words. I do have fears about this whole PhD thing and it does get the better of me. It's weird how these things can have such a powerful effect on the body physically. Yesterday I dragged myself around all afternoon and by evening felt like an old woman with fatigue. Suddenly I panicked that I might have mono. That would be really terrible as far as making academic progress is concerned.

I really don't think it's a tick thing, all I saw in Montana were mosquitoes and black fly, I have no marks from ticks on my body, no fevers.

Now I am starting to take paxil to help with the depression and anxiety, and so of course I feel totally light headed, floating around mentally.

How long does this last, anyone know? Are there ugly side effects with this drug?

Clare

Clare: I have recently been experiencing the same types of symptoms. I am a regular exerciser and have been for years. I am recently very tired and have been having what I think are heart palpitations, although I feel the rushing heartbeat up higher in my chest, maybe three or four fingers down from my collarbone on the right side. It happens sporadically throughout the day, but much more when I exercise. I went to see my general physician, and he did an EKG and didn't notice any abnormality (of course I didn't have a palpitation during the EKG). He thinks it will probably turn out to be nothing, but he is sending me to a cardiologist for a stress test to be sure. He said it could possibly be a thyroid issue, as that could cause the palpitations and can be difficult to diagnose. If you don't think it's a stress-related problem, please trust your instincts and keep pursuing it. I think doctors are sometimes too quick to write off to stress anything they can't fit neatly into another diagnosis. I go to the cardiologist this Tuesday. Good luck to you.

Lynda:

thanks for responding. I still don't have much info. I still feel pretty bad. If the anaemia turns out to be negative, then I don't know what. I just know that this is not me at all, and I will pursue it further, believe me.

I hope all goes well with the cardiologist this week, I am keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Clare

Hi Clare,

When I read your post I thought of exhaustion and stress.

The body is a wonderful thing and there are times when our minds can control our bodies. Then there are times where the body just says ... "Ok hon, I've been trying to give you signals. I've held up during a very stressful time for you. Now, dear ... you're going down. You're going to rest and take care of this thing called a body."

This happens to me as well. All of the symptoms that you describe. Even the depression. Again, all signs of trying to get you to slow down and just take a break ... a vacation for the body if you will.

I'm actually looking forward to seeing your test results. Usually white pasty skin and sometimes an iron taste in the mouth accompany an iron deficiency. I have been hospitalized twice for iron deficiency when I was younger. It’s pretty icky to get.

Don’t be surprised if it is exhaustion. If it is exhaustion, you’ll have to take a week or two and just lay around, eat well, hydrate, and just be a couch spud. It’s ok to do that … especially if that is what your body is demanding from you. Listen to it.

Please let us know of your results.

Keta. :D

[link:home.attbi.com/~marwrihu/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html|Home Page]

[link:mykbtfit.net/|KBT Forum]

Clare, I didn't see this recommended or I missed it. Make an appointment with your doctor to rule out any serious TBI's or maybe even Mononucleosis (which is rearing it's ugly head again).

I am no stranger to stress and related panic attacks. I have a diagnosed disorder. What you described sounds like my type of panic attacks. Some of the other symptoms you might expereince around a stress induced panic attack is the "Elephant Sitting On Your Chest", jerking vision, shallow breathing and general muscle tightness.

You sound like you have a lot on your plate right now and it wouldn't surprise me if your Dr. told you it was stress related.

Donna

Clare,
I have no idea how old you are, but if you are anywhere from about 35 years and up, this could be symptoms of pre-menopause.

I am 45, so I've paid attention to women who have symptoms already, so I'll know what to look for.

On a recent Oprah episode about menopause, Oprah related a story about heart palpitations. She said she started having them and went immediately to a cardiologist for tests. Of course, nothing was wrong with her heart, and they eventually figured out that she is starting menopause.

This may not apply to you at all, but thought I'd put the bug in your ear.
Hope you feel better soon!
Jeanne

Ladies:

thank you for your replies.

There are lots of suggestions I can take to my doctor and get checked out.

The blood tests were negative: I don't have anaemia. But when I went to teach today I had to fight off chronic stomach aches, nausea and nearly fell over with faintness. And I have been watching what I eat to make sure I eat healthily, so it wasn't from lack of food or nutrition. I fell asleep for three hours this afternoon -I never nap- and now at 10pm I can't wait to fall into bed again..

I am 37, so I suppose perimenopause is a possibility....

I just wish I could have my usual energy levels back... I'm back to the doctor's again this Thursday, see what else they can suggest.

Clare

Clare,

I am so sorry to hear you are not feeling well....I am wondering if it could possibly be the change in altitude? I know that can cause major problems...if not, stress and depression can certainly cause the same things..please feel free to e-mail me for any questions you might have...I am not a doctor but am in the medical field and I would really like to find out what the problem is....Feel better!!

Hi Clare,

It's exhaustion, my humble opinion. Your body is telling you to take a movement vacation. It's ok to do so. Matter of fact, it's probably one of the best things you could do right now. Just a week. Nap, be a couch spud, just be an inactive person and give your body that break. If you don't, it will make you suffer even more. If you think now is bad ... girl ... just wait. I hit massive exhaustion once and I will never ever hit that wall again.

Just my thoughts.

Keta. :D

[link:home.attbi.com/~marwrihu/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html|Home Page]

[link:mykbtfit.net/|KBT Forum]

Hi Clare, I hope you get back on your feet. I have to agree with some of the other post that this could be stress induced. I had two major break ups when I was in my early 20's and I got so sick one of the times. I couldn't get out of bed for a whole week. I was like a bad case of the flu without the stomach ache or vomitting. I think in my case it was pure stress and shock to my body, emotions. Try to slow down and take you problems one day at a time. Try not to worry about things you cannot control. Get better soon.
Tracy

Keta and all who responded:

Thank you for your concern.

I am back on my feet after two days in bed with terrible stomach aches, nausea and headaches that don't bear speaking about. I have literally spent the whole of the last week doing nothing on the couch at home or in bed. I feel better today --but am now losing my voice ready for teachng tomorrow!!! I think my body is just going through a bit of a breakdown all round and protesting about years of mistreatment!!

I reckon I'll do as Keta says: spend another week lounging around until I'm so sick of it, then I'll probably be ready again for a nice walk... I am getting interested in eating chocolate again: always a sure sign of recovery for me!!!!

I hope this will be the end of it. What's weird is how it took so long to develop. The human body never ceases to amaze me....

I wish you all the best of health!

Clare

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.