I deactivated my facebook account

I just deleted my gaming on there last night. It's so addicting and takes up so much time. :confused:
I am keeping my account open but there's not much to do on there anymore.

Guess that leaves more time to workout. :eek:

Pam

I thought about many times deactivating mine but it has allowed me to keep in touch with many friends and former classmates. It is a waste time that I could be used to work out or read a good book. Not being on it is empowering.

Instead of "defriending" people, you can block them so that their status updates don't show up in your feed. I have done that w/several negative people that I know!

I never got into any of these social networks b/c it's too time consuming and I'd rather be doing other things. I don't have the energy to keep up with any of it.

It's almost comical how people take fb so serious. The whole defriending people as an insult kills me. Whatever! I don't really care if people don't want to be my fb friend, I am not going to lose sleep over it. But some people take it so serious. It's totally addicting but I just like it to keep in touch with my friends I don't get to see or talk to too often. I also agree there is a lot of negative energy on there. Some people use fb as a diary and tell everyone everything...big mistake. But it does serve a good purpose if used right.

i think it's great for keeping in touch with family members, but i'm definitely not addicted and i am picky about who i befriend.

I don't friend any co-workers for just that reason! I have hooked up with so many friends that I haven't talked to in years due to my moving around so much! Now, I have a place to stay free of charge when we go to DC for our race and she has been up here to visit! It has been good for me to get back in touch with so many people!

I won't ever give up my FB account for that reason, but I really, REALLY need to become less addicted to that darn Farmville game! LOL!

I don't spend a great deal of time on Facebook because it does flash me back to high school and I too don't like the negative energy -- I have redirected my energy to Daily Mile -- it's similar to facebook except that it's athletes and people who are focused on working out. I love the encouragement the other people offer you -- and there are no games, farmville or other bs to absorb your time so the time you spend there is very small in comparisson and it gives you a positive feel good feeling about working out. Not to mention how inspiring some of the athletes are on there. Amazing stuff happening on Daily Mile. :)

Well, I did deactivate it, I didn't delete it permanently:rolleyes: I figure I may gravitate back towards it once the dust settles but I'll definitely keep my mouth shut a little bit more and use it primarily for keeping in touch with family and long distance friends. I may take ALL coworkers out as one of you suggested.

I just need a little breather, I suppose:eek:

Heidi

Instead of deleting coworkers, you can organize your facebook friends into groups, and then choose which groups see which status updates.

For example, in a recent update I made about some good news regarding my husband's health, I hid it from everyone except my "family" group. It wasn't something I'd share with people I went to high school with, coworkers, etc. but I wanted my extended family to know without making twenty phone calls.

Nothing wrong with that! I tend to get overwhelmed occasionally and just take a day away from my social media outlets to breathe and reset.

Well, I did deactivate it, I didn't delete it permanently:rolleyes: I figure I may gravitate back towards it once the dust settles but I'll definitely keep my mouth shut a little bit more and use it primarily for keeping in touch with family and long distance friends. I may take ALL coworkers out as one of you suggested.

I just need a little breather, I suppose:eek:

Heidi

I only check it once per day which helps reduce the time suck. I can definitely see how you could get yourself into trouble depending on what you post, but now that you've had that experience you can probably go back to it some time and be more careful about what you share.

I think it's normal to go overboard with new technology or new sites. Then you figure out how to make it work for you.

i've been contemplating doing this as well. I don't go on it alot and have it to keep in touch with family and friends. I'm not one to share lots of personal info to everyone on there or one to post about everthing i'm doing that day. Sometimes I feel by having this i'm copping out of calling and speaking with family and friends so it becomes impersonal.

I don't find it time consuming at all. I pop on, check The Feed, reply to comments or whatever and pop off. I don't have any apps or games on it. I have an Xbox and a Wii for that. I do like the easy access to old friends, but I keep my Chat status as Offline. I hate getting IM requests

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.