I am sooo sick of the word "diet"

jcm

Cathlete
I switched to a Paleo eating plan over a year ago and I love it. Within the last month I've been taking the whole thing further and following Mark Sisson's Primal Blueprint and adding more PB fitness exercises/workouts to my week, focusing more on sleep/rest ... it's really a whole lifestyle. And my husband (and others) keep wanting to know when I'm going to be done with this "diet." And the Paleo "diet" is all trendy right now to loose weight. I've never done a "diet" in my life because it seems to me a diet is a temporary solution to loose weight and as soon as you go off the "diet" everything goes back to how it was. I keep correcting people that this is a permanent lifestyle choice.

Okay, I just had to vent a little. I'll step down from my soapbox now :)

Jenny

Hi Jenny
I understand what u are saying.. I think no matter how we choose to manage health maintanince there will be na sayers. I too get tired of hearing people bash me on my lifestyle choices when it is not the norm. I mean really when did eating sweets really become normal? honestly if they tjink about it the processed food eating and mcdonalds and so forth isnt normal. It has becomee the norm and so has heart diseease and cancer in America. I am choosing to try and have a plant based eating plan and get so many negitive feed back it is unbelievable. I have seen data proving the typical American diet causes early death and disease but i dont push it on others but i get asked why am i trying to go on a radicle " diet" and get snarky comments from my sisters like why u eat like that.. I heaar "Or i eat what i want just portion control," ( she is a size 3, and i can hear her toss her food up in the bathroom and she dont exercise) another sister smokes cigs and drinks and says " no gotta have my meat and potatoes u gonna die of something .." Yet neither exercise, but complian about flabby skin. I have always been muscular and always exercised, im bigger,but im not in tjis necassarily to lose weight now, i used to be, but im trying to prevent RA, heart disease, diabeties, cancer all of what arre mom had. So like i repeat to them im trying to be healthy. I am a med assistant and a dental assistant so i know how important PREVENTATIVE care is & what it is about.
I agree with you. I get tired of ppeople telling me i should not exercise so much blah blah.. I lost 70 pounds exercising years ago and boy was i bashed alll the time. That was 20 yrs ago the last five yrs i started smoking again got lazy and ate crap... I gained 40 pounds, have osteopnea, joint damage,, blood pressure went up. I then hear one ssister make a comment about how big my bra is. Hum and tjis from one who claimed i got to skinny and made fun of me. I told them then i have to exercise or id get big as a house.. Now im going back to eating better and exercise..i stoped smoking, I have toned up, i reversed my opsteopnea, my blood pressure is 112/70 i have HR of 65 ,, i have joint pain still but i think if i get the weight off my knees it wiill help.. I am proof exercise and healthy eating is key.
They are acting again like im nuts but hey im NOT gonna stop, i feel to good to stop now.
Thanks for nringing this up!

Last edited:
It can definitely be frustrating. But girls, just keep with it.

Jenny, I too follow MDA and read Mark's books. I enjoy them. I'm not paleo but I am in love with his philosophy on life in general. I think he is a great and brilliant man and ver y personable and down to earth. I say, keep it up. Unfortunately, when people see others making changes, it often makes them realize the areas in which they themselves fall short (in their eyes) and can sometimes create hostility/animosity that comes out as "attacks" on an innocent person who is just making good positive choices/changes.

I know this because I used to be very defensive when people aroudn me would say they were going to "stop drinking" ... I didn't really care that they were stopping, but it made me focus on my problem, which came out as me saying "are you back off the wagon yet?" and stuff like that.

Just keep staying positive and make good choices. :) Use these boards and also MDA's boards (although be careful b/c some people on there are very "paleo or bust" lol). Another site I'd recommend is Nerd Fitness. :) it's paleo oriented but also very positve.

Candice - I've noticed that the forums over there - as well as over at Whole30 - can get a little ... ugly. Which is probably why I'm just a lurker and came over here to do my post!! Not sure if it's Cathe's members, the forum moderators or both that make this site so much more pleasant and "healthy." And yes - there are several people I haven't discussed these changes with because I don't want their grief! I too am trying to give up nightly cocktails - which often involves hanging out with neighbors. They are probably wondering why I've become such an antisocial hermit :)

Bearing in mind the definition of the word "diet" helped change my reaction to what other people say ...

Noun
1.The kinds of food that a person, animal, or community habitually eats.

So, YES, I am on a diet. We are all on a diet - unique to ourselves.

Bearing in mind the definition of the word "diet" helped change my reaction to what other people say ...

Noun
1.The kinds of food that a person, animal, or community habitually eats.

So, YES, I am on a diet. We are all on a diet - unique to ourselves.

I agree.
We are all on a diet!:D

When I first started eating vegan, my boyfriend would kind of jokingly say, "this is just a phase". I was like, whatever you say, maybe it is, maybe it isn't, who knows.

And then at one point we had a disagreement, it wasn't even about food, I think it was about me not wanting to attend some event that involved animal abuse, and he says kind of angrily, "I really thought this was just a phase".

I'm like that's your problem buddy, not mine!

And I heard some advice once, that when people get upset about what's on your plate (or what isn't on it, as the case may be), it's really saying something about them, not you. If people sense that you are happy with what you're doing, and they know deep down that they aren't happy with what they're doing themselves, they may feel frustrated and threatened and lash out. But just remember, it's about them, not you.

Diet is a four letter word!!! So is work...job should be a four letter word. Don't go on a "diet" do a lifestyle change.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.